Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Supplement?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenShadow, Jul 21, 2009.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

OK so I know Roo is not even a year old, but I think I want to give him some kind of supplement. People do it a lot with horses and things like glucasamine, don't do any harm but prevention is better than cure surely, and so I don't want to wait until he is old and decrepid to give him something.

What kind of thing would you advise? I don't plan to drug him up or anything but just give him a bit of something in his food a couple times a week for his joints or something? I know pedigree do joint care stuff, but pedigree have such a bad reputation in some respects, and they are very expensive...

Any ideas/opinions?

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

a good food usually has all the stuff you need to be honest.

glucosamine is an ingredient in lots of premium foods as are probiotics etc.
    if he is ok i wouldnt mess ablout with supplements as too much can be as bad as too little.

3. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

if hes a year old you dont want to be giving him anything at all. They will get all of their nutrition out of the kibble you are giving - if its a good one then hell be fine. Giving him suppliments at this age will do more harm than good as their bodies are already producing exactly what is required for them. You only give suppliments once the dog is older and not able to produce adequate levels to sustain their bodies. around the age of 8 id say.
    Carrot, Apple, Swede things like that will be more of a benefit at this age - unless there is something medically wornd with him :)

4. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I don't supplement at under a year - they just need good food

Having said that my poor lad has glucosamine for his hips to try to protect them from further damage

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice