Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What kinds of things did dog owners used to get away with?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sairy, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Hi everyone, just curious to know (particularly from people who have owned dogs for many years) what kinds of things dog owners used to be able to do years ago that you wouldn't dream of doing these days.

My nan had dogs whilst she was growing up and one of the dogs (a Manchester terrier) that she had used to take herself on walks. They would let her out of the front door, she would walk down the road, cross over at the pedestrian crossing, go through the woods and come back home :Jawdrop. The laws were obviously a lot more relaxed in those days.

I'd be really interested to hear any stories like this.

Katalyst likes this.
  2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

That was really common when I was a kid in the 70s. People who went to work all day would just let the dog out and then the dog would come home when the owner came home. And everyone knew which dog belonged to which neighbour and the dogs knew all the local kids. It was like having a share of everyone's dog.

3. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

In the 60s a friend's dog would be let out on his own, he'd take himself off to the park. I used to call him out of his back garden at night when he was home to take him to the shop with me, I was about 9 or 10 at the time. I used to buy him white mice, the chocolate kind, to bribe him to come with me. It was scary on my own in the dark.

He got himself into all sorts of scrapes. Once he tried to jump over the park railings, misjudged it and skewered himself on them. Luckily he missed any major parts and could be levered off and sewn up. Another time he was out with my friend and I. We went up a tower with him, he jumped over the wall at the top, not knowing there was a very long drop the other side and broke his leg. We carried him between us on the bus to the vet.

These days we wouldn't be allowed out on our own, let alone the dog. :D

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Sounds like you had a similar childhood to mine!

Elles likes this.
  5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

To be honest in the mid 90s my childhood dogs roamed around with us. They weren't latchkey dogs but were turfed outside to 'play' on the streets/parks with us and were rarely on a lead. Me and the other kids would knock on people's doors and ask to walk their dogs, 9 times out of 10 we would be handled the dog and off we would go. Could you imagine that now :Hilarious I really doubt we picked up after them either.

We'd always leave our dogs tied up outside shops, wouldn't occur not to.

We fed them cooked bones all the time including massive cooked leg of lamb bones....

When I was a kid if I trod in dog mess I'd get told off for not looking where I was going.

And of course I remember all the old school "training" and advice. In puppy classes aversives were plenty, rubbing the puppies nose in its mess, using a water spray or bottle with stones in, yanking on the lead, pushing the dog into positions etc. Never give in to a puppy crying at night, never allow dogs on the bed or sofa because they will become dominant etc

Katalyst, Aahlly, Maxine67 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I don't think I saw a dog on a harness until about 10 years ago. And hardly any dog was on a lead when I was young. In fact you would avoid any dog on a lead cos it was a good sign that it was a biter.

Sairy likes this.
  7. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

My friend's dog used to just roam around the village. She'd always come back. This was the late nineties.

Sairy likes this.
  8. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

All the neighbours dogs were turfed outside in the morning and not allowed back in until tea time. We were the oddballs for taking our dogs out on leads! One neighbours dog obsessively chased cars and stole hundreds of mud flaps. He was hit by a car twice, once quite badly where he needed an operation and had stitches from one end of his belly to the other.. and they STILL let him out every day! :eek:

My friends dog walked with her to the school gates every morning, then stopped off at the garage on her way home and helped herself to a loaf of bread. On Fridays she bypassed the garage as the local butcher gave her a bone which she then carried home and kept for the weekend :D My friends mum only found out about her Mon-Thurs bread stealing escapades after the dog died and the garage owner asked where she was as he hadn't seen her for a few weeks and was worried about her.

9. Lyracollie

Lyracollie Crazy hamster lady

My parent's dog was allowed to free-roam, they never used a leash for her (this was in the highlands of Scotland, wasn't many busy roads) and one time she hopped on the school bus with the kids and ended up in the next town over.

Sadly she was hit by a car whilst walking with my father, she had to be put down a year later.

10. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I was never really into punishing animals. I think maybe it didn't really come in properly with choke chains etc until Barbara Woodhouse. There was advice about rubbing their noses in it and smacking with a rolled up newspaper I think, but not much else.

For me though it was white chocolate mice for the dogs, carrots for the beach donkeys and sugar lumps or polo mints for the horses, too soft me. We got our own little dog when I was in my teens. Mother bought her from a pet shop, then took her back, because she thought they'd given her a boy puppy by mistake and she wanted a girl. I was devastated.

They hadn't though, so she came back again. I can just imagine mother putting photos of Dusty's undercarriage on petforums complaining that mother had been had by the pet shop and her bitch was a dog. Would have been a riot. :Hilarious

She was supposed to be a cross between a Tibetan terrier and something else and looked like a very miniature Irish Wolfhound.

I was told that dogs had to do their business in the gutter so it washed away, so I spent many hours and many chocolate mice teaching her. She always went in the gutter. :D She wasn't a latchkey dog, though she did have a couple of litters of puppies. I'd left home by then. I think she was about 16 when she died, maybe a couple of years older even. She was lucky that Skip (my friend's dog) liked white chocolate, I had no idea then that normal chocolate was bad for dogs, but he preferred white, so that's what I always got. :oops:

Katalyst, Maxine67 and Sairy like this.
  11. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It is interesting to think what was different when we were kids ...we always had lots of dogs.

They lived outside a lot ....were always fed outside ....they came in the house of course (and slept in the house at night) but not on the furniture ....not like my house now lol

We were brought up to respect them as animals ...not go near them when sleeping and never go near them when they were eating. They growled. I got bitten a couple of times. Mum told me to be careful as it was my fault. Never even heard of a behaviourist.

Never went to puppy classes. All our dogs had good recall though. Can't remember ever using treats but you did use praise (and all our dogs loved cuddles).

We didn't think of 'picking up poo' ...no poo bags back then. Cleared the garden of course. But I can't remember thinking about doing so when out.

Had never heard of being the Alpha. Or the Pack Leader. That's a modern concept. (If you call post1970's modern ;)). My parents certainly didn't think of dogs in this way so we weren't brought up to either....

You didn't buy things for your dogs ....they had beds (old and tatty blankets I remember) and generally their toys were things we didn't want (old shoes/things we found in the woods etc I remember my dad cutting up some rope for them so they could play tug!). No posh collars or leads. No coats. :eek:

My mum cooked their food once a week and it smelt disgusting ..it was a pan the size of a cauldron and it sat on the Aga (we had a farm kitchen) for hours ...and it contained everything from vegetable peelings to off cuts of meat from the butcher ...and the dogs had a chunk of this with a handful of biscuits every day. Licked the bowls clean too ......

I don't think our dogs roamed ...but I know we once had a male dog come into our garden when our bitch was on heat and my dad explained to me what they were doing ...before he thew a bucket of water over them. :D

J

Katalyst, Rott lover, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  12. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I don't remember carrying poo bags whilst I was young, but we lived on the edge of fields and the dogs were never walked in built up areas.

Our dogs were not allowed to roam but we were in the minority and you would often see small packs of 3-4 dogs walking around. I remember at one point all the pups in the area seemed to be sired by one dog as every dog was black and leggy. I wish I had collected them, given them a false but romantic history and said they were Coal Miners Terriers, coloured black to blend in with coal

Katalyst, Sairy and Elles like this.
  13. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

When I was a kid all dogs were allowed to roam. That was in the days when a man with a red flag walked ahead of those new fangled motor vehicles.

Blitz, bogdog, Bob Ford and 1 other person like this.
  14. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

My dad told me that that the dog he had as a child was allowed to come and go as he pleased during the day. Every morning he would amble off up the road and wouldn't be seen for several hours. On Fridays he would visit all the houses and pick up money that had been left out for the milkman to pay for the weeks milk deliveries and bring it home. My nan had to try and work out where he had been and return the money. Never thought about keeping him in until after the milkman had been:rolleyes:

My childhood was during the 1950/60's and I was bought a puppy when I was 8. He wasn't allowed to roam, we lived on a posh estate in town and people there didn't do that sort of thing apparently:Smuggrin. There was another estate on the other side of town which was quite the opposite and scruffy dogs and kids wandered about all day, puppies and all.

My childhood dog didn't have formal training and was fed home cooked foods that mum got cheap off the butcher and boiled up in a pan every now and again. The dog used to go out with me when I went off playing in the fields nearby most of the time on a lead. I don't believe he ever poo'ed as I have no recollection of seeing anyo_O.

I bought my first dog when I was 19 and he wore a choke chain and went to training classes held in the local school hall. No special matting down to either protect the floor or stop the dogs sliding about. Very much the Woodhouse way of training, but it did him no harm and he was a friendly obedient dog and was often walked without a lead about the housing estate:eek:

Food for him was pedigree chum and mixer biscuit and his bed was a pile of old blankets in the corner of the room. Don't remember any special toys for him apart from an old tennis ball. Occasionally given a Winalot shape as a special treat. He did poo, I saw him do it,;)but never picked up after him apart from clearing it up from the middle of the lawn so dad could mow the grass. I just dug a hole in the garden and dropped the poo into that..

No harnesses, no dog coats, dogs allowed everywhere including shops, if a dog bit you then it was your fault. You found pups for sale in the classifieds in the local paper or a card in the window of the newsagents. Didn't know much about health tests, but luckily met a good breeder when I bought my first dog who enlightened me.

15. winter

winter PetForums Senior

When I was a kid I remember a lot more people were bitten by dogs, especially trying to break up dog fights, people were far more relaxed then nowadays if there was a dog fight people would just grab there dog laugh about it and carry on walking.
    There was no training like there is now and a lot of dogs would wear choke chains there were no dog coats or picking up poo.
    I remember as a child our black Labrador disappeared and the police brought him home, you would often see the police returning peoples dogs to them.
    Dog beds were made up of blankets and coats brought at jumble sales.
    Another thing I remember as being different, a lot of dogs were given chocolate I always shared my easter egg with my dog we had half each, and at Christmas if there were tinned sweets I always gave my dog a sweet if I had one.
    When I was a child there was more dog illnesses about as well I remember distemper being about as my first gsd got it.
    And going to the post office to get the dog licence.

16. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Yep, my grandparents had dogs that took themselves for walks too...one ended up pregnant as a result. All pups were given to family members, not sold for extortionate prices.

They used to feed them bones, and my nan would feed her next door neighbours dogs bones too by chucking them over the fence! She'd save a bag for our dog, who enjoyed devouring them too. This was when the dangers of cooked bones was pretty out there, I was 14 at the time, but it was just seen as the done thing in our family.

My granddad used to walk the dogs on a choke chain ( when they was walked that is! ) and he'd also smack them for bad behaviour :( He was old school.

Dog fights and stuff were not given a second glance really. That was what dogs do, and there was far less molly coddling and hysteria surrounding loose dogs etc.

All the dogs were fed pedigree tinned food, sometimes Winalot & sometimes added dry mixer. They also ate all the leftovers from my grandparent's dinners.

Toys were unheard of. My grandparents gave their dog a tennis ball and that was that! They had the same collar their entire life, same lead etc.

Katalyst and Sairy like this.
  17. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Similar to Labradork for me.
    As a 90's kid we'd see dogs roaming, one particular dog we'd tell to go home if we saw him and he would. I'd take neighbours dogs out. Recall I never even thought about training, take the dog to the park, let it off and it'd come back. I only had one dog not recall when I took her out and that was once out of the hundreds of times I took her.
    Dog fights never really happened. I'd rarely walk Sadie onlead. Tie them up outside shops. And I don't think I really picked up after her either. If I was bitten by a dog - it was my fault - never the dogs.

But over the last 10 years, things have changed, there's more people emotions put onto dogs. More science involved and more cars, more dogs and more media attention.

18. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Just thought of something else.

Once the puppy had their intitial jabs, that was more often or not the last visit to the vets they made, no annual booster, no worming tablets. Any fleas were dealt with with whatever seemed suitable at the local farming stuff shop.
    My IS did come down with a nasty bug as a pup which could have been something like Parvo which wasn't really known about in those days, so visited the vet regularly for drugs for about six weeks. When he was ill shortly prior to his death seven years later, I had to find another vet as the one he had seen when a puppy had retired.

Consequently there was no insurance either.

Katalyst and Sairy like this.
  19. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I was also a 90s child and when I was about 12 I used to volunteer at a local rescue centre with my friend and her mum. It wasn't an issue for two 12 year old children to go in and get a dog each out of the kennels and take it for a walk. One dog I completely fell in love with, who was a lab x and there for some time. I used to collect him in the morning and take him out for the whole day with my parents.

I also used to walk a terrier for a woman who lived down the road. First time I walked him I let him off the lead. He came back thankfully and he was my friend for several years until he died. I also thought nothing of tying him up outside a shop.

My mum had a corgi x when she was growing up, who used to drink beer!

Katalyst and fernlady like this.
  20. RottieMummy

RottieMummy Run free at the bridge my darling x

In the 90s when I was growing up we had 3 dogs, all collies that really were not suitable for our family. None were vaccinated and they were only flea treated and wormed if they actually had either never regularly. They were fed the cheapest food you could buy in Asda plus whatever leftovers we gave them, usually chips, chocolate, sweets etc. None of them had any training and none were walked. We used to use a piece of rope if we needed to take them anywhere as we didn't even own a lead! None were microchipped or wore collars, they were left to free roam. We had a missing panel on our fence and the dogs would let themselves out and do what they wanted. Despite this they never really got injured, an occasional cut paw but nothing major. They never went the vets unless it was a major emergency. We would give them human medications, bandage their paw ourselves etc. It's shocking to look back now! The one thing my parents did get right was they were all neutered.

fernlady and Sairy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice