Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What small breed of dog would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alicia2011, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Alicia2011

Alicia2011 PetForums Member

I am hopefully getting a dog in a few years, and I've been thinking about what type of dog I'd like for a long time, and as I look into different breeds I keep changing my mind (so I've started looking into the different breeds early to give me time to make sure I definetly choose the right breed)
    I like big dogs, especially rottweilers, but I've been thinking more about it and I think a smaller dog would probably be best for me.
    I would like a dog with as few health problems in the breed as possible (I know this is no guarantee, and most dogs will get ill at some point in their life) and also, not too hyper and excitable, maybe about two 45 minute walks a day. I don't really mind a dog needing a lot of grooming, and I think I'll still have guinea-pigs, rabbits and a cat by this point so a breed that, with training, could be ok with these.

2. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

Shelties may suit you :)

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Off the top of my head...
    cavalier, lhasa apso, mini poodle.
    also westie, mini schnauzer, and whippets are nice, but abit iffy with small furries.:)

4. Alicia2011

Alicia2011 PetForums Member

Thank you :) I don't really like cavaliers, only because I know they can have so many health problems, I'll look into the other breeds, thank you :) I thought shelties and miniature poodles would need a lot of exercise?

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Shih Tzu - you need to allow for regular trips to the groomers - but they are a lovely easy going breed :D

If you are able to I highly recommend going to crufts or discovery dogs, meeting some different breeds and chatting to their owners :)

6. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

Bichon frise? As far as I know they are pretty healthy breed.....do have hefty grooming requirements. They may be white and fluffy but they don't know that they are great little dogs, I love all dogs but never seen myself with a tiny dog but I could be tempted by a bichon. Or what about a Boston terrier, they can be expensive to buy and parents should be eye tested but they gorgeous....like tiny boxers :D

7. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

Aww, I wanted to say Papillon (very trainable and absolutely delightful little dogs) but then remembered they can be quite lively and, dare I say it, excitable little buggers at times. Providing they have adequate mental stimulation though they're generally lovely to live with, a friend is pretty much wheelchair bound and gets tired easily but finds her four very easy to deal with. Even if they do like the sound of their own voices. German Spitz (Mittel or Klein) could be an option. Lots of grooming, very bright and quick to pick things up, they're another fairly active not-so-little little dog though. A lot of smaller breeds do need a fair bit of exercise and mental stimulation, more than people realise at times. If you can give them something to do with their mind (even if it's just odd tricks here and there) they are brilliant companions.

Two 45 minute walks a day should be enough physically, if you can keep them intellectually stimulated anyhoot.

I second (or is it third/fourth/whatever by now?) going and chatting to everyone in the Discover Dogs section at Crufts. Very informative, lovely people and you get a real feel for the breed.

8. Bea

Bea PetForums Member

I am biased but will say Toy Poodles :)

I am a dog walker and have walked many different breeds over the last 15 years.

They don't moult, hence they don't smell, don't cost alot to feed as they are small, so do little poo's lol, 2 lots of 45 mins would be plenty but they can run all day if you want them too :)

They are trainable and loving, my two are fine with our rabbit.

Toy poodles are big dogs in little bodies :)

#8 Bea, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I second toy poodles or bichons :)

10. Tula&Iver~cavs

Tula&Iver~cavs PetForums VIP

I would have said Cavalier but you've already said you don't like them due to health problems, but if you went to the right breeder then the pup would more than likely be a healthy pup.
    poodles are Fab little dogs :)

11. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I would say

- Shih Tzu
    - Bichon Frise
    - Toy/mini poodle

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If I was looking for a small dog, I'd go for a Tibetan Spaniel. Nice little dogs, not too much grooming, look slightly similar to CKCS but without the health problems.

13. LauraIzPops

LauraIzPops PetForums Senior

I have cockapoos :D They're brilliant! But obviously crossbreeds & not pedigrees.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice