Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, May 12, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

It get extremely hot here in the summer, and very very humid. Up to 45 celcius.
    Right now we 're still at 30-35 celcius.
    We wake up early to do a 1 hour morning walk, do a very tiny toilet walk early afternoon, and at 6.30 we go to the dog park until it's dark at 8, and then another wee walk at night before bed.
    We also play lots outside at night.

The problem is:
    at night it is much cooler outside than it is inside the house, and i don't blame Bella for prefering to be outside. However, I don't feel safe leaving her outside unsupervised while I sleep, so I bring her in and I feel terribly guilty about it:( We open the windows for a breeze but she is still hot as she lies sprawled on the floor;(

The aircondition in my room is currently broken which isn't helping things (will probably need replacing and whole process will take at least a month), as it would be cooler with that on.

We have a computer room in the basement which is cooler than my room, so I am thinking of moving there at night as Bella will be cooler, but I still feel really cruel bringing her in when I know it is so nice and fresh outside.

I am not sure she would be happy outside if I was in my room, as I am always on the couch (near the door that opens outisde) while she outside and she comes inside every now and then to check I'm still here, so she is worried about where I am.

I hate the hot summers here, Nelson suffered with them, especially when he wasn't ill (we had him in the ac 24/7 apart from a few short walks), and now I don't know what to do about Bella's sleeping arrangements.

So after this very long rambling post, my question is? do I bring Bella inside at night? Or leave her outside where it is cooler? (I feel very unsafe leaving her outside btu I am wondering if I am being cruel and selfish not to).

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

No advice, but where do you live- I always assumed you were UK.

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think your head should rule your heart on this one and her safety should come first. Maybe the idea re the basement would work?
    So glad I dont have that problem and really feel for you. We think its bad enough here when it gets hot (if it does:lol:)
    Good luck in finding a solution x

4. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

want to swap houses? I'm dying for hot weather now!!
    Where are you?

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

We live in Cyprus. Not by the sea though, we live in Nicosia.

Thankfully we go to Greece in the summer, we have a flat in an island there, and Bella will have a choice of 2 balconies to sleep on:)

Until then methinks it will be the basement. You are right, safety does come first. Our gate is so easy for some passer by to open (and I know Bella would not run away, but she may chase cat, get run over etc etc).

It's awful being in such heat, I wake up at 6am to walk in the summer, as it's too hot to go out again until 7pm. The pavements are boiling so we have to find cooler areas to walk in - thankfully dog park has some trees so that works well.
    It's so hard keeping a dog amused in such heat as we are all inside in the ac. But I take Bella for coffee with me if we go, or to friend's houses, we do some indoor training, play. It's ok in the day, it's at night when I KNOW it's cooler outside that I feel guilty bringing her in. Soon she''ll be spending all day inside anyway as outside is too hot and we have ac on all day. She''ll spend the evening outside but when I have to go to bed she'll have to come inside. The basement isn't too bad, as it's underground so it is quite cool.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice