Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is your flea and worming routine

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SPickle, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:49 PM.

1. SPickle

SPickle PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

My cat is 4 and I've always taken him to the vet every 6 months for a flea program injection (it lasts 6 months) and a milbamax worm tablet every 3 months which I give him at home prescribed by the vet.

Our lovely vet has left the practice and I am now thinking about doing both treatments at home.

What is the best flea treatment?

As milbamax is prescription only, what worm treatment should I give that I can buy online.

My cat is an indoor cat.

Thanks

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Personally I wouldn't be routinely flea or worm treating an indoor cat.
    I have an 11 year old indoor cat who has access to an outside run , he hasn't been flea or worm treated since he was around 9/12 months old .
    He doesn't mix with other animals so he is at very low risk .

Milo’s mum and spotty cats like this.
  3. Lucy2020

Lucy2020 PetForums Senior

You would think they shouldn't be able to catch anything, but my two managed to get worms at least once and possibly a second time while being 100% indoors with no contact with other animals. Only possible cause I could think of was if worm eggs can be found on woodlice/similar insects, which they liked to play with...

Personally I've found Milbemax is the only tablet small enough that my cats will tolerate.

4. Milo’s mum

Milo’s mum PetForums Member

I flee and worm treat (spot on that covers all) about twice a year. June ish and September ish.
    Two Indoor cats and a dog.
    Our dog is 17 and goes on very short toilet walks.
    To be honest she is on the same treatment. She does not like other dogs and avoided her entire life.
    Never seen a flee on any of the animals.
    I believe healthy animals should not be over medicated.
    In the years that we had 2 dogs and were both young and going out, we were again giving the spot on no more than 3 times per dog, per year.

#4 Milo’s mum, Nov 25, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 10:25 AM
  5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I agree with the previous replies that as your cat is indoor only you can probably stop treating for fleas and reduce the worm treatment if not stop that too.

Mine are all indoor and I haven't used any flea treatment for years. I used to worm with Milbemax twice a year, once in March and again in October. However this year I've not wormed them at all. I am tempted to send a fecal sample to Pinmoore Animal Services to get a worm count done. After all if there are no worms there is no point in treating for them.

Milbemax is POM so while you can buy online you'd need a prescription from your vet and in the end it works out much cheaper to simply buy the tablets direct from your vet.

If you still would prefer to treat, personally I wouldn't bother would any over the counter medicines for either fleas or worms as none are effective against everything.

Milo’s mum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice