Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What on "earth" is with this digging??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Finnboy, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Finnboy

Finnboy PetForums Member

.....can anyone explain why Finn has suddenly started obsessively digging holes in our turf?

He always has had a liking for the stones and gravel and has even got his own dedicated gravelly pit in the garden where we allow him to go and direct him from non-allowed areas!

He's such a monkey.....what's he after or is it just doggy instinct? :D

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

It's FUN!

It's also very much a puppy thing. Honestly? Forget the garden, enjoy the dog. When your Finn is old and grey, you'll miss the puppy sillies.

3. Finnboy

Finnboy PetForums Member

I have definitely surrendered the garden to him already.....every blinking pot plant and shrub has been "Finn'd"..... it was never a prize winning garden but it's most definitely his now!! :)

4. Hopeattheendofthetunnel

Hopeattheendofthetunnel PetForums VIP

Finnboy, as mentioned, I am exceptionally rubbish at restricting dogs from digging. Because my garden's primary function is to be their playground.

BUT....none of my friends share this view. They enjoy their beautiful garden and whilst they love their dogs, digging EVERYWHERE - or even digging at all - is a firm no-no. You don't HAVE to accept that your garden turns into a large molehill just because you love your dog.

Plus, with digging, especially if he already has a designated digging pit, it REALLY pays to think ahead. Think carefully whether you, your husband and kids will NEVER have an issue with Finn digging wherever he pleases. IMO, it isn't fair, and really bewildering for your chap, to then change the rules as he grows up if you then do get fed up with it.

Why not have a family conference and see what everyvody thinks about it? If you collectively conclude that you shouldn't allow free digging reign, best to start setting limitations immediately. Some dogs remain passionate excavators all their lives, they don't just grow out of it.

Just treat it like any unwanted behaviour. Telling him "No!" where you don't want him to dig and letting him enjoy it where you don't mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice