UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little lady has been on Bakers Complete Puppy food (chicken not beef!) since the day we bought her home and we've never had any problems with it, but i've heard so many people saying that its not the best food and wondered exactly what is the best food to give her?

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I'm sure someone will be around with advise I'm not in the UK so no help for you there....Jill

·
Registered
419 Posts
ooo no not bakers, not a good food at tall in my opinion, i personally think the best food is royal canine, my dogs are great on it and i have heared so many good reveiws form people all over the world.

ROYAL CANINE :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
What's your budget?

There is a lot of good food out there. Arden grange, fish4dogs, Skinners, Orijen, Weinwrights to name a few.

All are varying prices and 100 times better than bakers.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Bakers is horrible stuff, that and pedigree foods. I personally don't believe in puppy food, a good quality complete food should give you a wide enough nutritional range for a pup or dog to gain what it needs, there is very little difference between the majority of puppy/junior/adult versions, in some cases it is exactly the same ingredients, just milled into smaller/different shapes and has (of course) a larger price tag. But, as long as it isn't full of additives, fillers and the protein levels aren't too high, it doesn't make particularly much difference I don't think so a puppy food is as good as an adult food, and vice a versa. I like Skinners, and it's one I'd look at using if I ever get round to breeding, to wean pups onto, although I'll just be soaking the adult version rather than bothering with puppy versions. Once you do choose a good quality food, change over slowly, do it over about 9/10 days, so 10% at a time, ie first day is 90% bakers, 10% new food, 9th day is 10% bakers and 90% new food, 10th day is new food. Hope that helps :)

Edited to add, I actually raw feed, but have looked into the ingredients of a lot of complete foods, as if I do go ahead and breed, some owners won't want to carry on with raw feeding.....

G

·
Bakers isn't a poor quality food, full of additives and colourings and "meat and animal derivatives" which are beaks, feathers, claws etc.

Burns mini bites is a good puppy food, I used it.

But there are others like Orijen, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved is ok aswell

xxx

·
Registered
334 Posts
ooo no not bakers, not a good food at tall in my opinion, i personally think the best food is royal canine, my dogs are great on it and i have heared so many good reveiws form people all over the world.

ROYAL CANINE :thumbup:
ROYAL CANIN for me to.....:thumbup:
I use the breed one, all my Guide Dog pups are on it.
And my own dogs to.....

G

·
There are so many food out there, every thread everyone says a different food!!!!! Its a never ending hole of food for thoughts!! xxx

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
There are so many food out there, every thread everyone says a different food!!!!! Its a never ending hole of food for thoughts!! xxx
This is so true,and what works for one,doesnt always work for others.It really is down to the individual dog and owner.
We are all happy to help you find another food,should you wish to change :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.