Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what sort of dog am I?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by debnige, Aug 6, 2009.

1. debnige

debnige PetForums Newbie

Please look at my picture and tell me what sort of dog you think i am
    thanks
    debs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Patterdale??

x

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yeah I would say Patterdale too

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Yep Patterdale in my opinion too!

5. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I have 2 Patterdales and that doggy looks like a mixture of both of mine!! Same colouring as my male with the coat and body shape of my female :D

I'd definately say Patty or Patty x :)

6. marion..d

marion..d PetForums VIP

yep..... patterdale...

7. debnige

debnige PetForums Newbie

that is what we think too, now can anyone clear up the patterdale fell terrier thing, ie is one the other or are they different breeds ?

8. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I have a patterdale, and would say he/she is definitley one :D Beautiful too

A Patterdale is very similar to the fell, some even say a Pattedale is a type of fell, but it all boils down to opinions really. There has been arguments ever since the first Patterdale was noticed, that it was not a "new" breed but was just an oddly coloured Fell. They can be mixed up very easily. Fell terriers are usually tan with slight black grizzle, however patterdales are jet black usually, with a white blaze and feet. But they are sometimes Tan. chocolate, tan and black and very very rarely blue, however these come from bull breed and lakeland lines etc.
    A Patterdale is a type of terrier not an actual breed, much like the lurcher. They have such things as border terriers, lakelands, staffies, bedlington terriers and fox terriers in the mix. So cannot be called specifically fell terriers, as they have different ancestory.
    Patterdales and Fells were considered basically the same thing and were often just called "fell terriers" , however since that Patterdale had been mixed so much. They gave it its own distinction, some people say that they are all the same that a Patterdale is just another type of Fell terrier. However they work the same, they are different in other aspects. In my own opinion they are different :)

#8 Patterdale_lover, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. debnige

debnige PetForums Newbie

thank you so much all of you. Charlie is a rescue, he was a stray thought to be about 2 years old, but we wonder if he is a little younger cos he has grown quite a bit since we had him in april and many people that see him think he is a puppy.
    he is the most sweet natured dog going, he loves people and other dogs and generally loves life

10. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I agree with patterdale terrier. He is beautiful and looks alot like my girl :D

You have got a fantastic dog there. :D

11. Patterdale_lover

Haha Patterdales tend to be decieving especially the broken coated type like mine and yours and a few other members on here
    My Bess is 3 years old and people always think she is about 6-10 months old. :D
    I would say he is about two years old. By the looks of him. But that can't really be accurate as i don't know how he acts :D
    This is my dog Bess :)
    [​IMG]

#11 Patterdale_lover, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

So these are my two.... would you say one is a Patterdale and one is a Fell? (my black one may possibly have staff in him somewhere as well, I think he has a more staffy like head and build than most Patterdales)

[​IMG]

I think the Patterdale/Fell debate is very interesting :)

13. Patterdale_lover

It is very interesting trying to distinguish which is which, and if in fact they are different at all. I would say Ruby is a Fell definitley. She has the typical tan with black grizzle. She has the typical body structure and features of a fell, Although we can never be sure. She is a little cutie by the way! :D
    Tiger is definitley a patterdale. Even if he does have staff in him. Staffs were bred in to the mix by some breeders, so he could be from those lines. He is the black smooth coat and fits the short legged description. He is a good looking chappy.
    However if you asked different people that are interested in the breeds of Fells and Patterdales, they may tell you they think they are both Patterdales or Both Fells, it depends on which side of the table they sit.
    Me personally i think there is a difference between the two. Patterdales are 95% black with white blazes were as the fell is i think something like 98% tan with some sort of grizzle. The two percentages are so high, there is obviously a difference in the breed, or "type" and so (i think) should have different names.
    But i would from my point of view think that Ruby is a Fell and Tiger a Patterdale! Both gorgeous! :D You should be proud.

14. My-Terriers

My-Terriers PetForums Member

All my pennies are on Patterdale!

15. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I was looking up the differences a couple of weeks back... we were never sure what Ruby was and I saw a Fell Terrier on the rescue section on here and he looked just like her - red coloured with darker ears, so I looked into Fell Terriers and got reading about the whole patty/fell debate :) I do think there are differences, the Fells seem to have a more defined 'type' than Patterdales, since in Patterdales you tend to get the different coat types and like you say, the different builds, whereas Fell Terriers all seem to be fairly similar :) I definately think Tiger has Staffy in him, he's even got a staffy smile :laugh: but wether he's a direct cross between Patterdale and Staff or if it's just in his lines, i'll never know! But whatever he is, he's a complete clown :D

He's living up to his name at the mo, my dad is painting the conservatory white, so at the moment he really does look like a Tiger cos he keeps running in with stripes of white paint across himself :laugh:

One of my friends has a chocolate Patterdale, i'm so jealous! I think the chocolates are stunning, it's a wonder you don't see more of them about :) i've never seen a blue one though - bet they're lovely :D

16. Patterdale_lover

Yeah, Fells are pretty much the same colour all the time, varying in richness or depth of the colour, as you say you saw a red colour then you can get almost a wheaty colour. Where as Patts have different colours although they are mostly black, then chocolate being second, tan being third black and tan, red and blue are all the same, very rare. I really would like to see a blue patterdale. It obviously got this colour coat from its staffy ancestory.

I think Bess comes from Lakeland/border maybe some Bedlington lines. As she is a long-legged type. The short-legged nearly all the time have Staffs in 'em. As you would have probably noticed, the smaller patterdale does have a very wide mouth and wide chest, like a staff. A few people used to call Patterdales Italian Staffies :confused: In America i think. :D

As said Patterdales are 95% black, so it is unusual to come across another colour. I see a few chocs at shows, they sometimes have green eyes. Most a broken coated. But don't have the same dense coarse coat as the black for some reason :confused: Maybe this is why there are so many blacks, as they have the btter coat for hunting for long periods of times. I'm going to have a scan on the internet now :p But Patterdales are a mysterious breed, no one really knows everything about them.

Apart from they are cracking dogs for putting to ground and snuggling on the sofa!:D

Awhh bless him! bet he will be needing some baths ;) When re-painting our sitting room, Bess would get a splodge on her head or something and she would look like a right idiot :p

17. marion..d

marion..d PetForums VIP

my patterdale has the white blaze on her chest but she also has the tiny white beard and a ginger tash, she is only just a year old and gets taken to be a pup all the time
    IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

18. Patterdale_lover

Awhh she is a cutie!
    Yes blacks genrally have white blazes, white beards and tips of white paws. The ginger tash is were she has been out in the sun and has been bleached. Bess has brownish markings on her ears and head were she is in the sun :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice