Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What is wrong with Barney?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by BarneyBobCat, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Annealise

Annealise PetForums Member

Pleased to hear Barney is back to his old self.

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  2. dustydiamond1

dustydiamond1 One of two loving minions to Gypsy since Oct 2016

:Wideyed :Nailbiting :Jawdrop :eek:

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  3. dustydiamond1

Looking for ideas for you, found this on Pintrest. You should check out some of the other fantastic ideas there!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ikeahackers.net
    To give my indoor cats a new challenge I made them a climbing wall. It takes up very little space and could be fitted in any small room or apartment.
    Published March 24, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#483 dustydiamond1, May 15, 2019 at 4:03 AM
    Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 5:40 AM
    chillminx and BarneyBobCat like this.
  4. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat PetForums Senior

Barney would love that! At the moment he is trying to climb everything possible, his head is always up looking for the next mountain to conquer!!

chillminx and dustydiamond1 like this.
  5. dustydiamond1

Gypsy would love it too!

3.jpg 4.jpg thatface.jpg

6. BarneyBobCat

Is it ok to put sandpaper tips on Barneys claws for a week, then varnish the following week?
    20190515_213808.jpg

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Let us know how effective it is:D

BarneyBobCat and dustydiamond1 like this.
  8. BarneyBobCat

Like I could pin him down to do anything at all with his claws!

dustydiamond1 and chillminx like this.
  9. BarneyBobCat

Bit of an update;

I think we are starting to loose our minds...... Barney has us up at 4am every morning and will not calm down until lights out at 11pm. The lucky bugger gets to sleep during the day whilst us slaves do our duty. The vet is telling us to relax his cage rest as he is very happy with Barneys progress - we have honestly had to do this anyway because of his energy levels! But when we do have him in the pen its the only peace we actually get.

Thats IF he isn't crying for attention.... it would seem that regardless of mood he wants to talk - I know this is a Savannah trait but he is a proper chatter box! Very loud meows, chirps, trills...often no reason and hard to understand. He despises being cooped up, we do try to keep him contained but sometimes he will not rest. When we do let hm out and he behaves normally he does seem happy as his tail is beyond vertical and his morning cuddles have been intense lately. But he mainly wants to run round the whole house and climb everything possible... or preferably be in the garden. We have been taking him out on his harness but again it doesn't seem to satisfy him as he cannot do all the things he would like, you know like eat bees, chase birds and climb out of the garden.

We now have three cages:
    1. the original fabric one we bought which Barney can now turn upside down whilst in it, or use as a kind of trampoline whilst not in it - I am convinced he is secretly trying to destroy it
    2. a medium metal cage which we use during the day when we are out. He has now realised he can pull it along with his teeth from the outside - again I think this is a ploy to break it
    3. a large metal cage. Its so big Barney can actually climb up the sides - he hasn't made any attempt to break it yet, but I think he knows its more likely my own back will break first moving it about. This is going to be used as his catio garden / longer day cage if we are out

We have tried everything to keep him calm... more cage rest FAIL, less cage rest FAIL, some play time FAIL, more play time FAIL.

He's on Gabapentin which is meant to have a slight sedative effect - it hasn't and now the dosage is reduced or he is feeling better it has not had that effect at all!

It feels like we have had an actual baby and its needs are slowly starting to get us very tired and wary. Neutering pre-Op a week on Saturday, will the snip make a difference?!

dustydiamond1 likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

He is quite a handful isn't he! :D I'm afraid that having the snip is unlikely to calm him down much (if at all) - it has never done so with any of my male cats, past or present anyway! :Woot

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  11. dustydiamond1

Fabulous video!

MaggieDemi likes this.
  12. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Imagine you're Big Daddy and wrestle him down. Keep him pinned there while Mrs BBC applies the sandpaper. SIMPLES!:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious
    Dream on:D

13. BarneyBobCat

Well I'm at a bit of loss what to do to burn his energy off. I've contacted @Psygon as I think I read she had a cat wheel - perhaps this will get him the exercise he needs although knowing Barney he will climb on top of it and do circus tricks instead

AmsMam, dustydiamond1 and Psygon like this.
  14. BarneyBobCat

Oh, and he did this earlier....
    20190515_194821.jpg

dustydiamond1, chillminx and SbanR like this.
  15. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Have replied :-D

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  16. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Did he claw his way up or is there something out of camera shot that he used as a launch pad?

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  17. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

My bet is he jumped from the washbasket!

dustydiamond1 and BarneyBobCat like this.
  18. BarneyBobCat

We have a winner!

dustydiamond1 and Psygon like this.
  19. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Wow! That's a fair old leap!

20. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Cor blimey, BBC! Barney is such an adventurer...remind me never to get a Savannah kitten, I’d be beside myself ;)

I’m so glad to read he’s feeling better and that the cage rest has helped. Being awake that early is common at this time of year I think. If it’s a sunny morning, we are awakened before 5am by Oscar - so we have the whole ritual of curtains and blinds before bed, just for an extra few minutes sleep, as we never know where he will sleep. I’m sure he’ll be better at sleeping later when the autumn comes...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice