Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is you and your dogs ideal walk?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Phoolf, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

If I could design a walk for Kes it would begin as a 1.5 mile stretch of nice, sandy beach on a mild day (she does not cope with heat well) playing fetch, then at the end of the beach we would walk up and around a dense hilly forest with a nice stream in it for 2 hours.

What would your ideal walk look like? :)

2. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Yesterdays walk without the people, horses and chance of seeing deer. :)

3. Charleigh

Charleigh PetForums VIP

I don't have my dog yet but I LOVE walking dogs in the snow, there's this beautiful forest/park near me and they have a cafe. I've always wanted to take my pup walking on a sunny snowing day for a good few hours then stop at the cafe get a hot chocolate and talk and let her play with all the other dogs. When I dog sat I used to go there every day and we made doggy friends everyone is really nice and it's good to let the dogs meet other dogs. Ive always wanted to go for a walk in the snow on Christmas day but I can't remember the last white Christmas I saw :(

4. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Oh yes, definitely no horses, cattle, deer or cyclists on my ideal walk please!

5. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

Somewhere with LOADS of squirrels!! Rufus love love loves going to the woods and chasing around after the squirrels. Also somewhere with no water that he might fall into.. he hates swimming. We pretty much have our ideal walk at the bottom of my road.. only thing it's lacking is more friendly dogs. We don't see many there and he does like to run around with another dog.

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

For the dogs it would be anywhere with me and their best buddy Milo, for me it would be a nice long walk on a beach somewhere in Cornwall, late enough on so there arent many people there but warm enough so its not freezing. So if Im going for our ideal walk we will take Milo to the beach with us and spend hours out there :). Oooh I hate this, Im mentally there now :(

7. sophieanne93

sophieanne93 PetForums Member

Walking through a big forest covered in snow :)

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

For Alfie it would be the most varied walk you could make but on solid flat ground these days. A stroll over a field with a little bunny chase fitted in somewhere, through a woodland glade onto a beach where he could go beach combing with no restrictions at all, a stop at a cafe for a bit of people watching and some tidbit, on down a busy street, preferably with fast food outlets for the smells and the chance of a scavenge, back through a field with tussocks where there had been horses fed on just the right diet to make the poops delish ;) and a snuffle round the tussocks for mice.

If it's hot you could throw in an easy access pond or river too :D

9. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Countryside without fences, roads, farm animals or people..

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

A vast area free of any other person, dog (unless invited along by me) or livestock.

There would be a beach, forest and a challenging mountain walk in my ideal place. It would take a full day's walking to do just one of the routes around it.

Not as fantastical as it sounds here in beautiful NI - we regularly mix forest and mountain, beach and forest and some beaches are at the foot of mountains! Livestock everywhere though....even on the beach in some places!!

[​IMG]

11. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

Where I walk most day's and very rarely see a sole :thumbup:....only the odd moorland pony or cow;)

Attached Files:

12. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I think ours would be mostly woods as it's more sheltered from weather like hot sun and rain which would usually prevent being able to go for a walk altogether. Also some clean easy access water for Tammy to drink from without falling in! And preferably with a clear path and not too overgrown so they can actually walk rather than hop and clamber over everything lol
    Ooh and also that there's no other people or dogs!

There's a walk in Wales that i always absolutely loved, in this big woods with a beautiful waterfall and little stepping stones across the water, it's called Ffynone woods, i wish i lived next to it and could walk there everyday!

13. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

At the moment (for me :rolleyes:) it will be anywhere where we don't see any other living things, Ginge would probably prefer a few things to chase and harass so maybe an enclosed beach where she can have an off lead run a few seagulls for the living thing fun and lots of sniffing.

Trouble is our beach has very low 'cliffs' that the ninja can escape up but the cows do quite regularly escape down there, I haven't some across them yet but it sounds such an odd thing to see.

In the future we have a 5 mile walk that we have dubbed the prettiest circular walk in Suffolk. Reed beds, heathland, beech wood, ancient wood, farmland and beach, apart from mountains pretty much any habitat you can think of with either the pub or the tea shop half way round whichever place you start. With the chance of seeing seal, porpoise, deer and marsh and hen harriers :D

14. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

On a deserted beach somewhere in loads of snow, please :D

15. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Somewhere with some nice open spaces, maybe a large beach, for lots of running and then a walk off through some lovely old woodland with a small, gentle river running through it.

16. AdMed

AdMed PetForums Member

Oh that sounds lovely, where is it? We're not that far from Suffolk and that walk sounds like it's worth the journey.

I think Barney's favourite walk is just about anywhere, although he particularly likes walks which finish in dog friendly pubs or cafes where he might get a few little tit bits and some fuss for being a good boy.

We've had a couple of lovely walks recently, both just at dusk with spectacular sunsets. First one was on Magog Downs just outside Cambridge where there is a secure fenced off lead dog walk and on Saturday we walked the coast path from Morston Quay to Blakeney with friends and their dog and then popped into a dog friendly pub nearby for a pint. And best of all there were three labs also in the pub who had been out beating all day.

There is something very special about a nice pint in a cosy pub with a real fire and five dogs lazing about :D

17. bellamum

bellamum PetForums Newbie

Bella prefers autumn and winter walking, with snow definitely being a favourite. There's nothing better on a crisp cold morning than getting all wrapped up (me that is!) and taking her up on the fields where she's in her element. These shots were taken a couple of years ago when we had loads of snow and freezing temps. Lovely!

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

A nice crisp, sunny autumn morning and somewhere without other dogs or people. Then a big squirrelly wood for Hannah to chase varmits, a large open field for Heidi to run about like a loon and some large, stanky ****piles for Adam to roll in!:rolleyes:
    (obviously the stanky ****piles would be more Adams ideal walk then mine!!LOL).

19. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Easy:

Bruno's favourite is the beach with his football and playful dogs around so he can play a game of CHASE ME! and run like the devil's after him.
    :D

20. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

A huge, huge area with woodland, scrub and open grassland for running with the whole lot being completely FENCED IN! So I would have no need to worry about Bess running out onto a road. :dita:

No sheep or cattle - but I'd like to see what she'd think of deer (probably run a mile), and rabbits or pheasants she could (try and) catch for her dinner. :D

That reminds me. Must start doing the lottery so I can afford that country estate!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice