Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What made you fall in love?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by koekemakranka, Apr 15, 2011.

1. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Based on a earlier thread about choosing a rescue cat (or the cat choosing you), what was it that "attracted" you to your cat? This is something the animal behaviourist asked me some time ago. I remember liking Nun's quiet regal "classiness" and I fell in love with his big fluffy trousers (I was actually looking for a short-haired cat lol!)

lymorelynn likes this.
  2. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

He was the best looking of the bunch but he actually chose us, we saw him when he still had his eyes closed and he pulled himself over to us, so that decided us, he's been a lovely boy so glad he wanted us :D

3. flev

flev PetForums Member

For me, it was Timothy's immediate friendliness that 'called' to me. As I got up towards his end of the pens, he started mewing and poking a paw out through his doorway. The worker who was showing me round picked him up so I could meet him, and he immediately climbed onto my shoulder, nuzzled up and started purring. I quickly realised he was "the one", and spent about an hour with him, then came back to visit him twice more in the week before he was able to come home with me.

In the past, I've been a bit nervous round friends' cats, so I had said I was after a fairly calm & gentle cat. What I have a complete snuggle monster, but he is very loving and friendly, which is fantastic.

His looks had absolutely nothing to do with my falling in love with him - it was all about his personality. Now he's home I do think he's gorgeous though! :)

Jacqui

4. debbie29

debbie29 PetForums Junior

Aw brilliant question!!

My Reg is a rescue and we went to the local cats protection rehoming show "just to look at what happens"
    I had seen him on their website the night before and specifically wanted to meet him, so when I found his cage I crouched down and talked to him. He was huddled in the back of his cage avoiding eye contact and had obviously zoned out. His fosterer came over and was telling me and my boyfriend about how friendly he is when he is approached but he has never approached her for a fuss. Well pretty much as soon as she said that he skulked over to our side of the cage and started rubbing himself on our fingers. She then laughed and said that we had been chosen. I then promptly burst into tears and we walked straight over to the homing table and put our request in for him! 2 hours later after the home check we were taking him home! that was 10 weeks ago and even though the little monkey drives us mad sometimes it was the best thing we ever did and one of the loveliest experiences I have ever had!
    :D

lymorelynn likes this.
  5. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

What a lovely story :)

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

debbie29, that made me cry!
    After I had Mitzy for a few months I went back to the same 'breeder' :eek: as I saw she had another litter. I actually went along to look at another little girl and she was the prettiest little thing ever, neat, dainty, fluffy and with lynx markings round her face.
    Milo had other ideas and bounded out at me, a funny looking little thing but his personality shone through.

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Gracie came from my best friend (and dog sitter).Her mum was a stray who moved in to have a litter of kittens. I said I would take the one who got on the best with the dogs (and she used to playfight with them and curl up with them.:)). It was just lucky that she also happened to be the only lilac tortie in a black and white litter.

With Patrick I fell for his eyes. I saw this little fluffy tabby kitten staring at me from a pet shop window and his eyes were so big and slanted he looked like a fairy cat!:eek: (I was hooked and carried him home in my coat..) Of course this was way back in the days people bought cats from pet shops..

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Phew!!! Glad I wasn't the only one......

What a beautiful tale. :001_smile: :001_smile:

Going back about 20 years ago, I had a cat called Boris. He came via the Blue Cross but was actually at a womans house who had had about 3 stray queens all give birth in her garden!!

Anyway, I had originally intended calling this kitten Rover when I got him but then had a dream where I was trying to get the kitten out from under my sofa & was calling it Boris. The day after this dream, I got the phone call to say he was ready to be collected.

The BF of the time drove me to the location and I entered this womans open-plan lounge to see a sofa TOTALLY crawling with kittens. There was EASILY about 15 of them clambering around all over it. However, there was one just sitting quietly in the middle watching me as I spoke to the lady. I couldn't stop looking at him & he wouldn't stop looking at me. Eventually the lady said "Do you want your kitten now?" and proceeded to pick up the one who'd been watching me!!! :eek: I wasn't given a choice, she had already decided that this was the kitten I was having.

I didn't have a carrier or box at the time so I had just wrapped him a towel and had him on my lap in the car. He was a bit agitated to begin with and making mewling noises until I just whispered in his ear "There, there Boris, you're ok. We'll soon be home" at which point he just snuggled into the towel & went to sleep!

Till the day he left me, that cat could read my mind!!! He would always meet me half-way up the road when I came home from work, even on the days when I was late. This was also the one, if you read a previous thread, who liked to chew my hair & would stare at me until I let it down for him to nuzzle into. He really was a very special boy & I still miss him now. :)

9. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

We got jet from cpl, out of all the cats he was the one which came up to the doors to see us and put his both paws on therec as if to say "its me, im here". He drooled when bf made a fuss of him, then when bf went to see another - he howled, and believe me he may be our cat, but he is definately a mans cat, but i wouldnt change that or him for the world

10. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

Me and Oh went to get one kitten at our local RSPCA and then saw ollie and dexter with their mum meowing at us and putting their paws through the cage and i fell in love then and there. Oh wasnt sure about getting two but no way was i leaving without my boys and had them three months now and they bring so much joy to my life and so much love. Coudlnt imagine being without them. xxxx

11. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

hahaha, deleted my message. Minoush is not a rescue. Doh!

12. tagalong

tagalong PetForums Senior

difficult to answer for me because I tend to actively seek out the kind of cats I choose to help rather than just go into a centre -but I fell in love with a very elderly lad once -only for him to pass away the day I went to collect him :( his character and determination and loving ways despite literally walking into the rescue off the street did it for me -he was all black and as thin as a rake.

I was asked to determine whether Boris had a future so when I saw the wobbly somersaulting 12 week old boy come running to see me I think it was his sheer joy of life that made me certain he was for me despite the trials of living with a disabled cat :)

13. lucylocket35

lucylocket35 PetForums Member

Blimey, you're all making me cry with your lovely stories!

Mine is not so poetic really. We got Artie from rescue centre that foster their cats. We had applied and had our home check and then went to have a look at some of the cats that they thought were suitable. I kinda had in mind that I would like a short haired black and white cat, so when I was shown the pictures they were a ginger, a grey tabby, and a medium hair black and white. We went to see the black and white one, and although she was a sweet cat and seemed to respond well to my attentions there just wasn't the spark. I felt mean turning her down, but something in my gut told me to. Next on the list, the tabby, I wasn't sure about because he had had surgery after an accident and I was worried about future problems that wouldn't be covered by insurance. When we got to the fosterers he was hiding, and they really struggled to get him out so we could have a look. Eventually they managed to get hold of him and brought him towards us. OH put out a hand to stroke him on the head and he pulled away. I offered my hand to him from a safe distance and he struggled in the fosterers arms to get to me. He was trying his best to rub up against my hand. Just that little show of affection and him wanting my attention made me realise he was the one! I didn't care about his history then, Artie was my boy!

The ginge didn't even get a look in!

#13 lucylocket35, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh, gosh....I am in floods again!
    Mainecoonmummy.....I posted even though Milo was not a rescue!
    Nellie ( first in pics below) was living as part of a feral colony at the Royal London when I fell for her. I was in and out for tests and her family was living in a shed near where I waited for the taxi. I saw her siblings galloping around and playing,ignoring me totally or scarpering if ever I tried to get near.... then tiny Nellie peeped her head out and just sat staring at me. My heart literally turned over. After a week or so of this pattern I literally scooped her up and carried her home, walking instead of waiting for the cab even though I was really ill! She was a very sick, feral kitten...and I was living in a totally unsuitable docklands flat...but it was love at first sight!

#14 Paddypaws, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  15. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I'm so glad it's not just me sitting here with tears in my eyes over these lovely stories :eek:

16. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I will let you know next week when I go to Battersea and bring home something completely different to my 'minds' requirements. The 'heart' requirements are something you just can't control, as my DH (who incidentally looks NOTHING like Keanu Reeves) will testify :D

17. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I think I see in Ari a bit of myself as a child. Does that make me egomaniac? :D

18. morgmonster

morgmonster PetForums Member

We were a little superficial, it was Mia's big round eyes that attracted us to start with :) but their inquisitive personalities then won us over when we got to meet them in the meeting room. Then when I picked them up the next day they let them out of the pen to stretch their legs as there were no other cats out, and Mia rubbed against my leg and looked up at me with wide eyes and said "miaow?" as if to say "Please, are you taking us home?"
    Of course we found out once we got home that actually what she had meant was "Please, are you going to feed me now? I'm SO HUNGRY, I haven't eaten for AT LEAST ONE HOUR, I could just COLLAPSE AT ANY POINT"

19. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

I went looking for an elderly cat - something that would be a nice, simple, quiet companion and the woman who ran the shelter said, yes - they had some elderly cats but would i just look at this one first.

She took a ginger cat from a cage and pushed him into my arms telling me how lovely he was. I was quite taken aback, especially as i wasn't used to cats but he just lay there, unprotesting in the arms of a complete stranger.

She told me everybody loved him until they knew he'd got AIDS (her term). He'd come in with a large abcess from a cat bite - the wound the size of a fist and so deep his hip bone was exposed and he was FIV+ too. The vet advised put to sleep as he was unlikely to survive. She decided to give him a chance and had to clean and pack the wound daily. He'd amazed everyone by surviving but now noone wanted him and he was having to live in a cage as he couldn't mix with the other cats.

After that sad story how could i refuse and instead of my nice, quiet, elderly cat I got an 18 month old noisy, demanding, attention seeking Declan. He's about 8 years old now and I love him to bits...:)

20. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I wish there was a button to say 'love' rather than 'like'

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice