Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is the youngest a kitten can leave the Mother?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Chaddycat, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:20 PM.

1. Chaddycat

Chaddycat PetForums Junior

Hello... I've done a bit of searching and some sites say 12 weeks. Others 8 weeks? What age is best and why?

2. Beautiful Storm

Beautiful Storm PetForums Member

12-13 weeks is best. Although the kitten may be weaned by 8 weeks, between the ages of 8-12 weeks it will learn a lot of social skills from its mother and siblings, which will benefit not only the kitten but also it’s human family.

lorilu, Cully, Bertie'sMum and 3 others like this.
  3. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Please don't be tempted to get a kitten under 12 weeks of age. Up until that age they are very dependent on Mum and siblings to learn how to be a cat. They learn how to be sociable and what is acceptable behaviour i.e. if they play too roughly siblings will quickly put them in their place.
    What they learn in those first months will define the sort of adult cat they will grow into. If they leave too early they will probably cause you problems through unacceptable behaviour because they haven't learnt any different. This is one reason you see so many cats in rescue centres, when the owner finds they can't cope. It's not the cats fault if the vital education they are getting from their feline family is cut short by removing them too soon.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

At minimum 12-13 weeks and should be vaccinated, neutered and microchipped before adoption.

Unfortunately many larger shelters tend to let them go at 8-10 weeks but smaller operations are much better at keeping them for the optimum time.

Cully likes this.
  5. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

You CAN bring up a kitten almost from birth if its mother dies and no foster can be found. But the longer it stays with Mum the more it learns of how to be a cat, to wash, use the litter or cat flap, hunt (!) play and all the other useful lessons of cat life.
    When I was young kittens used to be considered ready at 8 weeks but this was found to be too soon and often resulted in kittens with toileting problems and difficult personalities.
    Then it was 10 weeks which was better.
    Now its at least 12 weeks. The only drawback there is that they've lost their baby cuteness although they are still playful and loving.

So its 12 weeks.

Babyshoes likes this.
  6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

My new kitten was 15 weeks when I got him and is super playful & confident. I don't feel I've missed out by not having him earlier

lorilu and spotty cats like this.
  7. Chaddycat

Thanks all!

I will be getting the kitten vaccinated and Neutered as hes not from a rescue centre x

8. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

They do miss their Mums terribly when they're very young, its not fair. Over 12 weeks is the accepted age.

9. spotty cats

Hopefully not from a byb? Is there a reason he can't be responsibly vetted before leaving?

10. AshwinR

AshwinR PetForums Junior

Between 12 -16 weeks

11. Chaddycat

Of course from a back yard breeder.... where else?! ;)

Seriously though no hes not. A relative rescued a couple of kitty's from her workplace. They were booked in to be spayed and then covid hit. Kitty got out, one night stand and boom!

12. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

If someone's giving a cat away for FREE, they don't usually stand the cost of immunising.

13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Actually a week after the 2nd vaccination, which is from 13 weeks.

14. Chaddycat

15. spotty cats

There are many reasons not to give kittens away for free, being cheap about vetting kittens after allowing a cat out to mate isn't an acceptable excuse.

16. Chaddycat

My relative is in no way cheap.She has horses, chickens, dogs and cats and spends a small fortune on keeping them well cared for.
    The cat was not allowed out to mate, it snuck out once when she opened the door and didnt realise the cat was ready to leg it out. She rescued them from a tip so they could have ended up crushed or trapped. She had the spay all booked up then covid hit and only emergency ops where being done so it got cancelled. And I offered to get all the jabs and neutering done. Yes the cat is free because I am family and she knows I'd give it an amazing home. All my other animals are from rescue centres. Unfortunalty the kitten passed away yesterday. She rushed him to the vets as he was fitting, he died on the way there. I guess my point is find out the circumstances before presuming someone just let's there cat out to breed. And if your comment was aimed at other people then it has no place on this post as the question was what age can a kitten leave there mother.

Summercat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice