Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What radio station does your dog like?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Feb 23, 2021.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Where would you find that subject line other than PF? :Hilarious

Just wondering, for those of you who leave a radio on for your dogs, what station do you use? Do they seem to have a preference for talk/classical/pop/something else?

Obviously as I'm not in the UK it would be useful if you described the station rather than name it! :D

I'm going to start leaving a radio on for the dogs during the day, in case you're wondering about the randomness of the question!

2. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Junior

Hahahahahaha that’s so funny and sweet you’re thinking of that! I’m no help, I leave Spotify on (have a calm dog Playlist) or Netflix (movie the little prince) :D

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I leave Netflix on in the evenings - my dogs watch Gilmore Girls :D

Sarah H, ECT, Boxer123 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

When I had a problem with Georgina waking up at every little noise during the night, I left Sky News on with the sound turned down low. They repeat the news every 15 minutes which makes it really monotonous to listen to hour after hour!

Sarah H, DanWalkersmum and McKenzie like this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Gilmore Girls is brilliant I don’t blame them very calming. I have a download calming music for dogs it works really well when loki has stress.

McKenzie likes this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Radio 2 always for mine. It is on all day anyway, in the car and house so that is the familiar one.

Depending on time of day, it is a mix of mainly new pop music with a few oldies thrown in, banter and chit chat, topical debate and phone ins. News on the hour. All with distinctive jingles to indicate time of day.

It's a bbc one, bbc radio 2 available world wide. Great for dogs!

McKenzie likes this.
  7. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Smooth Radio East Midlands, I like music not chat radio

McKenzie likes this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Radio 4, talk radio. If I'm in, it's on anyway.
    @McKenzie, if you put the radio on when you leave and the radio isn't normally on, the radio going on could be a signal to the dogs to start getting anxious. You should get them used to it being on when you're home, first.

Arny, Kimmikins, tabelmabel and 3 others like this.
  9. Dimwit

Dimwit PetForums VIP

None, the dimwit is scared of the radio (or any form of music/noise where he can't see where it's coming from).
    I had a CD of calming music for dogs that I thought might help him but as soon as I put it on he ran and hid upstairs :rolleyes:

Magyarmum likes this.
  10. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

My two have their own Spotify account :Shy I link it to our Sonos and it goes on most of the day unless we’re not planning on going out

11. GB70

GB70 PetForums Member

Paw Patrol and PJ Masks.

Im well and truly sick of both theme tunes

12. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Haha not a silly question! I read somewhere that classical music calms dogs (and helps cows during milking :Hilarious ) so if they are being left for any length of time I pop on Classic FM or radio 3. I have left on a local pop station before but TBH I don't think mine really care!

13. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

The radio didn't help Tilly, in fact I think it made things worse with her night time waking so we stopped using it. I did try to find classical music but couldn't, maybe because of the time of day, so we tried other music but nope.
    The tv is on most of the day anyway so we just leave that on if we go out.

14. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Annoyingly I can't get a radio station where I am so I put on an audiobook, discovered Bungo really likes a cassette tape that I still have from childhood of a dramatization of a Famous Five story ....... I put it in the cassette player and Bungo has learned which button to press to turn it on, gives me a fright I can tell you when its quiet, I'm busy concentrating on something and suddenly this voice starts, he's also discovered the volume control, never turns it down, always up, so I have to stop what I'm doing to turn it down again. :Hilarious

(No help I know but wanted to share)

15. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

How do you even know if a dog prefers one station to another?

I've never left the radio or TV on, never occurred to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice