Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What made you choose your dogs name?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DoggieBag, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DoggieBag

DoggieBag PetForums VIP

What made you choose the name of your dog?

Is it due to appearance? He looks like a Max, for example, or he has a patch of colour around his eye so you named him Patch.
    Is it due to taking on a rescue dog and liking the name it had?
    Is it due to always wanting a dog and had already decided on a name? So regardless of its looks etc, you named your dog Keith because you decided on it when you were 11 :D
    Is it after an idol of yours such as naming him/her after a sportsperson/singer/actor you like?
    Or was it simply the first name that came to your head?

2. xshelly_stanliex

xshelly_stanliex PetForums VIP

tara was named this by the rescue and we kept it because we thought it suited her.
    Stanlie i named after my dad, and i think it really suits him :)
    My oh named hooch after the douge de boudeux in the film turner and hooch and again it suites him.

3. mama_abz

mama_abz PetForums Member

Rocky already had his name when i got him and i didnt want to confuse him with a new one and a new home. PLus the OH loves his name.

But he will answer to anything, as he ment to be this scarry breed i sometimes call him cuddles and he will answer to it!! :rolleyes:

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Adam- if I had kids this would be my boy name.
    Hannah- ditto for girls name!!:D
    Heidi- nothing immeadietly sprung to mind so it was decided after going through several baby/dog names books and sites!

5. Munchii

Munchii PetForums Junior

Chloe was named after the chihuahua in Beverly Hills Chihuahua (Disney Film)

6. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

i liked the name alfie.

i wanted to call him rafael nadal (rafa) but it didnt fit with his looks he was too cute!

also im not a rafa fan i love roger federer so its prob best i didnt call him rafa!!!

7. DoggieBag

DoggieBag PetForums VIP

You could of called him Roger :D

When he was outside you called of got him inside by shouting "Roger In" as loud as you could. Sure your neighbours would be entertained :D

8. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Piper was called almond by the Rescue. I didnt like that.

She is "red" (or ginger, which ever way you look at it :p) so we named her after my favourite Champagne - Piper red label!

9. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

no offence to any rogers here but i hate the name roger!!!

that would be good or roger and out!

10. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

We spent weeks trying to think of a name for Nikita, the second day we had her we still didn't have a name :eek:....we were at my parents house and my dad was looking online for something that suited the husky breed and suggested Nikita, we all really loved that one so it was finally settled.

However, we do shorten it to just Kita a lot and my beautiful Berner that I lost in 2010 was called Koda, quite a number of times I've gone to call Kita and said Koda by mistake with them being a bit similar, both starting with a K and ending with an A...makes me sad when I do that :crying:....it'll just take a bit of getting used to.

11. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I've not named any of 3 dogs i've had (Hector, Throp & Hattie) just kept the names they were called at kennels which are part of their registered race names. We were going to change Throp and couldn't manage to come up with anything that suited him better :blush: they all get silly nicknames.

12. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

Festus already had his name when I took him from the breeder and considering we got him 3 days before Christmas and his name means "merry" we decided to keep it like this.

13. DoggieBag

DoggieBag PetForums VIP

Thinking through the dogs I had when I was younger and ones of my grandparents.

Del - Which means "Pretty" in Welsh
    Honey - Due to the colour (Golden Retriever and a lab)
    Sooty - Due to colour (Black Poodle)
    Snoopy - After Charlie Brown's dog

14. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Nelson.. recommended by breeder and first name we all went yes to.

Emma, used to be called Pasha, previous owner renamed her to Emma and only had her for three weeks. Didn't want to confuse her more and rename her for no reason. Nelson and Emma go together anyway.

Daisy. Previous name Blanche. Wanted a name which was "soft" as she's a bully breed. Watching Dukes of Hazard so thought naming her after Daisy Duke wasn't bad.

Benny name kept from rescue.

15. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummel is named after Tummel valley in Perthshire, it's a place that means something to me and OH plus it really suits him :D

Our next dog is proving somewhat harder to name(hopefully a spinone), i love the name Hugo but OH doesn't, he can't come up with anything other than window licker which is Tummels nickname :p

16. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

My kids are massive Doctor Who fans (old series as well as new) so our dogs are named after characters from the show. Our first dog was Nyssa (a companion from the 80's) and Jenny is actually Generated Anomaly (or the Doctor's daughter).

Our next dog will probably be a Rory or Tegan :eek:

Although if I ever get a Dobermann it will be called Caliban which is a Shakespeare character as I have always wanted a Dobie called Cali(ban) since I was 18.

My cats generally tend to have Shakespeare names; Romeo, Miranda and Othello but my present cats are Cookie named after a character in a musical based on a Shakespeare play and Belle- that was what her breeder called her and it suits her so we kept it.

17. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

I'll add my other two even though they're no longer with me if that's ok :eek: ...I miss them both so much.

Koda for my Berner because when we got her she looked like a fluffy bear cub so we choose Koda from the film Brother Bear.

Scott for my Newfie, we got him from French rescue but he was already called Surcouf...he had been in a foster home for a couple of weeks before we picked him up, the people there were English too and hadn't been able to pronounce Surcouf properly so they'd been calling him Scott and he had got used to it...good job really because we couldn't pronounce Surcouf either! :eek: :D

18. Dotte

Dotte PetForums Senior

I had three names chosen, Samson, Darwin or Bryson, I went with Darwin till my boyfriend picked him up and had him in his car when I changed my mind and called him Bryson. Btw Byrson is from my favorite author Bill Bryson :blush:

19. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

We have and "ie" theme.

Sadie - her other owners named her. It suits her and means princess.
    Benjie - rescue named him, it suits him.
    Louie - well it was a toss up between Jake and Louie, but the "ie" theme won and I didn't even realise until the lady engraving his tag asked me what name I wanted putting on it..

They all suit their names but I might get rid of this "ie" thing..

20. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

I didn't choose:( my girlfriend named redd as it was part of his kc name, I thought it was a daft name for a black dog but who am I to argue:rolleyes: my girlfriend and the kids named cooper aswell!, being a French breed I wanted arsene :D, or Thierry :D but wasnt allowed :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice