Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is up with my puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Samoyedydog, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Samoyedydog

Samoyedydog PetForums Newbie

My 14 week old puppy has had diarrhoea since Thursday I don't know what is up with him because he seems totally fine in himself, still wants food (although has gone off his dry biscuits) and I've been feeding him boiled chicken, rice and egg to try and sort him out but nothing is helping. He is still playful and wanting to go for walks. When he poops there is loads of little white balls in it (is this the rice? Don't remember seeing this before he had rice) the weird thing is that he has had a couple of completely solid normal looking poops in between the diarrhoea and he's not going for a poop more often than usual. I'm going to phone the vet when they open but just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

2. Samoyedydog

I can upload pics of the poop if it will be helpful, albeit a bit gross!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

unfortunately what you are feeding him is also a prime cause of upset tummies with both chicken and eggs carrying the risk of salmonella and rice Cereus Bacillus. It sounds as though the dog may have a high worm burden and I would go straight to the vet with a sample particularly with the white balls.

4. Samoyedydog

Ok, I am going to phone them when they open at 9. Do you think they will be able to just take a sample even if they can't give me an appointment? They're only open a couple of hours on a Sunday.

5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

If you are already registered with a vet you should ring them and ask what to do as you are concerned . They will likely ask you to take him in and take a specimen with you (unless you saw them very recently in which case maybe just the specimen). Has he been wormed by you since you got him?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Samoyedydog

Yes he's been wormed twice since he's been with me. First time with Panacur and second time with Drontal.

Calvine likes this.
  7. Samoyedydog

Taken him to the vets she's said he seems fine, doesn't think it's worms and thinks he's probably just eaten something dodgy! Given us Canakur paste and some Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal food for the next few days. Hopefully it clears up :(

Calvine likes this.
  8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

That's reassuring for you...does she want to see him again or just wait and see how he gets on with the stuff she gave you? Any pictures of him?

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hope he feel better soon, it's a worry when a puppy isn't well.

what's his name and pictures PLEASE:)

Calvine likes this.
  10. Samoyedydog

She has said if it hasn't cleared up in 48hrs to go back. His name'a Teddy and I will try and post a picture!

Attached Files:

11. Samoyedydog

Here he is with my girl!

Attached Files:

12. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

what breed is he please?

13. Samoyedydog

He is a Samoyed :)

14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

He's gorgeous...so is your girl; really cute!.

15. kellz

kellz PetForums Newbie

Well, what you are feeding your dog is not a balanced diet. I suggest you take your puppy to the vet immediately and find out what an appropriate diet for your puppy would be.

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What you are feeding him while he has the runs is appropriate. chicken or fish with rice is often the recommended diet for a dog with a dodgy tum. Personally I would not give egg though. Feed little and often and if it is still not clearing up then try changing the diet slightly in case he has a problem with digesting what you are feeding him. I would not have gone to the vet over the weekend with a dog that was completely normal and just doing runny poos at normal intervals. It is just something that happens. I do not understand what the white bits are though, did you take a sample to the vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice