Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What killed my cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by annelid, May 2, 2011.

1. annelid

annelid PetForums Newbie

I found my lovely old cat Abby dead in the back garden the other morning. She was lying stretched out on her side so I knew there was something wrong, but looked peaceful and asleep. She had not been dead for long as she was still a bit warm. She looked a bit bashed - one eye was closed and a wee bit swollen, and she looked like she had blood in her mouth. Her fur was disturbed and pulled looking on one side of her neck. She had no obvious open wounds, but when I wrapped her in a towel there were a couple of blood spots on it after a while, but only about 1-2 cm across. It did not seem obvious why she was dead. There were some little fur tags scattered around the lawn as though there had been a fight. She was 17 and a bit skinny and clumsy and deaf as a post, but lively, as greedy as always, and affectionate. I was worried about her in the garden at night as she was so deaf you could walk right up to her if she was asleep, but there was no point in locking the cat flap as she would hotfoot out the front door if anyone came in late and then might not have been able to get back in in an emergency. I live in an urban setting and there are foxes and cats, but no dogs running loose as far as I know. Could a fox have killed her, but wouldn't it have taken her away and eaten her? Could she have been killed in a cat fight? She just looked like she had laid down and died of exhaustion and/or injuries rather than been worried and thrown down in a heap. Could she have died of shock or heart failure or must she have had some internal injury that I could not see? I don't think she can have been hit by a car because of the fur tags. I am so sad to lose her, and I like to think that she saw what ever it was off, but that she won the battle and lost the war so to speak. I know it makes no difference to her being gone, but I wish I knew what had happened to her. Thanks in advance of any replies.

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Hi and I'm sorry for your loss

the only way to find out for certain would be to have your vet perform a 'necropsy' (autopsy for animals)

it does sound like the effects of an animal attack but can't be certain with just a description sorry

3. CandyApocalypse

CandyApocalypse PetForums Member

Firstly, I am so sorry for your loss!

I am not sure what could have happened to the poor thing, it could be a lot of things really. I don't know if you could take her to the vet for a post mortem perhaps, though I notice you say a few days ago, so this might not be possible now.

You say she was seventeen, so it could be a combination of natural causes and a possible fight with something? It's difficult to say, I have foxes around here, but they tend to mainly scavenge through rubbish rather than attempt to attack any animals.

I hope you can find some answers, but I also hope you find some peace after such a terrible discovery.

4. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about Abby.

Does sound like a fight of some description.

Bless her she did well to live to 17 and looks like she enjoyed being a cat and out and about even at her grand old age.

Big hugs xx

5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i am so sorry to read this, how very upsetting for you, i have no idea what happened to your cat,how very very sad.:(

6. kunzy

kunzy Guest

sorry, no clue.

7. annelid

annelid PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your kind replies, they mean a lot at a time like this. In a way I am lucky that she died in my garden so that at least I know, rather than her just disappearing and me not knowing. She did still look so pretty.

8. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss :( I'm afraid the only way to geta definitive answer would be to get a vet to have a look.

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

It was possibly a fox, or she could have been hit by a car ... beaten up by a bigger cat. If she was deaf she won't have heard any of those coming, especially if she was out at night. Poor thing :(

#9 Aurelia, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  10. Steph_Mitsy

Steph_Mitsy PetForums Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, how horrible for you. But least like you said you found her and she didn't pass on somewhere she didn't like and you'd have spent time and energy looking for her.

Sorry, I couldn't even start to advise on what happened, will just agree with the other posts and say take her to the vet, so they can't find out.

again, so sorry :( hugs n paw shakes from Steph, David, Peanut and Mitsy xxx

11. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I think a fox :crying: I'm so sorry and I'm honestly in tears for you

Rest in peace puss cat xxxx

12. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

Am so sorry for your loss, 17 is a brilliant age for a cat so you gave her a very long and happy life. :)

It could well of been a car or a fight with a cat sounds more than likely, a fox would of done more damage than that i think. :(

She is at peace now. xx

13. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

So sorry for you loss.

Emz x

14. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

What a shame poor cat. It doesn't really matter now what killed her, but probably been hit by a car given description. What chance would she have had out on the roads ...

15. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Very sorry To hear this. I think she had a fight with something. Poor Abby even tho she was 17 and prob had a great life with you, Its still a sad way to go, and not knowing for sure. If we could turn back time Eh!. R.I.P Abby. run free at the bridge

16. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss.

I think it sounds like she was clipped by a car and she got back to your garden where she died of her injuries.

17. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I think the same as snippet. Clipped by a car.
    Sometimes when clipped by a car they bolt off and die shortly afterwards.
    Could she have gone on the road and then have access to your back garden?

I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy how ever which way they die. It is still very upsetting.
    Try to take comfort that she had 17 wonderful years with you and that you found her and could lay her to rest.

R.I.P Little cat and run free at Rainbow Bridgexx

18. daniellecool2003

daniellecool2003 PetForums Junior

So sorry for your loss.

I think it is possible she may have been in a fight with another animal maybe another cat or a fox. Been old she may have managed to fight off the attacker maybe only to possibly have a heart attack.

I say this for the reason i had a cat years ago when i was mearly 12. Im 28 now. My cat would have been the same age as me. Parents got her for me when i was a baby. We came home one day and it was really warm. We had two cats at the time the younger been the daughter of my cat. Soon as we got to the door. Ginger the daughter came running to the door meowing. Course we thought looking for food. Perhaps at the time now i think back she was telling us something else. We saw no sign of my cat Tumbles. We figured she would show up soon and so waited. two hours passed and no sign of her. We began to worrie. we of course started looking for her. Where our house was, was near a train track. we obviously thought the most horrific. Anyway we came across a person who patrols the tracks. We asked him had he seen our cat. Sadly he said he had. Seems he found her dead on the tracks. She had not been injured however. So we know she had not been hit by a train or anything like that. The way he explained it, it sounded like she had been lying on the sleepers and maybe a train was coming but she jumped of the track and had a heart attack from the shock. we still miss her today.

All i can say it might be comfort to say your cat fought her battle and died peacefully in the garden.

19. annelid

annelid PetForums Newbie

Thanks you again everybody for taking the time to send your kind words. it could have been a car, the cats can get from the back to the front of the house through an allotment area, although the little fur tags might indicate a fight. Whatever happened, she at least had the strength to come back to the space she loved and just lay down and went to sleep in one of her curling up places. She was getting a bit geriatric anyway, but a feisty old girl. The younger cat really misses her and spends a lot of time sitting looking out of the back door for her, but is getting lots of extra fuss to make up for it. Anyway, thank you again, and all the best to you and your feline friends.

20. Think I am thinking the same as Aurelia
    Let us hope that your baby did not suffer!
    RIP sweet girl

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice