Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is the recovery time after an infection?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Agaj, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Agaj

Agaj PetForums Newbie

My kitten recently had to go to the vets due to diarrhoea and lethargy. She’s on antibiotics for a gastro infection. While she physically looks better, her poos are solid now and she seems a bit more alert she is still not playing or doing what I would call her usual behaviour. She’s about 3/4 through the antibiotic course does she need more time to recover or should I be contacting the vet? This is my first cat and I just want to be certain I’m doing the right thing.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Her progress due to the antibiotics should continue while she is on them and for a short while afterwards. Then once she feels better in herself her enrgy levels should increase and she should be more active and playful.

Is it a 7 day course of AB's? If she is not back to normal by a couple of days after the course has finished then you would be best to speak to the vet. It may be that she needs a different antibiotic for the specific bacteria. Is it Metronidazole or Metrobactrin she has been prescribed?

Did you have her stool samples tested before the ABs were prescribed? A faeces test would have identified the bacteria or parasite causing the illness and if it's an infection the lab would have stated which ABs the bacteria were sensitive to.

3. Agaj

Agaj PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    Yes its a 7 day course that finishes today. I believe its metrobactrin but I'm at work currently so cant check (my sister is cat sitting for me). Her stool wasn't tested but she did have blood tests. She is definitely looking better eg her fur looks nicer and her eyes are brighter and her stool is normal now. its just her energy levels. hopefully she will improve a bit more after she has finished the course this evening x

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

A blood test wouldn't identify the specific bacteria causing the diarrhoea, it would only identify that she had an infection of some kind. Always worth having stool samples tested as well when there is chronic diarrhoea.

Metrobactrin is often given for feline bowel infections, so hopefully it will do the trick.

I am glad she is feeling better and I hope she continues to make good progress.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice