Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is the difference between voluntary redancy and normal redancy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, May 20, 2010.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

As some of you might know my hubby may be made redundant within the next few days.What we don't understand is the diference between the two.Anybody got the answer please?

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

voluntary redundancy is where the company is making redundancies would prefer to do this by allowing those to leave who wish to leave. It is solely the choice of the individual to make that choice.

The other redundancy is a compulsory redundancy where the company selects the staff to be made redundant and the staff dont have a choice.

3. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Voluntary redundancy is literally what it says. A company often asks first for voluntary redundancy - ie people who would be happy to be made redundant to see if enough people are interested before making compulsory redundancies. There are many reasons why people will apply for voluntary redundancy - they may be in a financial position that they are not desperate for their 'career' job, often older and have maybe paid off their mortgage. They may be looking for a change of career anyway and usually, they will have done enough years so that they redundancy offer is worthwhile. If not enough people take voluntary redundancy then compulsory redundancies are usually made where people have no choice.

4. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

That's you and me in the same boat Janice; my OH (we're not married, we live happily in sin ;)) recently had an interview for his own job after a take-over of the college he works at; partly due to his age (60 years old in August) he's doubtful his employment will be continued, and after just six years he'll not get much in redundancy pay, and, again due to his age, highly unlikely to get another job...

:) here's wishing good luck to both our men :thumbup:

5. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Aw thankyou and good luck.:thumbup:
    I just can't understand what bennefit there is to voluntay redancy.:confused:

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

A friend of mines dad took voluntary redundancy as he was due to retire within the year there was a very high chance that he would have kept his job and then some younger ones could have lost theirs so he decided to take it and give the younger ones a chance to keep theirs who had mortgages,young families etc.

7. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Sometimes the package on offer for voluntary is better :)

This was the case with my hubby just recently, so he took the voluntary package.

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Thankyou Westie thats what i was told yesterday.:D:D

9. Jowan

Jowan PetForums Member

If you need anymore info about redundancey then call Acas, sorry didnt write down the number but it is on the web site. Its a government funded union type site that gives you the options and your rights to all employment laws. When my OH was made redundant they were marvelous.

10. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Also I think (someone correct me if i am wrong) but if you get made redundant (compulsary) you mortgage protection/loan protection etc will kick but if you take voluntary it won't.

11. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice