Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What killed our cat?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Junho Kim, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Junho Kim

Junho Kim PetForums Newbie

Nessie was just coming up to 1 year old.
    We had been letting her out of the house since she was about 7 months old. She only stayed in the garden for while but about a month ago she started venturing outside the garden. She only stayed really close to the house at first and was always within earshot. She'd come running in as soon as we called out to her telling her to have food.

A couple of weeks ago she started venturing out further and for longer periods. A few nights ago she went out about 9 ish and didn't come home to our calls until well into the night so we went to bed. We were worried but we d heard it's quite normal for cats to spend the night away from the house sometimes. Thankfully the next morning she came running in as soon as we called out.

2 nights ago she went out again and didn't come home. The next morning she was still missing but we weren't too worried as shed done this before and cats can spend days away from home sometimes.

In the evening that day we got a call from a neighbour just accross the road telling us that they're really sorry but our cat was found dead in their garden. We were devastated.

The neighbours wrapped her in a blanket and put her in a box for us.
    When we brought her back home she was already cold and stiff so it seemed like she died during the night.

We looked her over and couldn't see any obvious big wounds or broken bones. But when we brushes some of her fur away, we found a single puncture wound. It wasn't big and obviously wasn't bleeding severely as the fur around the wound was quite clean. It only produced a penny sized blood spot on the towel she was wrapped in aswell.

What do you think could have killed her. If it was a fox wouldn't they have bit more or even taken her away to eat her?
    I'd have thought a dog attack would have been more gruesome.
    And a puncture wound from a cat wouldn't have been deep enough to kill her.

Also what could have left a single puncture wound.

We re devastated to have lost her she was such a good cat. It's difficult not knowing how or why she died and heartbreaking to think what her last moments could have been.

Thank you for reading.
    We d really appreciate any ideas or advice.

Attached Files:

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry you lost your youngster so suddenly.

The first thought that comes to mind is a pellet gun, but only because there have been a number of cats in my area (Hemel Hempstead) that have recently been shot - some survived, some didn't. A vet would be able to check for you. If it does turn out to be a pellet, please do report to the police - they probably won't do much for one cat, but if there are several they're more likely to investigate.

One of mine passed away recently, but after he passed, the foxes found him before we did, so we can never know why he died (I was only able to confirm it was him because of his collar and fur). I strongly suspect he may have been another shooting victim though. The place he was found in the middle of a large field was well away from any main roads, and he was quite young and healthy so should have been able to outrun a dog or fox. It's also highly unusual for foxes to kill healthy cats when there is plenty of other, easier food around.

There was another incident nearby last night - they missed the cat but accidently shot the owner in the leg, so hopefully the police will actually try to do something this time. Fortunately, it's only caused a nasty bruise on a human, but at close range could definitely kill a cat.

Junho Kim and Milka like this.
  3. Kittynanna

Kittynanna PetForums Senior

Oh how awful I am so sorry for your loss x

Junho Kim likes this.
  4. Junho Kim

Thank you for your sympathy.
    Why anyone would want to do that to an animal. Absolutely disgusting psychotic behaviour. I hope the criminal in your area gets caught soon.

We already buried our cat as soon as we found her. We didn't even think to take her to vet, the first thing we wanted to do was let her rest peacefully. We ll never know for sure what got her.

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat also, that's terrible. Wish you all the best

5. Junho Kim

Thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice