UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping this will be a funny thread! :D

1) Are there things you were told (perhaps as a child) which you believed into adulthood. Things like 'Picking dandelions make you wet the bed'. Or maybe someone told you a whoppa which you believed for years.
and
2) Have you ever embarassed yourself with suchlike.

Here is one of mine! My sister once told me as a joke that you could milk billy goats. Years later I worked on the Deli counter at Tesco and we were all invited to the farm where 'Yorkshire Blue' and other cheeses were made. First of all the family had 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks. All my colleagues were trying to guess what kind of dogs they were and I said 'Oh they are Rhodesian Ridgebacks.' Even the owners were impressed with my knowledge as at the time they were quite unusual dogs. :D
The lady then went on to tell us all about making cheese from goats and sheeps milk and asked if we had any questions.
Yes :eek: I asked if they ever used billy goats milk or was it too sour? She was very kind and explained as if I was a simpleton that billy goats couldnt be milked. My colleagues were all helpless with laughter! I'd like to say I was very young and naive but I was about 39 and doing a degree at Uni at the time! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I remember the dandelions and wetting the bed one well.

Another word of wisdom was if you pick your nose your eyes will drop out:D

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
The only really nonsense thing I believed and fell for every time was when I was little and my Dad would stand next to an electric fence (grew up on a farm) and tell me that if I stuck my tongue out put my finger in my ear and stand on one leg and grabbed the fence I wouldn't get a shock, he would do it an not react so i would do it and grab the fence and get a shock and he would tell me i wasn't doing it right so I would keep trying and I would always get a shock.

Oh and my Grandma told me that if trod on the lines on a pavement a big bear would appear and chase me :blink:

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I use to get really bad travel sickness... I believed for years sitting on newspaper stopped me puking, I think I was about 7 when I realised it was just easier to clean the car...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
My grand used to say if you stared in to mirror long enough you'd see the devil staring back, that scared the heck out of me as a kid
Eating all your crusts would make your hair curly, I could never understand why my sister had curly hair and I didn't , I even used to open the bread at both ends to get the big crusts much to everyone's annoyance :D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
my mind has drawn a blank for the ones i was fooled by... but i have a few of other peoples to share if that counts!? :eek: :D
one little lady (i'm referring to her until she turned 19 btw!) would aregue till she was blue in the face over Anything my sister and i would have told her... we discovered that if you said something stupid in a confident and adamant voice she would take it as gospel! my fav being her arguing with the english teacher that gullible was no longer in the dictionary!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about if you sneeze, fart and cough at the same time, you'll die. I am living proof that that's a myth!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
My Nan used to go mad if you put shoes on the table (new ones when you buy them and they are still in the bag apparently are the worse) as its unlucky. My mum still wont do it now.

So is opening an umbrella indoors too another of her pet hates as thats unlucky too.

And woe betide if you broke a mirror thats 7 years bad luck.

She wouldnt walk under ladders either because..............Youve guessed it thats bad luck aswell.:D

These are more superstitions and slightly off topic maybe, but I wouldnt do any of them for years and years growing up just in case.:eek:

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
How about if you sneeze, fart and cough at the same time, you'll die. I am living proof that that's a myth!
Thats probably on a par with patting your head and rubbing your stomach.
Or comes under special physical abilities heading:D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that even possible :D
Sadly the first two are often unavoidable! You have to have a proper cold to tie the third one in. I once sneezed and farted in class (as a teacher) only one child heard it and I stared her down :glare: so she couldn't tell her friends! :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Nan used to go mad if you put shoes on the table (new ones when you buy them and they are still in the bag apparently are the worse) as its unlucky. My mum still wont do it now.

So is opening an umbrella indoors too another of her pet hates as thats unlucky too.

And woe betide if you broke a mirror thats 7 years bad luck.

She wouldnt walk under ladders either because..............Youve guessed it thats bad luck aswell.:D

These are more superstitions and slightly off topic maybe, but I wouldnt do any of them for years and years growing up just in case.:eek:
Oh Cheeses I still subscribe to all of those! ;)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
My Nan too, and I can't/won't put shoes especially new shoes on table, my Nan had many many superstitions though, the worst one being not allowed to wear green in the house and after she decided my turquoise dress was in fact green I wasn't allowed in the house so I had to stay in the garden and eat my tea whilst sitting on a camping stool with a tray :D

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
When I was a toddler, my parents were walking home from a friends house with me in my pram. My dad passed me an invisible piece of string and told me that I needed to keep hold of it or else the moon would float away. They said I spent the whole walk home holding one arm in the air, gripping onto 'the moon' for dear life :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
When I had my first child I paid a fortune for a Silver Cross pram from a small baby boutique.Delivery was planned for the week after I gave birth. They were going out of business so asked me if I would take delivery of the pram early, I was 30 weeks. I was in such a state because I believed it was bad luck to have the pram before the baby... My Mothers friend had told me when I was little.

G

·
this is going to sound really bloody awful and its in no way intended to be racist or whatever.
i once asked my dad why some of the young males at my school had their hair tied up in hankies , he explained that it were their sandwiches for lunch and i actually believed that:eek: :rolleyes: you can always trust your parents to drop you in it can't you:rolleyes: will try think of some more , this was a man who always said policemen had pointy heads for christs sake:D:eek:

·
Registered
14,799 Posts
When I was a kiddie I was told that If the wind changed when I was pulling a face or sulking, it would stay like that for ever.

The man in the ice cream van always promised us kids free ice creams tomorrow. It took ages before we cottoned on to the fact that tomorrow never comes :D

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
My mum told me she was a witch when I was younger, she even had the broomstick so I believed it :D

I still don't put new shoes on tables :eek:

My gran used to tell us that eating our crusts would give us curly hair, but we didn't want curly hair :D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this was a man who always said policemen had pointy heads for christs sake:D:eek:
That reminds me of a joke... A couple went to the doctors. He was bald and she was flat chested. The Dr. gave them both some cream. A month later they came back- they had got the cream mixed up. The woman had a hairy chest the man had a boob growing from the top of his head. The Dr. said to the wife: Don't worry take these pills ---the hair will be gone in 3 days.
The man said: What about me?
The Dr. looked pensively at him and said: Hmm, maybe you can paint it blue and join the Police force...?

1 - 20 of 184 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.