UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If times are so hard why has it sounded like the bleeding blitz for the last 3 hours, same last night and probably again tomorrow? Fireworks are still expensive aren't they

When I was a child we had a sparkler each, a few roman candles that mostly were as showy as a wet f*rt and a catherine wheel if you were lucky - which never spun because everyones dad knocked the nail in too tight. One better off family in the whole street could afford two rockets, the whole "show" lasted 15 minutes max. The main event was a bonfire built by all the local kids with wood they collected for free - it took us weeks - and we baked a few potatoes in the embers.

No one could afford hours & hours worth of fireworks - yet now its endless for weeks at a time:glare: Who has all this money to literally burn?

Think I am turning into Mrs Angry

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
If times are so hard why has it sounded like the bleeding blitz for the last 3 hours, same last night and probably again tomorrow? Fireworks are still expensive aren't they

When I was a child we had a sparkler each, a few roman candles that mostly were as showy as a wet f*rt and a catherine wheel if you were lucky - which never spun because everyones dad knocked the nail in too tight. One better off family in the whole street could afford two rockets, the whole "show" lasted 15 minutes max. The main event was a bonfire built by all the local kids with wood they collected for free - it took us weeks - and we baked a few potatoes in the embers.

No one could afford hours & hours worth of fireworks - yet now its endless for weeks at a time:glare: Who has all this money to literally burn?

Think I am turning into Mrs Angry
The same folk who will be spending like crazy for Xmas :D

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I wondered this the other day and after a while it does get extremely tedious!
I do feel sorry for owners of animals who are petrified of fireworks and to have to put up with this day after day, getting stressed themselves! :(

It would be, in an ideal world, nice to have just certain days to have this and to let them off any other time would incur a fine for breach of disturbing the peace. This is my opinion.

:)

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
When Dad brought them in the house my brother and I would line 'em all up on the table...it was like Christmas sorting all the goodies out.Like has been said it was all over in 15 minutes,but we kept the garden bonfire going longer...
It all seemed pretty harmless then...but they didn't go off like a ruddy howitzer like the damned things do today.

And yes,all Dads nailed the Catherine wheels in too tight so they just spluttered.

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Some would probably call me a boring old fart but I think fireworks should not be allowed on general sale and only professional displays should be put on.

Fireworks are no longer the pop & splutter variety of my youth but have become very loud and very dangerous, even more so when in the wrong hands. Always got to be bigger and better eh....? :rolleyes:

At the risk of advocating a 'Nanny State' I would have a law where only professional displays were allowed and they would have to be only on the weekend nearest to the 5th Nov. The only allowance would be when the 5th fell on a Wednesday then they could chose either weekend.

Too many folks, unfortunately, have shown they cannot be trusted to be responsible around fireworks, or consider their neighbours and neighbourhood when they let them off at all times of the day and night for many weeks, not just on the 5th.

Just my opinion of course.......

·
Banned
5,524 Posts
i wish they would all just sod off

had to go to the shop today and the air stunk, im expecting a brutal sinus infection now :rolleyes: :mad:

theres no need for bon fire night, its a pointless waste of time and money and i hope those claiming poverty havnt bought fire works, if you can afford them you arent poor :rolleyes:

·
:)
7,035 Posts
We will be having some fireworks but I have some rules regarding fireworks that IMO if most people stuck to with the exception of professional displays bonfire night wouldnt be as hated as it is.

I buy garden display fireworks. No rockets.

We let them off between 7 and 8.30pm

We let them off on the 5th of november after all that is bonfire night. Not a day before or day after.

I visit the neighbour and tell them the time they will be done by.

If everyone was considerate it wouldnt be a problem but we will no doubt her them going off till way after next weekend at all hours

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
I must admit I just smiled to myself remembering on Millenium night when a nearby old neighbour complained to the pub next door because of the fireworks and noise at 1am :001_smile:
As the landlord patiently told him..."I promise on the next millenium we'll try and keep the noise down for you" :D

I have fond memories of my Mother climbing out of her sick bed to watch the fireworks that went on all night...It's nice that she was alive to see that night.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your description of fireworks when you were a child was pretty much like mine, ah happy days :)
Lol and I bet we appreciated them more! And no matter what the weather it happened on the 5th and that was it, no sooner or later, no different whatever day of the week the 5th was the only day

We will be having some fireworks but I have some rules regarding fireworks that IMO if most people stuck to with the exception of professional displays bonfire night wouldnt be as hated as it is.

I buy garden display fireworks. No rockets.

We let them off between 7 and 8.30pm

We let them off on the 5th of november after all that is bonfire night. Not a day before or day after.

I visit the neighbour and tell them the time they will be done by.

If everyone was considerate it wouldnt be a problem but we will no doubt her them going off till way after next weekend at all hours
Exactly this if everyone was the same it wouldn't be an issue - don't want to be a party pooper as I said on one of the other firework threads don't want to spoil any ones fun but if it was like this would be fine - the huge repeating rockets & the screaming bomb like things they are hideous

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
The same folk who will be spending like crazy for Xmas :D
yep, namely the folk who are earning mire for sitting on their arses doing jack all day and being better off than folk who work for it!
we couldnt afford fireworks tbh it would pee me off watching my money burn!

·
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
3,723 Posts
i saw on russel howards show that we are out of the double dip rescesion. the economy has gone up by 1%. apparently it was due to sales of sex toys because of 50 shades of grey. :blink:
that might be why they can afford them.

i hate fireworks, they are an expensive, annoying thing that has no use. if only it wasnt against the law to grab one of those damn fireworks and shove it up the jacksy of the stupid **** setting them off.

·
Premium Member
33,926 Posts
They are driving me mad Saturday night sounded like WW III had broken out, tonight was almost as bad, I dread Monday night.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well we have Lewes Bonfire today a number seemed to being called of today but Lewes still on, probably take a tornado to call that off, Long night ahead i volunter at the local football club and im running there bar tonight for them, i cant get home will be over 6000 visitors to Lewes today i wont make the last train so am sleeping in the bar.

Hope people are safe my partner treated 6 people last year for eye injuries and 3 of them ended up blind, thankfully the things that called them are banned this year.

I have never seen this and apparently its pretty epic thing to see.

Lewes Bonfire 2011. - YouTube

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
I hardly heard any where I am, one of the bonuses of living in the sticks.

One year, when we had no money to waste on unecessary items like sparklers, my Dad had a brilliant idea of making us some sparklers. He had a huge old tin of industrial glue left over from his army days, so he put some of that on some sticks, and gave them to me and my brother to hold. Of course we started waving them around like sparklers, as you would, unfortunately, a huge blob of glue flew off and landed on my Dad's forehead, still lit. Apparently it hurt. I still have this image of my Dad jumping up and down with a lit blob of glue stuck in the middle of his forehead, he's not gifted with common sense I'm afraid. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.