Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What meats can a dog have?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by WelshOneEmma, Apr 23, 2011.

1. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

We cook Pipers food for her (refuses raw meat but likes it cooked). I have just made a load of lamb and beef dinners and about to make some chicken ones. Just looking for inspiration for some more. I read somewhere dogs can't have cooked pork - is that true?

I did cook her some fish dinners (salmon, cod, tuna and king prawns) - but she's not that keen on them! Next doors cat had them instead!

Any suggestions?

2. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Seems a lot of work - is there a reason you don't feed dry food?

3. WelshOneEmma

a) she doesn't like it

b) its cheaper

c) i know exactly what goes in to her food and the quality of the meat and vegetables she eats

d) I am happy to spend 3 hours every 2 months cooking 2 months worth of meals for my dog.

4. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Do you add anything to make sure she gets all the vitamins and minerals she needs?

I personally think it's a great way to feed your dog as long as you are making sure she is having all she needs, bone minerals, offal, liver etc. As you said, it's good to know EXACTLY what is going into your dog.

I'm not sure about pork tbh, I don't feed anything with beef. I have read a few times that beef is hard for them to digest so have always steered clear. I have fed raw pork but have no idea about cooked, as I've never cooked the meat for them. But then mine will eat anything lol.

I'm sure someone will be along with more knowledge to help out.

Few interesting articles on home cooked meals here

http://www.2ndchance.info/homemadediets.htm

http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/0131.html

http://petside.co.uk/health/diet-nutrition/healthy-dog-treats.php

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjhomemade4.html

#4 Lyceum, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. WelshOneEmma

At the moment, i cook the meat separatley, then blitz it so it goes a bit furthur. I either get stewing beef, free range chicken breasts or a leg of lamb. I also boil brown rice with low salt beef/chicken stock and also drop in chopped carrots, peas, chopped green beans and chopped baby sweetcorn towards the end so they cook. Then mix this with the shredded meat, leave to cool and portion. When i did the fish, i would boil it in watered down milk and only use de-boned cod fillet, salmon fillet and tuna. She liked the first lot i did but not the second (i did add a different fish in the second time and king prawns).

She has raw bones from the farm shop. Also has the occasional raw egg and shell, and sometimes has raw carrots to chew on.

Thanks for the links, will check them out!

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Mine have beef, lamb, chicken, pork, turkey, rabbit, tripe, game, venison, all sorts of fish, duck - they have it all raw, but obviously it can all be cooked too. Have you tried slowly introducing the raw food by lightly frying it to give off a cooked smell? Just for a couple of seconds.

I presume you also feed offal and bone, to ensure the diet is balanced? Cooked meat alone is not an adequate complete diet - one of the commercial complete wet foods suchas Naturediet or Natures Menu may suit you better.

7. WelshOneEmma

When she came to us she was on nature Diet and she didnt like it. Raw food she just refused and would go days rather than eat it. We really tried with the raw but she hated it (we wanted to feed raw).

She does have raw bones but when we used the offal beef mince she hated it and we had to mix some grated cheese in there to get her to eat it. i need to go get some bones from the farm shop so will try again with the offal.

I know she likes venison, but that is a treat! I wasn't sure about pork though? By far her favourite is lamb!

If she weren't getting enough nutrients what would be the signs? Worried now!

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I'm pretty sure you'll have to start adding some kind of bone mineral to her diet. And make sure the food you're feeing is in the right percentages, liver, offal etc. I think what you're doing is great, so please don't think I'm being condescending or trying to dissuade you from feeding a home cooked diet. It's just that it's not as simple as cooking stuff up and feeding her.

She'll need the correct percentage of food and minerals.

9. WelshOneEmma

so without wanting to sound stupid, but what's the difference between bone mineral and raw bones? do raw bones not have bone mineral in them?

i do have some frozen tripe in the freezer, but she hates it. she wont even have tripe sticks these days. same with the beef mince from the butcher (which is made up of offal) she hates it and we have to mix it with cheese to get her to eat it (but she does eat it!).

10. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

They are the same, I assume, should she eat the entire bone. But it needs to make up a % (I think it's about 10%) of her meals, not just the odd raw bone from the market. You can get bone mineral supplements though to add to her food. You might consider buying the frozen complete raw meat blocks and cooking them?

Cheese isn't great either. Dogs aren't meant to have dairy.

11. WelshOneEmma

She does eat all the bone and she gets them regularly. I know cheese isn't great which is why she doesnt get a lot of it, just when we try to get her to eat the mince from the butchers.

She is due her booster vaccine next month so will get her a check up and talk to the vet.

i did have the nature's menu meat blocks but they were never touched, either raw or cooked.

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I feed pork raw, no problems what so ever, so will be absolutely fine cooked (providing she isn't intolerate of red meats - or a breed likely to develop allergies of it).

You should be aiming for a 80/10/10 ratio, which is 80% meat, 10% offal and 10% bone. Your dogs current diet seems reasonably okay, but I'm personally a little worried that it's lacking in calcium - she needs to eat the actual bones to get this, rather than just chew them. Will she eat raw chicken bones? You can always pick the meat off and give that to her cooked if she is that fussy, but the bone must be raw. If bones are a complete no go, then you can always use egg shell - give her a whole raw egg and let her eat the lot, shell included, or if she won't do that, then grind the shell up in a pestle and mortar and sprinkle over her dinner.

As Lyceum said, please don't think I'm criticising but feeding a home cooked diet isn't as simple as just cooking meals up for her, it needs to be carefully balanced, idealy following the 80/10/10 ratio. Her meals everyday needn't necessarily strictly follow that ratio, but they should even up over the course of a week - so she could have a meal with just meat and no offal or bone one day, but the next day she should have a meal of less meat, and more offal and bone.

13. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Maybe as the vet if they have a nutritionist you can call and have a gab too.

Vets know basics about nutrition, like out doctors know basics about our diet.

But your dog certainly has a great start with her diet, once you figure out what you need to add or what % you need to give her things in. She's already on a better diet than a huge amount of dogs.

Also, I have no idea if this would be suitable, but you could use this for the bone meal part of her diet

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/hokamix/73230

(If thats not suitable, I'm sure someone will point it out)

And maybe add some salmon oil for the omega 3 fatty acids. Take care of the skin and coat.

#13 Lyceum, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  14. WelshOneEmma

Can I just be clear that when I say she has raw bones, she eats them. She gets new ones because the old ones have gone. I think I am not being clear there. If anything she may be having too much as 2 hours in the sun her poos are chalky and fall apart, so you have to make sure you get it straight away!

I think the only thing I am not 100% about is the offal. Like i said i will talk to the vet and get them to assess her, hopefully not caused any damage!

15. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I doubt you've done any damage as such, damage caused by diet tend to show up in later life.

So would you say has enough bone to make up 10% of each meal?

16. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

If she's having chalky poos she's definitely getting enough bone IME. Don't bother asking the vet though, he's likely to flog you whatever he gets paid a commission on. :)

17. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I don't feed pork or beef raw or cooked as one of the dogs struggles with a fair few foody items and I was advised pork and beef are made up of a kind of protein which is a little harder for dogs to digest hence I don't give it to him.

The only reason I can think not to feed them is I think pork raw can have bacteria in the meat so it needs to be frozen for a period of time before you feed it but cooked you'll be OK unless you have a dog like mine I'd think...

18. WelshOneEmma

This is what I am now worrying about! We usually get her things like lamb bones, beef ribs, things like that. The rib did take a while but she did eat it all. Hoping the vet will be ok though as they didnt get funny when we were trying to raw feed her.

I will get some bone meal just to mix in a little bit with her normal meals and some oils.

Why do they need the bones? for the calcium? and also why do they need offal? what do they get from it? just being curious really.

also, just reread my reply and it comes across as a little rude - i didn't mean it too!

19. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Emma, if she's got chalky stools you don't need any more bone..........

20. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If her stool is chalky and white she doesn't need anymore bone - infact I'd be inclined to say she was getting too much if her stools are always like that.

They do get calcium and minerals from the bones, but they are mainly for provide a good jaw workout, keeping stools solid, helping the anal glands and for cleaning the teeth - although remember the bulk of the teeth cleaning is done when ripping meat from the bone as this gives a flossing action, so raw meaty bones are best.

The offal is full of different vitamins, iron, minerals (zinc, magnesium, taurine, selenium etc) and fatty acids. To get the benefit from all the nutrients in each different type of offal remember to feed a variety - so heart, liver, kidneys and tripe - I personally feed a very small amount of offal everyday, but as long as they are getting it 3/4 times a week, that should be enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice