Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is wrong with my fish

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by CathyP, May 19, 2020.

1. CathyP

CathyP PetForums Newbie

Hi .... any ideas on what’s wrong with my fish .. always been healthy then this appeared. He’s still eating but can’t work out what it is

Attached Files:

2. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

First of all, welcome to PF. I am sorry to see that your fish is unwell. We will do our best to help you resolve this issue.
    @LinznMilly and @magpie I think this could be a fungl infection. But not sure.

Hey can you post the tanks water parameters. Please follow the post I have linked to ensure you give us all the correct bits of information. Thank you.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/in-case-of-emergencies-please-read-before-posting.527124/

#2 George Duke-Cohan, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    magpie likes this.
  3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Hi :)

As well as answering as many of the questions on the link above as you can could you clarify, is it the white stripe on his side we are talking about? I also can't tell if his eye looks cloudy on the picture?

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  4. George Duke-Cohan

If you look closely at the gills I think I can see signs of white spot. But not sure if this is part of the fishes completion.

5. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Those are breeding stars & totally normal :) Most often seen on male goldfish during breeding season, though very rarely a female will get them too.

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  6. George Duke-Cohan

O ok. This is why I tagged you. PF local goldfish expert, who has some of the cutest and just mesmerising goldfish I have seen to date.

magpie likes this.
  7. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Fungal infections protrude outward (I have a Tetra with one right now). This is eating into the flesh. It's a bacterial infection, and an aggressive one at that. Probably columnaris.

@CathyP , I know those questions appear daunting, but please, could you answer them? We only ask because they help us to help you.

magpie and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  8. George Duke-Cohan

Damn columnaris is horrible. I looked it up and I closed the tab as it is so nasty to see.

9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

@CathyP , how's your fish this evening?

A bacterial infection rarely goes away without treatment, but before we can safely recommend appropriate treatment, we need to know the conditions inside the tank, which is why we need the answers to those questions.

The reason we ask about tank size is because the smaller the tank, the quicker things such as water chemistry and quality and temperature change. It's also easier to overstock the smaller tanks.

We ask about stocking for a few reasons;

1). To rule out overstocking,
    2). To rule out any compatibility issues,
    3). To ensure that any treatment we advise is safe for all fish concerned.

New tanks, or ones have have had a sudden major change (such as a whole substrate change) are more prone to things going wrong. Likewise, adding new fish runs the risk of introducing a pathogen into the tank. This is why we ask how long the tank has been set up and when new fish were last added.

We ask about cycling, water changes, and using dechlorinator because they could all point to (or rule out) any issues with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or chlorine, which is in itself a toxin.

I hope this explains why we're asking the questions we are. :)

magpie and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice