Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is the Matter with Some People?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by HighlandQuine, Jul 8, 2009.

1. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

Argghhh!!! :mad:

So I live in a wee tiny village where there's lots of dogs.

Someone who lives right beside a path on a favourite walk for everyone had two Staffies, one white, one brindle coloured. Now I've seen these dogs out on their own wandering about, no one with them.

At the weekend one of them bit a kid on the face. From what I hear the kid was provoking the dog but I don't kow for sure. Anyway, predictably the dog was taken away and PTS. Terrible scenario for all involved.

This afternoon I had the boy out for a walk and we're almost at where the remaining dog lives. I happened to look over and saw the dog, wandering the street, on it's own, unaccompanied. It spotted my boy who luckily didn't see him, and it stopped dead in the middle of the road. It might as well have said "Come ahead!", I mean this was a pure aggressive stance. I managed to turn Bailey round and interested him in something else and I watched while this other dog stood for a while, watched us and then moved off.

A car pulled up across the road from where I'd last seen the dog so I felt okay to move on. When we got to the house where this dog lives the front door was wide open, again.

So basically, the dogs are let out on their own, one of them bites a kid and is PTS on Saturday and yet still, there's the front door open and the other one wandering around on it's own. I really felt quite threatened and wouldn't have walked by there if the car hadn't pulled up across the road so I knew there were people about just in case.

Honestly, I was fuming about it. I swear if I see this happening again I'm going to report it to the dog warden. I have actually emailed the dog warden today to clarify exactly the lay of the land in terms of dogs off the lead and wandering on their own.

I'm so mad!!! :mad:

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

If this dog was taken off them and pts sleep why weren't the others taken away? Seems to me the owners don't care at all otherwise they wouldn't let what's left of their dogs to roam about!

Something similar happened to me once. It was when I had just got with my OH and I was living with a friend. I was going somewhere to meet him and I was walking down the road (in the dark) I happened to notice a dog on the pavement. I have never been afraid to walk around my town but I have never cross the road so fast in my life. The dog sort of hunched down, fur up and started growling at me :eek:

3. Sheltielady

Sheltielady PetForums Junior

I know the feeling it's very frustrating! I too live in a tiny village and in the last 10 years the dog population has more than doubled, but that isn't the problem, it's the newcomers to the village who seem to think that because they now live in the countryside it's ok to let their dogs wander the lanes loose and unaccompanied. This causes a danger as a neighbours chow chow recently badly bit another neighbour, yet this dog is still allowed to wander off on it's own!!! What they really need is a gate to keep the dog in. One of my own Shelties has been nipped 3 times since January by my neighbours Newfoundland x breed and all my neighbour says is "oh, he's only being protective!" This particular dog seems to hate all the other dogs in the village! So now my Sheltie is terrified of him and of walking past his garden. Most of my neighbours walk their dogs through the country lanes without their leads on, without their dogs being under proper control! I thought all dogs had to be kept on a lead on the roads? :cursing:

4. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

Hubby had Bailey out this morning and the dog was there again, no one with it. :mad:

If it's there this afternoon I am definitely reporting this, it's absolutely terrible.

5. rona

rona Guest

I would report it now, give the dog warden time to do something about it before the weekend

6. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

it must be people going mad in the sun or something, because we have these young kids who's just brought a staffyx

No garden to the property, kind of like a little dolls house, (I know because my mum lived in the house a few years back) and a week ago, this young kid just opened the door and let the dog roam free in the street. All the kids play out outside the front doors and this dog ran at a 4 year old, and pinned her in the corner ready to bite her, it was just pot luck that the other children in the street call this childs mother.

In the middle of all this the people that owned to dog didn't know what was going on as the gf was in the bath and the bf back to bed!!! :eek:

to cut a long story short the mother of the child, got the dog and dragged it back to its home and told the girl who only had a towel around her, that if she see's the dog again she was going to kill it :eek:

The GF shout back at the woman sent the dog crazy and then the staffy wanted to rip the childs mother apart.............

All because, he justs lets the dog loose......
    I fill some people are not fit to look after themselfs let alone a dog!!!

Good post!!

7. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

Its called pure laziness, they will not get of their a***s to take their dogs out. I have the same problem with my neighbour, he will not take his dog out or supervise him when he lets him outside to do his business. We live in a small row of houses facing open ground and this dog will attack mine even when their on leads and he menaces my visitors if he is out. I have spoken to my thick neighbour but he says to let them sort it out doh!!. I have been avoiding calling the warden as I like to live peaceably but I will if it carries on. I would definately call warden straight away in your case. Its not fair to the dog either as staffies are lovely if they get fair play, unfortunalely they are status dogs therefore you have idiots keeping them.

8. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Has the second staffy bitten anyone yet......

Because by you calling thw warden, maybe they might be able to re-train the dog and get home re-homed!!!!??? :eek:ut:

9. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

this is all such a sad story, people just dont deserve animals, how can they still be letting there dog out when the other one was put to sleep, this will surely be the same outcome if the owners just let it keep wandering around. If they do not want the dog, it would be better to hand it in to a rehoming centre, then the dog would at least have some chance. Rather than risking it biting and being PTS.:(

10. ally

ally Banned

OOOH people like this make my blood boil! They are so thoughtless and give responsible dogowners a bad name. They obviously have no thought of the poor child and the trauma they and their family's going through now and maybe for a long time.

I feel sorry for other owners of Staffies who are responsible and have to put up with the bad press the poor breed get when as we all know, it isn't a "breed specific" to be vicious, but thanks to people like this idiot the press continues. It also shows no feelings of loss for the PTS'd dog and I feel that they should have had the other dog removed and been reported for their behaviour.

I wouldn't have a Staffie but not because I dislike them or because of their reputation; they are fantastic as a rule with children and other animals, but it sickens me that because of that owners thoughtlessness, a dog has been destroyed and a child has suffered.

Oh I am so cross now.

11. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

This happens a lot here too. I was actually shocked when we moved in to discover the amount of dogs that are simply allowed out to walk themselves!

There's no excuse for it really as all the houses round here have huge fenced front and back gardens and there's several fields and a wooded area nearby available for dog walkers.

For a while I actually stopped walking my dog for a while after we moved in as I felt very intimidated by all these dogs roaming round and I had no idea of their temperament.

Things seem to be better at the moment, but then I'm sure people will settle back into their old ways during the hot weather.

12. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

Not only is it scary, but i for one is scared that the other stray dogs will cross the road and be hit by some passing car. Can't go through watching an half dog still yelping and breathing for well over 2minutes. :(

They should make a dog license whit a cost of like 500-1000£ to keep drugged skinheads away etc , and letting your dog out stray should cost 3 star each, not scooping poop 1 etc.. At 5 stars its rehoming and a 200-500£ bill. Imho.

Idea; elite dogowners get money back after 3-5years of owning the dog they bought a license for. Also different breeds need regulations in price. Oh boi , the ideas that roam in my head sometimes. :p http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/letters?articleid=4200911 this is a good counter for my idea, but then again it don't stop any backyard breeders and stupid ppl generaly which a license would target easier. So that statement goes right down after i read it. imho.

#12 Varkhond, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice