Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What should I be asking a dog groomer?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ForestWomble, Feb 14, 2021.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Doing research right now for a dog groomer, was wondering what I should be looking for and what I should be asking? Thanks

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

For me, price and proximity to my home were the only considerations.

But maybe pick up and drop off procedure if that is a service offered.

Price and what is included (nail trim, murph gets ears plucked, shampoo etc)

I expect you might want to know how the groomer might handle an un co operative dog (not suggesting bungo will be but handy to know)

You might ask what breeds the groomer is experienced in and what cuts.

How many years experience

Insurance

What would happen if you werent happy with the cut.

Basically though, if you can get some personal recommendations or check out their facebook page, price and pick up service are main things.

HarlequinCat, Jobeth and ForestWomble like this.
  3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

tabelmabel likes this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It's personal choice over ears.. I don't like ears being touched at all. Some people say it helps. Both my vet and my groomer are both on the side of leave ears alone, and so was where my groomer trained.

What type of training is important too. Due to groomers stopping grooming due to having children, and changing premises Stan has had 3. 2 groomers both trained at the same place, one trained somewhere else. All groomers seemed to have about the same experience when they started grooming Stan. However, the two who went to the same place which had hands on experience that was more thought out than more, how shall I say a conveyer belt of dogs with less hours of hands on grooming and background learning have seemed a lot better. Even though I believe the qualification is the same. If that makes sense.

Qualifications are important because to be a groomer you don't actually need them per se.

A portfolio of dogs they have done previously is helpful to look at. This is why many do have Instagram and Facebook.

Obviously not knowing how to describe what type of groom you want for Bungo, someone who asks for photos is usually someone I would work with.

Torin., ForestWomble and tabelmabel like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is not a bad idea to see if they have a facebook page or some way of seeing before and after. also get recommendations, maybe ask dog owners whose clip you like who they use. I do my own but I was recommended someone in case I want to use one . They have a facebook page and put before and after photos on it and quite frankly I would hate to use them. They take ALL the hair off lovely shaggy dogs. Short ears, short legs , basically no shape. I wonder if there are too many groomers setting up that have been on a course to learn how to use clippers but have no idea how to actually produce a nice looking dog.

Torin., ForestWomble and tabelmabel like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Ah - i should have said ears is just a thing for murphs being a TT - he has all that fine cotton wool fluff that grows inside the ears and has to be plucked out or it will lead to infection. And i cant stand to do it so the groomer does it for me. The vet even plucks some out at his annual checks!

ForestWomble, Blitz and lullabydream like this.
  7. lullabydream

See I wonder that too, about the one trick ponies but then I also have worked with a groomer having to phone up and say to the owner we have to cut slightly shorter because 'fido' is covered in matts. Ideally some dogs would have been better taken to the vets, sedated an dematted there in my opinion.
    So what I like to look for now in Groomers book, simple Westie and Yorkie heads. Have seen terrible ones. Although I know some owners don't want a lovely round head, oh and occasionally skirts on dogs; again preference. Plus a bichon groom as they are popular dogs here, and surely as a bichon owner you must like a bichon groomer.
    Obviously different grooms would be nice but they are the common dogs seen that aren't even done well. Yes it could be down to the owners but there must be at least one who wants a groom groom

ForestWomble and Blitz like this.
  8. lullabydream

Do you know what, Stan kept getting infection after infection which we thought he must be another trigger in his food. His groomer was plucking and cleaning his ears. The vet said stop, even though he has really hairy ears and not had a peep since. Plus we have changed groomer who doesn't do ears because she was told not to when training anyway.

Watch him have an ear infection tomorrow!

ForestWomble and tabelmabel like this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Not sure what the rules are in the UK for groomers, but I would want to know how the dogs are restrained on the table, what their policy is for how long the dog stays on the table, how they dry after a bath, and as someone else has said, how they handle an uncooperative dog.

10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Oh that's interesting, @lullabydream - murph has never had an ear infection but his brother had one when the hair was left to clog the ear so i wonder which way works best. Murphs' ears are a bit blocked with hair now but i just cant bring myself to pull it out. I think the way is just to wind it round my finger and yank it out - that must hurt!

Sometime i put the clean aural stuff in and give the ears a wee massage. I wonder when groomers will open again. Soon, i hope!

ForestWomble likes this.
  11. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Definitely check out the reviews on Facebook. I’d expect them to ask you questions as well and have a waiting list. I’d also want to know how many dogs they do at the same time. They are so popular that they are recruiting at the moment so thought it might be interesting for you to see what they are looking for:

9BE73033-C9E2-4AFC-BB5B-4AE1920A94F8.jpeg

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

The most important thing for me would be does the groomer know how to hand strip a Schnauzer. No use to me if they don't.

My two have been trained from puppies to stand still for hours on a table whilst being groomed, so that's not a problem.

I'm lucky in that the boys are groomed by their breeder's wife. In winter when I let their coats grow, (before lockdown) I used to take them for a "shampoo and blow dry" and have their beards and paws trimmed to freshen them up.

ForestWomble, tabelmabel and Blitz like this.
  13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have always plucked the poodles' ears. I was taught it was essential right back from when I trained as a vet nurse. Also told that putting powder into ears was a huge no no. I automatically plucked hairy ears when a dog was under anaesthetic just to get it done. There is often a lot of debris under the hair if they have been neglected but the ears stay clean if they are done regularly.

Good point. I would rather, if my dogs went to a groomer, that they are just done. I do not like the groomers that say they give the dogs several breaks in the garden or whatever. It does not take that long to clip any dog so unless they are so matted they are in pain with it they should be done in one go. Mine are done slightly spread out because it kills my back but they are not given a break in a session, I do the body in one go and the feet and faces in one go. The dogs would be happier to have the whole lot done in one go rather than having to go through it twice.

14. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I agree about getting it done in one go. Both Gwylim and Grisha have been trained to stand for the whole time it takes to strip them, pluck their ears, trim their nails etc. Depending on how long their coat is it can be up to three hours that they're expected to stand still which must take a lot of self control on their part.

ForestWomble and Blitz like this.
  15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

This thread caused me to google plucking TT ears and im encouraged to give it a go as groomers could be closed a long time yet and Murph does have a little clump in each ear canaĺ. I might use tweezers. So i dont need the powder?

Do i just get a few strands and pull? His is really fine, like candy floss - all the google stuff specific to TT said it was completely painless, but essential.

ForestWomble likes this.
  16. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

I went with personal recommendations from a friend, I checked their Facebook page and had a chat on the phone. We shall see on 9th March how it goes. Ozzy is used to being brushed, he likes hair dryer too but I have no idea how will they manage to trim his face which desperately needs attention. I think his nails need doing too which I darent do myself which is strange because as a teenager I've had rabbits and cut theirs no problem ;)
    Regarding ears I bought some wipes that go on your finger and you just gently wipe the ear - is that not the right thing to do?

ForestWomble likes this.
  17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I usually do it between finger and thumb and take as few hairs as possible but do sometimes use forceps. It is lovely to see some nice clean ears again! I never have to clean the ears unless there is a lot of wax trapped under the hair. It does not take long and if there is a lot of hair and it is hurting them I just do a bit and leave it till the next day.

ForestWomble and tabelmabel like this.
  18. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I would want a mobile dog groomer so i could watch them.

ForestWomble likes this.
  19. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Will give it a go tonight @Blitz

I definitely wouldnt want to watch murph being groomed. Im more than happy to drop him off, forget all about it and pick him up smelling and looking gorgeous. The groomer he has is amazing at saving his coat when im sure other groomers would have taken it off. She is always very kind and says it wasnt "too bad" but im sure that is her just being kind as sometimes he is up there 3 or 4 hours!!

And she charges ridiculously low like 15 quid. I have paid her 3 times what she has asked before. Id never pay anyone 15 quid for 3 hours time doing nothing, let alone the miracle she performs on murph. I always give 30 minimum and up to 50 if i think he has been matted. And, yes, i am aware that is still very cheap.

It is about trusting your groomer too isnt it; you shouldnt really need to stand and watch if you trust a groomer to do a good job.

Blitz and ForestWomble like this.
  20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would want to know more though. Standing for 3 hours is a big ask of any dog and it bears asking how the dog is being asked to stand for 3 hours. Are they strung up tight on the table with the collar digging in to their neck the whole time, or are they looser and allowed to move around some or even sit from time to time? If the dog is showing discomfort, panting too much, or clearly getting tired are they given a break?
    And I would think the routine would change as the dog gets older and having to stand for that long would be too much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice