Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What pup to buy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by suewhite, Mar 24, 2011.

1. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

My father in law has just retired and said he at last can have a dog so we have decided to buy him one,he is 68 so what sort of dog would you get as when the dog is 10 he will be 78 he sees my Border collies and thinks he would like one but I"m sure he doesn't understand what alot of work they are,the choice would be his but need to make a list up,I was thinking more along the lines of a bitch staffie any ideas:001_smile:

2. rona

rona Guest

Might be a bit powerful for someone who is getting older. Dogs can be as good as gold but things happen, one of my older clients has just been pulled over and broken her wrist, and her dog is the most obedient you could wish for.
    What kind of small dog do you think would interest him?
    Terriers usually appeal to men

3. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

An ex racer greyhound.

They curl up into a small ball, so dont take up much room on the sofa. Most ex racer are trained to walk nicely on lead. They sleep all day but will walk all day also.

You can get them from about 10months upwards, so they are not all old dogs either.

4. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

He sees himself walking the fields with his Border collie by his side but I dont want him to have one,I dont know much about terriers as never had much to do with them will look up what terriers there are thanks rona:001_smile:

5. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

A rescue plodder, great for older folks, still like a walk but just happy to have a nice warm bed and food :) no pup mess and training involved and the age doesn't really come into it :)

6. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Dont know why but I always thought you could"nt let them off the lead?which I know he would do:001_smile:

7. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Why not have a look at a rescue?

He could get a slightly older dog say of around 5??

Bet there are lots that would suit him and would love to have a nice home and lots of walks in fields.

Your in Hertfordshire why don't you have a look at Woodgreen Animal shelter in Godmanchester near Huntingdon. That's hopefully not too far to travel?

I sometimes go there and it's a smashing place and the dogs are so well looked after.

8. rona

rona Guest

What do you think he would think of a miniature Schnauzer?
    Lovely easy dogs, not too big but they do need a hair cut every so often

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Border terriers are nice little middle of the road dogs too.

10. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Some people think that. But i have one and his recall is perfect. Its the same with every rescue, you will need to gain a bond and practise recall for a few times before having them completley off lead.

I know someone who have an ex-racer for 4 years and have never had him off lead, personally i think that is cruel as they love nothing better then a good run around in circles.

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Westies are popular with older people (as well as younger people!) as once they are past the puppy stage they are pretty easy-going. They sleep a lot but are happy to get going when their owner is. McKenzie is still more or less a puppy but she is happy with 20 minutes of exercise or an hour, and if I'm not interacting with her she is happy to amuse herself or sleep.

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

A border terrier sounds great for him a nice hardy smaller dog.
    Would he consider an older dog?
    How about visiting your local rescue and seeing which dog chooses him:)

I think it depends on his level of fitness etc - my dads 68 and goes to the gym every day and cycles a lot, he is currently planning a 100 mile cycle ride.

13. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Going back to what I said about Woodgreen animal shelter.

Take a look at Beata (106648) she is 5 yrs 6 month old xbreed (looks like a collie x or GSD in there.)

She looks like a nice companion dog........

14. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Would an older rescue collie not suit him? Then he doesn't have the hyper puppy stage and hopefully a calmer dog!

15. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone given me some good advise,I"m going to take him over to the Chiltern Dog Rescue tomorrow as I've seen a couple of dogs in there that might like to adopt him:D

16. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Best of luck :)

17. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Oh good luck for your search hun, Hope he finds the perfect companion :)

18. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Why can't he have a Border Collie? It doesn't have to be strong working sheepdog lines. Providing you picked carefully, and you know the breed in any case, it would be OK.

I said on another thread yesterday, I have handlers here in their 70's and 80's with Border Collies and they are still competing with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice