Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what litter?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by merothe, Jun 5, 2010.

1. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

I am still learning about the world of cat litter! Initially i bought a big bag of catsan. My main issue is how it tracks all over the flat but also I think clumping is supposed to last longer/smell less? So I have bought some pets at home clumping clay litter.

I understand the worlds best and other pricey litters are very good. But I am on a budget so really is there a massive difference between the cheaper litters? The pets at home clumping litter is £1.99 per 5kg and the 'ultra' clumping is £4.49 for 5kg. Does the 'ultra' make that much difference :confused:

Food and vets cost enough and i figure since it doesn't affect their health a cheaper litter would be good!

Thanks,

2. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Clumping cat litter, when used, clumps together but disintegrates when you try to lift it out, at times. Ultra clumping litter forms hard ball type shapes when used and is therefore easier to lift out and doesn't attach itself to the bottom of the tray. Also the grains are smaller so it isn't as painful when attached to a cats pads. I would say also that you don't need to use as much of the the ultra as because it is easier to remove the clumps you don't have to throw as much of it away. So yes it is more expensive but lasts longer. A 5 litre bag lasts roughly 4-6 weeks. Hope that helps.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I used to use wood pellets from P@H which are great but am currently working my way through 40 litres of Bob Martin's antibacterial litter (my OH brought the sacks home)

I am pondering on using sand. I've seen 15kg sacks of the play sand for kids in argos for £2.99 :eek: That would last me ages! I wonder if it's worth it though and would it actually work?

Out of the options you've posted I would probably go for the normal clumping one :)

4. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

Get the ultra-clumping litter, it's much better. As mentioned above, it does last longer; also, it's much more fine in texture whereas the basic clumping stuff is rather coarse, more like gravel, really.

Even better though, especially if you're on a budget: a good tip from the breeder I got my two boys from is to use chicken feed! I kid you not. To be honest, I only used what was left of what the breeder gave me, but you can buy the stuff from farm suppliers for next to nothing - just avoid the pellets and ask for the fine-grained stuff. It's not quite as absorbent as the ultra-clumping stuff, but it'll save you a pile of cash.

#4 Philski, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

I used to use 'thomas' litter in a yellow bag, one bag (2L I think) at nearly €3 only lasted a few days and it had to be completely cleaned out every 2-3 days.
    I now use 'pura' litter, I buy a 20L bag for €12 and the bag usually lasts about 4-5 months (1 cat completely indoors). Its a clumping litter so I remove the clumps a few times a day, eventually the amount in the tray just reduces until your left with just a thin layer at the bottom, I then clean it out and fill it back up again, I do this about every 3 weeks. I find it doesn't track at all, the only way it gets out of the tray is when she digs, I have a tray with a lip over the top so it resuces it a certain amount. Clumping litter doesnt suit every cat as some like to nibble on it which is very bad for them as it expands in their stomach, especially with kittens as they (like babies) put everything in their mouths!

Another idea I came across was using pellets for woodchip boilers, same idea as the cat litter wood pellets version just cheaper especially when bought in bulk.

6. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone

I tried the basic clumping but the kittens didnt like it :rolleyes: So after they hadnt gone to the loo for over 12 hours (!) I did a mad dash back to the store (1 min before closing) to get a better brand. They had the worlds best on offer and i know they had that as kittens - if it really does last 6 weeks before replacing then it is probably worth it so it is on trial (plus I really didnt believe it would be so good at odour control - but it is)...so will be eating pack lunch and/or soup at work for the time being :)

But I am just relieved that they like this brand - I was a bit worried they would burst! I think they were still a bit off colour from their vaccinations so probably wasnt the best time to be experimenting with litter.

7. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Chicken feed pellets are great. I used to use it and several friends still do - just make sure, if you give it a try, that it's the unmedicated type... lots of chicken feed is sold pre-medicated for various chicken ailments.

I have five trays to clean, twice a day, so my biggest bugbear is getting rid of soiled litter. Our local tip won't take bagged soiled litter so I have to travel further. I flush most of the solids from the tray but last year got a bit over zealous with that (sick to death of trips to the tip) and blocked the drains :(

So now using lightweight recycled paper litter, because it's very lightweight, no sticky mess in the tray so they're easier to rinse off. But do find it makes cat wee smell even worse.

8. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

I live in central london so wouldnt have a clue where to get chicken feed :)

But anything flushable sounds good as the kitchen does get a bit pongy on these fine summers days...

9. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

We've been using cat's best öko plus for a week now and it's brilliant.
    I used to have the ultra clumping litter, but I read some disturbing news about that stuff. On a Dutch forum I've been visiting there're lots of posts about the clumping litter being dangerous for cats, since some will ingest some of it while washing for example and the litter forms clumps inside the cat's stomach and gut. A lot of the posts are written by someone who works as a vet nurse and she's seen deaths in cats in their practice because of there clumps.
    I haven't read any real evidence though, but I wanted to try a different kind of litter anyway because it's better for the environment etc.
    If anyone knows more about this and it it's true or not, I'd like to know please.

10. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

Yeah we have too. I must say I can't find fault with it so far. It is so easy to remove the clumps as my daughter does this job and she has noticed the difference.

11. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

All the years I used a clumping cat litter, I'd occasionally see one of my kittens in the tray, apparently trying a bit of litter for taste :) Generally very young kittens who hadn't quite worked out that tray was for one thing only. You'd never have convinced me that they could ingest enough to cause a problem... until two close breeder/friends (coincidentally, both around the same time) had a kitten that was constipiated and had stopped eating. With one of these kittens, the vet eventually managed to manually evacuate the kittens bowel; the other needed surgery. On both occasions it was ingested cat litter causing the problem.

By that time, I'd stopped using clumping cat litter anyhow, but of the people mentioned above didn't even use clumping litter, but another type of 'grit' that isn't water solubable. I now never use anything with kittens that won't dissolve in the gut but I really couldn't imagine an adult cat ingesting enough (or any for that matter) cat litter to cause a problem.

12. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

We use Tesco's own brand wood based litter. It has always done a good job for us. We have tried others, yet always come back to it. It smells half decent and soaks up all the wee wees, plus it gets chucked on our compost heap which has never caused us any problems.

1 bag at about £4 lasts us more than a month per cat. We are going though it quicker now the kittens are using it (they don't half wee a lot :lol:), but I still think it pretty cheap, and of course safe to dispose.

13. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

I wanted to check with my breeder what she advised - 'baby chick crumb' is what to look for. Presumably it is of a finer texture if it is for chicks... looks like you can pick up a 20kg bag for about £10 or so. Bear in mind that the volume of 20kg of baby chick crumb is much greater than 20kg of clumping litter, as it is less dense.

14. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I'm very happy with the Cat's best now and I think it's better in every way.
    I didn't quite know what to believe when I read those posts on the Dutch forum. I've googled and couldn't find anything about cats dying due to ingesting clumping litter. Still I'm sticking with Öko plus :)

15. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I heard that clay (I think) based clumping litters were risky if ingested, but that clay-free clumping, or non-clumping were safe.

Agree on the Cats best though - and cost is not an issue - it lasts so long anyway, and Zooplus have large sacks very reasonably priced.

16. FunkMaster

FunkMaster PetForums Newbie

I tried a few different varieties back when my Jasmine was a little one, but found that for some reason we just went through a lot of it ....

I then found that 'Worlds Best Cat Litter' and yeah, the price is a little steep but been using it for about 3 years now and a medium size bag lasts us about 2 - 3 months ...

What I found was that with the cheaper stuff, even though it clumped well, it somehow consumed a lot of the litter to clump, where as the 'Worlds Best' did the same job, but seemed to use a lot less of the litter for the same job.

I suppose it all depends on your individual needs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice