Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What raw food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by cherrie_b, Jul 9, 2009.

1. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I would like to start feeding Lola on raw foods. What meats can she have? And what parts of what animals can she have?

Thankies!!

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

You need to PM Coraline and Kiskasiberians - they will give you all the advice you could ever need.

3. Toby & Darwin

Toby & Darwin PetForums Senior

spid likes this.
  4. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Is it right that cats can have scrambled egg? Sorry to hijack but have heard this and TBH it gives my cats the chronic runs- should it be made in a certain way? I heard it was an excellent light meal for cats.

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

what milk did you use to make the scrambled egg.....

6. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

erm....normal milk??? That is it isnt it? Can you make scrambled eggs with whiskas milk?

7. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

yeah you can that may have been the reason :) good luck for next time.

8. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Oh wicked :) And is scrambled egg ok for them? Or occasional treat only?

9. sarahberra

sarahberra PetForums Member

Good idea! I bet there are many great raw food pet recipes on line. Some peole say that they feed their animals raw eggs, but I don't know if thats a good idea because I haven't reasearched it for myself.

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Make the scrambled egg up with water or a proper cat replacement milk (whiskas kitten milk is far too expensive in my opinion and not as good as say cimicat) or with goats milk. A lot of cats can't handle cows milk. Once a week maybe?

11. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Where do you get cimicat? Never heard of it and we get through a lot of Whiskas as mine are both babies and like a bit of milk:eek:

12. Coraline

Coraline PetForums Member

How great that you want to start feeding raw! Congratulations! :)

There's a very simple answer to your questions: She can have any meats she'll eat, from any part of the animal.

The transition to raw can take a while, or it can be instant - it depends on the cat. Your best bet is to cut a piece of whatever meat you're having for dinner and see if she'll eat it.

Give it a go and come back and tell us what happened - if she liked it you're in for an easy ride, if she didn't understand that that piece of meat was food it'll be slightly more tricky.

Also, these pages are great for more information
    Cat Nutrition.Org
    Raw Fed Cats

13. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Thankyou Coraline. I will be having lamb chop tomorrow so I will see what she thinks. Also, I read somewhere that the most nutritious meats are generally the cheapest offcuts. Is this true?

14. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Are bones fine for cats then? Not chicken bones surely?

15. spid

spid PetForums VIP

As long as they are raw chicken bones are fine - they are only a problem when cooked as they splinter.

16. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

That explains it. Lola is one year old. If I were to feed her, for example, raw chicken drumsticks, how many would she need? I usually feed her twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. But recently she seems to want more and more food.

If I were to go to the butchers now, what would be the most nutritious for her?

17. Coraline

Good luck with the lamb! Cheaper offcuts tend to have more fat on them, which is good for cats. Just make sure it's still human food quality.

You want to feed meats that are high in taurine, and this tends to be dark meat and heart. So, chicken legs, turkey legs, heart of all kinds are fantastic. But, a variety is the key here. You want to feed as many different types of meat as you can. As spid says, chicken bones are fine. I tend to use quail, rabbit, chicken, for the bones - anything else is too big and he can't crunch them.

Once she starts eating raw full time, you want to make sure she gets the right balance of nutrients. Just meat is not enough - she also needs organ meat (liver, kidneys, lungs etc) and bones.

You want the ratio to be 80% meat, 10% organ meat, and 10% bones. Roughly.

I feed my cat four times a day. First at five am, when I let him out. Then at 8/9 am, before I leave for work. Then at six pm, and then again before bed. Two times per day should be enough though, although you may want to increase that if she starts getting thinner.

There isn't really a set amount you need to feed - you can start by calculating 2% of her body weight, and then feed that amount, see how it goes. If she gets fat, cut back, if she gets thin, feed more. I also find that my cat eats a lot in periods, then eats less for a while.

Let us know how the lamb went down :)

18. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Thankyou again Coraline! :D Lola had some raw chicken breast this afternoon...she wolfed it down. She isn't very fussy so I am pretty sure that she will love a raw diet.

Iceland do big bags of frozen chicken drumsticks etc for £3 so I will buy a bag of those and I know that the butchers in the market sell organs etc really cheaply. It makes sense to feed our animals on raw meats I suppose...at least if I fancy so chicken or lambs heart for tea I can pinch Lola's food rather than her pinching mine :eek: :001_tt2: :001_tt2:

I will let you know how she gets on. :D x

19. Coraline

That's great news! :D

With the drumsticks, you'll probably need to cut them into smaller pieces - at least at first. And, since she's not used to eating bones, you'll probably need to start with a smaller bone, so some chicken wings would be better for that.

20. Mjos

Mjos PetForums Newbie

Hi! I am also thinking about changing Misu's diet to a raw one! We think she is around 2, just had her for a few months ans so far she welcomes anything you put on her plate.
    First of all just say thanks for that info, is a great help!! Just got a few more questions... This might sound silly but I'm not sure what to do! I'm not treating my cat with dewormer tablets as she usually indoors and therefore doesn't hunt but I'm not sure whether I should treat her before starting a raw diet??? :confused:
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice