UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not just nosy ;)

I'm thinking of getting my SS a new collar and I suspect I might not be the only one... but there are so many different styles I wouldn't want to get something that might not be to their taste. Half check, regular fastening, semi slip, leather*, material, bright colours, character style... the list is endless :scared:

So, I thought it might be a good idea if we all put our collar preferences on here and I just hope my SS replies :lol:

I'll start then :D

I only use half checks on Alfie and it's a waste putting him in leather* as he gets so mucky it would be ruined very quickly. I love any sort of bright coloured ribbon/webbing, he looks particularly fetching in red ;)

* I suspect leather might be out of most of our budgets anyway!

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Both my boys have webbing half checks from indi-dog, she does very sturdy collars in all different colours and patterns. Tummels neck is wider than his head so normal collars aren't an option for me and I think half checks look quite smart too :D

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I prefer the padded webbing collars too,I have tried leather and have bought many over the years,but for some reason I just don't like them when I put them on the dogs.:rolleyes:

Craven wears a Half check or Martingale.

Flint wears a Flat or Martingale,and occasionally a Half check.

eta oops just realised it's for SS and I'm not taking part.:eek:

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Millie uses either a 1/2 check or flat collar.

Her neck is 16 inches in a flat collar and a 1/2 check needs to go down to 13-14Inches once 'checked'.

We have 1 leather collar and its never ben used - Definately prefer padded webbing :)

Any colour goes with us as long as it isnt boyish ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heya,:)

Glad I came across this thread. I am getting a new staff puppy soon and I have very little knowledge on the details (I only had a cat before).

I love presents, so I bought her one gorgeous charm, one of those Exquisite Charms of London, if you guys know. It's stunning,silver, absolutely gorgeous.

However, I am concerned about her wearing it. I fear she will swallow it or lose it. I am guessing the better the collar, the least likely is that accidents will happen.
Do you guys put charms on your pets' collar?
Any advice?
Would a simple leather one be good?

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Do you find it hard to get nice boy patterns? I always struggle to get manly designs.
It is hard; fabric collars tend to be 'cute' for smaller boy dogs or quite girly. Mine are TillyMint and I love the black one with bright squares - really suits. Leather is obviously fine as you just choose the colour!

Heya,:)

Glad I came across this thread. I am getting a new staff puppy soon and I have very little knowledge on the details (I only had a cat before).

I love presents, so I bought her one gorgeous charm, one of those Exquisite Charms of London, if you guys know. It's stunning,silver, absolutely gorgeous.

However, I am concerned about her wearing it. I fear she will swallow it or lose it. I am guessing the better the collar, the least likely is that accidents will happen.
Do you guys put charms on your pets' collar?
Any advice?
Would a simple leather one be good?

My TillyMint half checks all came with charms on.....they lasted minutes few with Kilo tearing about. I wouldn't put any expensive charms on collars that will be worn offlead.

Whilst your dog is a pup I'd start with a simple webbing collar as she'll probably get through a few as she grows. Perhaps get a lovely leather one once she has done most of her growing?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you find it hard to get nice boy patterns? I always struggle to get manly designs.
I know you weren't asking me :lol: but as a self confessed collar addict I just had to reply ;)

I definitely think there's more choice out there for girlie collars :( Tillymint has quite a few lovely boyish designs (the squares one especially) and for ready to wear Quido Petz have quite a lot of choice :)

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I prefer padded webbing collars for Lucky. She usually wears a flat collar. Currently we are going through a green and turquoise phase but also like black with a pattern :D

I think a half check or martingale would look good on her though :D

Luckys neck size is 13 inches

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Although I have a girl dog, I'm always on the lookout for boyish "manly" designs for others as they are hard to come by & the squares one is popular with the boys;)
The charms I do are novelty factor & they do fall off which is why I include them free with a collar... I just like them :) although I have started pulling off the clips which attach them & replacing them with split rings which might make them last longer. Tilly's ID tag is on a split ring & that never falls off.

I'm not normally really big on cartoon type designs on collars (unless asked) but I love pacman design which is quite gender non specific & will be Tilly's next collar on black for the winter:D
Sorry going off topic..... I doubt Tilly would get a collar in her SS anyway, but would quite like to see if our recipient has a preference;)

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Although I have a girl dog, I'm always on the lookout for boyish "manly" designs for others as they are hard to come by & the squares one is popular with the boys;)
The charms I do are novelty factor & they do fall off which is why I include them free with a collar... I just like them :) although I have started pulling off the clips which attach them & replacing them with split rings which might make them last longer. Tilly's ID tag is on a split ring & that never falls off.

I'm not normally really big on cartoon type designs on collars (unless asked) but I love pacman design which is quite gender non specific & will be Tilly's next collar on black for the winter:D
Sorry going off topic..... I doubt Tilly would get a collar in her SS anyway, but would quite like to see if our recipient has a preference;)
The split ring ones we had lasted far, far longer! I love the charms; the undergrowth doesn't :mad:.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
The split ring ones we had lasted far, far longer! I love the charms; the undergrowth doesn't :mad:.
I know, on my local walk, the bushes must be covered in little sparkly bones & paws:lol:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts

I think Zimba still has his charm but some of the sparklies have fallen off. I like them, it gives him an air of approachability :D

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The pickles have all sorts of collars, half checks, buckle, flat collars, semi slip. They are all webbing and 25mm thick, they are always wet, or covered in mud or poo so has to be something that I can fling in the washing machine and will dry easily! I prefer the half checks but my hubby prefers the flat collars!

Any colours are fine, Branston currently has one green, one red, one orange and one blue! Lily has one beige, one purple, one lilac and one yellow!

ETA: to add sizes - I think they are both around 16 inches from memory!

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
Stupid question time. I have a flat collar for Molly as when I read about half checks, I was told they were cruel. Is that correct or is Dr Google being over reactive? I need to get Molly a new collar and wondered if a half check was good or not given that she still as a tendency to lunge on the lead?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.