Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What the hells going on

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by suewhite, Oct 7, 2013.

1. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

cainsian likes this.
  2. metame

metame PetForums VIP

That's shocking! We're meant to be promoting independence and dignity for these people not treating them like that.

3. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

It's disgusting isn't it- and I feel for the actual care workers- I doubt this system has anything to do with the actual people doing the groundwork.

Sad reflection on the standards in our society.

Made me feel sick this morning.

4. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

the mobile carer probably wont get paid whilst travelling between visits either, its the provider making the money

however, most of these cases are people would otherwise be in a care home, is that an acceptable alternative?

5. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Appalling.

Many old people just can't be hurried - my mum would only end up choking.

And a toielt trip takes more than 15mins.

So much for care in the community,and how horrible for the people in that work, knowing they are letting the people down.

I can't imagine how 15mins could be good for anything other than giving meds and a quick check all is OK.

6. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

It is absolutely disgusting and I am glad it is finally coming to light.
    I have been in these kind of situations myself and am very grateful that I don't have to live in fear that I am not going to get the care I need any more.

Care in the home, carehomes, hospitals etc need to be looked at and given a very good going over, it seems to me that money is more important then giving the humans that need help the help they deserve.

If we treated animals this way, it would not be acceptable, whoever did it would be labeled an animal abuser, yet we can treat humans this way! :mad:

7. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Your right they get paid just for the 15 minutes approx £2.49 and travelling time is down to them.No care home is not acceptable nor is the money these private firms actually charge the councils for the service.:(

8. LGD

LGD PetForums Junior

Having done domiciliary care myself I know how fast paced it can be but I never made anyone rush, the office were on my back more times than enough moaning I wasn't completing the calls quick enough. If it took me an hour to bathe, dress and feed someone then thats how long it took, no way could it be done in the allotted time of 20 minutes. I ended up leaving as they cut my hours down to practically nothing, now I work in a care home where you have time to care and talk to the people :smile5:

9. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Thumbs up to you, you are the sort of person the care services needs!

Please never change, you might not get told by many but what you do is far better and makes people feel better about themselves, then someone who insists on only staying for the time given and making the person feel bad about themselves.

Thank you for your hard work and dedication.:)

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

My best friend owns a care franchise and I can assure you she does not make that much money above her overheads and her girls are paid a daily rate. The problems lie with the councils who farm out these contracts, make the suppliers jump through hoops like you wouldn't believe and give the contracts to the cheapest supplier with NO consideration on how they intend to meet the costs involved.

Every year, the tender values get tighter and tighter leaving very little to account for the increases in the cost of living. My BF now works from home so the company can work out of a smaller office in order to keep the overheads down.

Additionally, let's not forget that some of the people being cared for can be very horrible and do make things very difficult for their carers and this can result in the carer running late for other appointments.

11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

It saddens me that the elderly and disabled are not given the respect they deserve, and angers me that govs do jack about it while wasting money on unimportant things.

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Yeah, let's needlessly waste billions killing badgers instead of trying to keep our elderly looked after and comfortable eh...

It makes you wonder how these idiots fail to see what is so glaringly obvious to the man on the street. :rolleyes:

Julesky likes this.
  13. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Mogs your BF maybe is a good employer but there are some that are just in it for the money.Yes like all walks of life some people can be difficult and horrible.I once did this sort of work and worked Sundays getting £8.55 per hour but the client was being charged £28.85 per hour.I fail to see if someone is travelling from job to job why they are not paid for it all part of there working day.:)

14. rona

rona Still missing my boys

There are care jobs on offer by the dozen in my area. No one wants to do them. It leaves the carers and firms that are covering this, stretched to their limits.

What do they do?

Stop care to some?

15. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

interesting, I wonder if it's pay or training issue if they cannot fill roles??

They shouldn't stop care, but sub-standard care could have very serious consequences.

16. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I think it's awful that in a 15 minute visits the carer is expected to help the person toilet, wash, dress and eat :( Even fully able I can't that

I can see on a pushed service 15 minutes just to check all is OK and make sure someone has taken their medication is doable but not if they need any other support

Valid points - care jobs are constantly advertised here as well.
    When I was made redundent I considered it - but was put off not by the job but by the targets/expectations and lack of support for the carer.
    If there are 20 people who need care and only 4 carers available what can they do?
    I'm not sure what the answer is though :confused:

17. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Well, I do.....

Proper pay and proper support.

In Britain, every constituency has its own MP, isn't it?
    If ALL voters in ALL constituencies would keep harrassing their MPs over this, it would become an issue soon enough.....

18. loganberry

loganberry PetForums Member

I have been a care worker for a long time and no we do not get paid for traveling nor do we get a mileage allowance. All our get up calls are 30 minutes with extra time allotted if the person is bed bound and requires hoisting. Lunch calls are 30 mins, tea calls are also 30 mins. Palliative care is always 1hr for mornings and 30 mins for all other calls. We only get double time for xmas day, new yr day and bank holidays. Weekend work earns us 28 pence more than the mon to fri rate. You learn to get all your jobs done in the time you have. It's stressful and soul destroying and the only ones making money are the councils.

19. cainsian

cainsian PetForums Member

So,so sad. Care cannot be provided in a 15minute time slot.

I live with and care for my Nan who is heading for the late stages of dementia. She has no independent living or personal care skills, she has no idea of danger. When she was assessed by social services we were informed that if I went into hospital or needed respite she would get two slots of half hour each day of care. I laughed hysterically and said well you would only need to visit once as she wouldn't make it through a day on her own :( some days it can take half an hour to take her to the toilet and clean her up.

2 years down the line of fighting with social services we can now have either a carer for a total 8 hours a day for a maximum of 20 days over a year. It's is an improvement but somebody still has to cover the other 16hours in the day :rolleyes: so have only managed to use 5 of the days.

The carer likes coming to us as she gets to spend time with Nan and provide proper care and isn't rushing around to many different places. Last time she left us she had 2 more jobs to go to and about 10 miles to travel by bus in total. Her agency were on the phone desperate for her to take more jobs.

Older people who do not have family or someone to fight their corner really lose out. Think it's disgusting how social services send all their care out to tender and it's all about saving money not looking after people. :mad:

suewhite likes this.
  20. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

This has made me so sad the thought of elderly people being treated like this,some day it could be any of us,me more so than some as I have no family so no one to fight for me I dread it:crying:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice