Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What random fears does your cat have? =P

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Forbidden-Feline, May 10, 2010.

1. Forbidden-Feline

Forbidden-Feline PetForums Newbie

Hey! Just wanted to start a fun thread about random fears that cats may have. What makes them hide or act strangely? I'll go first ^__^

Tia has a fear of hats. Everytime a friend of mine came round, she was fine for a moment then once she noticed the hat, her eyes would go like saucers, her fur will stand on end (Her tail was like a christmas tree XD) and she'd stare at whoever was wearing the hat for ages before crawling along the floor to a hiding place. It actually took us a while to figure out what spooked her, but my suspicions were answered when I wore a hat and she had the same reaction. She also does the same when I have a towel on my head after getting out the bath =P

Feel free to post any fun stories of random cat behaviour. I'd love to see what other strange phobias cat's have ^__^

2. Arlani

Arlani PetForums Junior

My cat's afraid of sunglasses!! usually she isn't scared of anything, but I had my sunglasses lying on the table and she started walking around it really slowly, then came a little closer.. Then something really startled her, I think she was afraid that it would move but she acted like it slapped her in the face :D

#2 Arlani, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. Tje

Tje Banned

my cat who died last year was petrified of step ladders.. ... he hated them, even the small two step ones!! And if we had the big ladders out to paint a wall or ceiling, the poor man would run and hide till we were finished.

The new cat that came to replace him, she loves my step ladders.. go figure.

My other lady, well she is petrified of my toaster, but in all fairness, it's probably just that toaster that she's scared off as it spits the toast out at 100km an hour, aiming for the ceiling.

4. Pajamas

Pajamas PetForums Newbie

Pretty much the only thing Pajamas is afraid of is plastic bags.. he goes nuts and runs away whenever he hears me open one up! He's obviously an environmentally friendly kitty ;)

5. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

All 3 of my cat's are afraid of the hoover, but it's easy to see why when you have 3x better hearing! They scatter all around the house :p

Come bounding back downstairs from under the bed afterwards when it's turned off, bless:) x

6. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

Dorrie doesn't like the hoover, tumble dryer or balloons. She doesn't quite know what to make of them.

7. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Strangely, ours don't mind the tumble dryer, they like to sit on top of it and fall asleep! Must be the vibration and warmth they like :p

8. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

Well this is what I thought but she won't sit on top of it or anything when it is on. Her bed is right next to it and she does sleep on it from time to time, but only if it is not on!:rolleyes:

9. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

my Squeaks afraid of nothing, she even growls and runs to the window when the door goes :lol:

10. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

She thinks shes a malamute :laugh: x

11. Pajamas

Pajamas PetForums Newbie

Oh yeah, forgot the vacuum cleaner.. Pajamas hates that! Also remembered he hates aliminium foil, and he freaks out when I sneeze, makes a sound of objection and runs away, it's quite amusing :D

#11 Pajamas, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  12. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Squeaky dog toys....Tilly hears them and you don't see him for dust lol

13. Isi

Isi PetForums Member

Our cats are both fine with the vacuum cleaner - unless I get to within centimeters of them!

Jimmy has a fear of deodorant being sprayed and will bolt from the bathroom when my o/h puts it on in the morning!

They both also hate tin foil but I think that's pretty standard....

I can't really think of anything else they're scared of... I suppose they're typical BSH in that way; too laid back to be bothered to be scared!

14. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

Really? Does everyone elses cat experience this? My 3 go mad as soon as they hear me scrunching it up and follow me around the house until i throw it for them to go and fetch :D

15. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

My Tilly is afraid of the Vacuum, like really scared!! She runs as far away as possible which is uausally the shoe pile in the hall and srunches up in a tiny ball until the noise has gone away!

If she didn't make so much mess i wouldn't need to hoover as often :thumbup:

Other than that she seems pretty fearless!

16. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

The window cleaner. They all detest the window cleaner. :)

17. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

My cats afraid of pretty much everything...i think the term scardy cat was invented fo him!! Lol!

18. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Scamp hates the hoover but will tolerate it as long as you are quick hoovering in the room he is in,also bags although strangely he will sit on one but hates the noise they make and then there's the tin foil, that spooks him big time, but again it's the noise. The dustcart also spooks him but there's nothing unusual that I can think of all his fears are pretty standard for a cat :D

19. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

my two are not scared of anythin exept the hoover which is understandable as its so loud. dillon used to be scared of everything when we first got him so he is much better now :) they both love sitting on carrier bags tho which is well strange :confused1:

20. Forbidden-Feline

Forbidden-Feline PetForums Newbie

Lol. Great to hear these stories. Thanks for posting them ^^
    Tia is also scared of the hoover. She hides in my bedroom behind the snake vivariums whenever I hoover. She also has a dislike for airfreshners and for some strange reason, my brother. She freaks out before he even gets in to the flat =/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice