UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was telling me that she has started volunteering in an animal sanctuary, she is very happy with the way they treat the animals there. However, she told me that they are vegetarians and that all the animals they have (cows, goats, birds, cats, dogs...) are fed on vegetarian dry food. I respect the fact that they dont want to eat meat but I understand that cats are obligate carnivores, how healthy can this be? My friend says that the dry food has a high carbohydrate content eventhough it contains all the necessary nutrients for a cat´s health.

G

·
If it's an animal SANCTUARY, and the cats are free rangeing, they may eat mice and birds and insects. Are they in good condition? Really sounds a bit nuts, for cats - and even for dogs - tho in some dogs health problems, they appear to thrive on a veg diet. Some cats may sponge on neighbours to the sanctuary. I'm almost vego, but I would never force a cat to eat vego.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's an animal SANCTUARY, and the cats are free rangeing, they may eat mice and birds and insects. Are they in good condition? Really sounds a bit nuts, for cats - and even for dogs - tho in some dogs health problems, they appear to thrive on a veg diet. Some cats may sponge on neighbours to the sanctuary. I'm almost vego, but I would never force a cat to eat vego.
They have boot indoor and outdoor space but they are fed dry food in the sanctuary, they don´t seem to have health issues.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
I respect the fact that they dont want to eat meat but I understand that cats are obligate carnivores, how healthy can this be?
It wouldn't be especially long term, cats have no need for veggies and need meat. Cats can't process a diet too high in carbs.

I'm a vegetarian and my cats are raw fed, it's not about me and my personal decisions but what's best for their needs.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I think its wrong, they are not treating those cats as cats and understanding their needs at all. Long term I should imagine its not great for the cats at all.

Its a kind of arrogance really, however well meaning.

G

·
I guess if they are rehomed, it would be a blip in the diet, but as a sanctuary, it sounds like they would have permanent residents. The elderly and infirm. Sadly, vegetarians can be as loopy as the general populace.

I could see me volunteering there, smuggling in raw heart, etc., and squeamishly sneaking them feeds.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
It's completely nuts and an oxymoron in my mind.... A sanctuary that makes cats veggie :eek:

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wouldn't be especially long term, cats have no need for veggies and need meat. Cats can't process a diet too high in carbs.

I'm a vegetarian and my cats are raw fed, it's not about me and my personal decisions but what's best for their needs.
It is for ever, they dont intend to give them meat. They say that they are choosing between not accepting the death of an animal to feed others for health issues they dont know if they will ever arise.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I will never quite comprehend how some vegetarians fail to see that it is animal cruelty to feed an animal something that is completely species inappropriate. There are certain rules in nature and when a cat kills a mouse, yes, it's sad and the little mouse has lost its life. But the cat will die if it doesn't eat what it's supposed to. Each has its purpose in the food chain.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I will never quite comprehend how some vegetarians fail to see that it is animal cruelty to feed an animal something that is completely species inappropriate. There are certain rules in nature and when a cat kills a mouse, yes, it's sad and the little mouse has lost its life. But the cat will die if it doesn't eat what it's supposed to. Each has its purpose in the food chain.
Agreed. Humans have a choice and the capacity for moral deliberation, but cats don't.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cat's are carnivores - what are they thinking?!

Plenty of vegans/vegetarians on here are happy to accept the cat's natural diet - as previously said people have a choice but it's different for animals - especially one that NEEDS to eat meat!

What if someone brought an abandoned pet snake (a random other example!) to live in the sanctuary - good luck getting it to eat a carrot!

Utter madness, and yes - cruelty.

Can you even get dry cat food with no animal content at all?

they should be reported, but who knows who to seeing as the RSPCA is a waste of time!

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
I'm completely against this, it makes me so angry!! :mad:

I'm veggie, but I would NEVER force that upon Spooks. He is a cat- an oligate carnivore- and it would cause more harm than good to give him a veggie diet. Meat is one of the fundamental needs for cats- if you're not willing to adhere to that then don't consider cat ownership. Simple as. It's unhealthy and unappetising for them.

For me, it's the same principle as I would never feed my rabbits meat. Why would I feed my cat vegetables?

I think this sanctuary really needs to change its practices before the cats are made ill in the long term :(

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend who is a strict vegetarian argued with them and they refused to see reason, they said the cats are healthy and that they prefer feeding that than killing an animal to feed them. My friend even tried to explain that in vegitarian dry food, the carbohydrate content is way too high but it all fell on deaf ears.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My friend says that the dry food they are giving the cats, has the same composition, same amino acid etc as animal based kibble, the only difference is that they get it all from plants. She says they have all the ingredients.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My friend says that the dry food they are giving the cats, has the same composition, same amino acid etc as animal based kibble, the only difference is that they get it all from plants. She says they have all the ingredients.
Sadly, some misguided individuals still insist on feeding vegetarian or vegan diets to their cats. Although the diets are now formulated to contain necessary nutrients, it remains an unnatural diet for a cat. While laboratory analysis may consider that a supplemented vegetarian diet meets the cat's nutritional needs, lab analysis is different from how a cat's digestive system and metabolism work to extract nutrients from a foodstuff. A vegetarian-based diet may cause problems for the feline gut because its enzymes are specific to a carnivorous diet. It is cruel and unethical for a human, adapted to an omnivorous diet, to impose their dietary beliefs on a pet.

A cat is a predator and an obligate carnivore.
They sound like some kind of religious nutters where scientific evidence is ignored in favour of their ignorant opinion.:mad2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.