Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What should I do? Cat's Tail

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jordondmi, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Jordondmi

Jordondmi PetForums Newbie

We have noticed that our cat's Tail has a kink at the lower end of (at the base) of his tail. We don't know how he got it, and he still waves it a bit, but he is not as expressive as he used to be.

We can tell it is tender because he gets uncomfortable when you touch it and sometimes meows from the pain.

We don't know what to do, as we have been told by our neighbours that cats tails can heal.

Any advice.

Attached Files:

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to this forum!
    You’d better let a vet take a look and maybe have an x-ray. Cats are experts at not showing pain and when you can tell it is tender he probably is in a lot more pain than you think.

#2 ChaosCat, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome!
    Unless your neighbour is a vet then I would get a professional opinion to be honest. It might heal perfectly fine but if it’s tender I would want it looked at. Hope all is well soon.

Lurcherlad, Jordondmi, AmsMam and 2 others like this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Has this only just become obvious , not that it really matters as you need to have him seen by a vet,regardless of how it happened or when He is in pain so needs veterinary attention

5. Jordondmi

He
    Hello! Thank you so much for your reply. Obviously money isn't a question, but do you know roughly how much it would be?

ChaosCat likes this.
  6. Jordondmi

I understand he needs to be taken to the vet, but is there anything I can do to help him for now. Vets aren't available until tomorrow when his appointment is.

7. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Sorry, as I am not in the UK I have no idea about prices. Somebody else might know.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

It would have been better if you had mentioned that you had already booked a vet appointment , but there is very little you can do before then as you have no idea what has caused it .

9. Jordondmi

Sorry, I should have said. Is there anything to help him to stop licking and chewing his tail. We are watching him closely but is there anything I should put on it or cover with.

10. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

He might be licking and chewing because he's in pain or it's bothering him in some way. I can't think of anything you can do to stop him until he's seen at the vets. Good luck, and I hope he's okay. x

11. Jordondmi

Okay, thank you for the help anyway.

12. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

He hasn’t been in a fight with another cat has he?

13. Jordondmi

He didn't have any visible wounds. All I saw was a kink or bend or lump like bit at the base of his tail. He has now managed to chew it raw. What should I do? We are watching him and staying with him, but should I cover it?

14. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Have you got an emergency vet number you can call?

It sounds like it’s really bothering him.

Think of it as if you’d twisted or dislocated your ankle. Unless you see a vet you just don’t know how much pain he may be in.

AmsMam, chillminx and buffie like this.
  15. Jordondmi

Okay, thank you very much for all the help.

huckybuck likes this.
  16. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I would go to an emergency vet but if that isn’t an option can you make a cone for his neck to stop him chewing at it?

Jordondmi likes this.
  17. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I’m wondering if he been stung? Have you had a real good look under his fur if he will let you? He’s certainly very sore and uncomfortable.

Calvine and Jordondmi like this.
  18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Jordondmi - this injury to your cat's tail sounds as though it could be the same thing that happened to one of my cats earlier this year. He came in one day unable to raise his tail fully, could only raise it to a horizontal position. There was a lump on the underside of the tail near the base.

I took him straight to the vet as an emergency,. The vet thought is was a cat bite sustained in a fight, and prescribed a course of antibiotics. After a week there was no improvement so it was back to the vets again where I was advised it would be necessary to x-ray the tail. The x-ray showed there was damage to one of the vertebrae in his tail, and it was inflamed. The vet thought this may have happened from a fall from a tree or fence etc.

My cat was put on a course of anti-inflamatory painkillers for a week. This reduced the swelling and the pain and he was able to lift his tail vertical again. However he still did not like me touching the base of his tail. Back to the vet again who diagnosed my cat had now developed slight arthritis in the damaged vertebrae, and that this was irreversible (not unusual with this type of tail injury apparently).

So now I have anti-inflammatory pain relief to give him at home when I see he is having problems raising his tail fully. I also give him Yumove every day in his food. It contains omega 3 in the form of green lipped mussel extract which is a natural anti-inflammatory.

I don't know if your cat has injured his tail in the same way, but it's possible. The other possibility is a cat bite, and a cat bite on a tail is bad because there is so little flesh on the tail and the infection can reach the bone quickly. If that happens the outcome may not be good for the tail.

I think as he has chewed the injury raw you really should have taken him to the vet immediately you noticed it. He must be in a lot of pain or discomfort, bless him.

Calvine, Jordondmi, huckybuck and 2 others like this.
  19. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hoping for positive news on your cat today!

Jordondmi likes this.
  20. Jordondmi

Hi Guys! Thank you all for the help. Just an update. Simba had an abscess due to a bite. As he chewed it before putting a make shift cone, the puss had gone. The vet said the infection is mostly gone and cleaned it, and has given him an antibiotic shot and pain relief, and some tablets and pain relief to take home. She has suggested I bathe his wound in salt water.

He is now resting. My only concern is how to get him to leave it alone (he has a proper cone now but it is too short so he can reach his tail). If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice