Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is this? and is it painful?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by button50, Sep 3, 2013.

1. button50

button50 PetForums VIP

I saw a lady at out country park yesterday and her dog had one on these collars on, I have never seen them before and just wondered if anyone knew what they are and if they are painful for the dog as i thought it didnt look very nice.

2. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

They're called prong collars.

This thread will turn into an argument no doubt lol, so just be warned :)

3. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Not a collar I would even dream of using, personally - brutal.

4. button50

button50 PetForums VIP

Oh dear ive never seen or heard of them...I dont want a war just wondered why they are used?

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

It's a prong collar. Not painful to the dog unless it is pulled against, whether by the dog pulling or the owner yanking the leash (which I'm told should not be done with a prong but people do). Not something I would choose to use, I don't want to train my dog using discomfort, pain or fear but I see a lot of dogs here wearing them.

6. Hopeattheendofthetunnel

Hopeattheendofthetunnel PetForums VIP

It is a prongue collar.

Their aim is to stop a dog from pulling. If the dog pulls the prongues/spikes dig into it's neck. The resulting pain stops the pulling.

From what I read online they work very well. But so does hitting a dog with a stick on its nose if it pulls ahead. (and, yes, I am being sarcastic).

Didn't know they were still around. Oh, dear...

7. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

I would hesitate to say they are used more over in the US, and with more working dogs (Shutzhund and the like) than pet dogs.

8. button50

button50 PetForums VIP

So...Its to stop pullling? But if the dog is pulling does it hurt them?

9. danielled

danielled Guest

It's a prong collar. Nasty things they are.

10. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I imagine it hurts a lot. Disgraceful things that I wouldn't ever use.

11. button50

button50 PetForums VIP

Suprised that they are availible then really.

12. leashedForLife

actually, & unfortunately, since they are sold pretty cheaply in dam* near every pet-supply in the USA, they are
    just as often found on any dog who pulls, or is merely untrained, no matter what breed, & without correlation
    to whether the dog is simply a pet, or is expected to perform - in a job, in competition, in sport, anything.

About the only dogs U are unlikely to see them on are toy-sized, under 20#; anything from Beagle upward,
    somebody will be using it on their dog. It's not the majority of owners, thankfully, but it is common - as are
    choke-chains AKA infinite-slip or nylon infinite-slip / chokes.

Ppl want simple solutions; slapping aprong-collar on my dog who pulls seems simpler than teaching my dog
    to walk politely on a loose leash, & surely it's faster to go buy a collar than bother teaching my dog?... :rolleyes:

Dogs pay for the sins of their owners every day; laziness is one, ignorance is another; lazy owners can't be
    arsed to train, not solo with their dogs & not in a group class or in one to one lessons with a trainer. Ignorant owners
    can't be arsed to learn about nutrition & food quality; they swallow the guff that manufacturers sell them in ads,
    as if it were mother's milk & pure as distilled water. :sosp:

13. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Yes it does. The harder they pull (or the owner jerks the lead) the more the spikes dig in. Seen photos of the damage the prongs can do - barbaric :mad:
    I suppose they must work though..I mean if someone was sticking spikes in my neck I think I would behave.
    Some owners must hate their dogs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice