Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is the best food for kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Finleythecat12, Mar 31, 2014.

?

What food to feed your cat

Poll closed Apr 16, 2014.
  1. Whiskas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Felix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Almo nature

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Finleythecat12

Finleythecat12 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have a 7 month old kitten and I have been feeding him whiskas dry and whiskas and felix wet. Is that food bad, what is a higher quality food for him. He eats 2-3 pouches a day and about 40g of dry food. Please can you tell me a high quality food to feed him so he can be as healthy and live as long as possible:) thank you

2. Jango

Jango PetForums Junior

It's really worth your time spending a few hours reading through the threads on this forum first. That's what I did and found the answers to a lot of my questions that way,

3. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Hi Finley and welcome :)

I'm a bit short of time right this second, but didn't want to read and run :)

First off, please ditch the dry. Dry food is convenient for owners, but bad for cats as it dehydrates them. Cats are designed to get 90%+ of their water from their food, but dry food is only 10% water, and as they don't have a natural thirst drive most cants don't drink anywhere near enough to make up the difference. Any balanced wet food is better than the worst dry food, and Whiskas isn't a good dry food.

Secondly, Whiskas and Felix wet are not great foods, and are actually grain based, not meat based! :eek: Cat's can't digest grains, they are only in there to boost the profits for the manufacturers. So you are basically paying for large parts of the food your cat is only going to poo straight into the litter tray. The other side effect of the grain is it makes their poo stink!

Grain free foods can be tricky to find as most supermarket brands are grain based, even the expensive ones. However, Butchers Classic is available in many supermarkets these days, plus Pets At Home, and is actually cleaper than Whiskas and Felix. :)

If you are willing to order food online, then you have a lot of choice for much better foods than Whiskas and Felix, and often at a similar cost. You can get Smilla, Anomonda Carny (which has a kitten version), Bozita, Grau. CatzFineFood and several other grain free foods at zooplus.co.uk - some of these are quite expensive, but the first three are comparable in price to Whiskas and Felix per tin, plus you need to feed less of it as the nutrition is so much better. There is also The Happy Kitty Company - The Happy Kitty Company - which carries other great brands like MACs, OmNomNom and Granatapet.

Finally, there is the best option of all - raw feeding. This is the diet closest to what a cat would eat naturally, and therefore pretty much the best you can give them. You can make your own if you are willing to spend the time learning how to do it correctly, but there are also companies which make balanced frozen mince cat foods - I use Nutriment (Nutriment) and it goes down a storm!

Hope that helps!

~Jes :)

CoCoTrio likes this.
  4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I wouldn't feed a kitten on any of your options. Almo Nature isn't even a complete food and is very expensive. Have a read through the feeding stickies on the health and nutrition page - there is so much choice and so many better foods available

5. Finleythecat12

Finleythecat12 PetForums Newbie

Thank you everybody, I will be switching finley to bozita as soon as possible and not bother with dry anymore. Is there anymore high quality foods that I could feed him, I'm not bothered on the cost

6. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Hi Finlay,

All the complete brands mentioned in my previous post are frequently recommended on here - Butchers Classic, Smilla, Animonda Carny, Grau, CatzFineFood, MAC, GranataPet, OmNomNom, Nutriment. Some also suggest Feringa, but that one is very pricy!

Feeding a mixed rotation of foods is recommended, as that way if one food becomes unavailable, you're not stuck for what to feed. I also give my girls treat foods - these range from complementary tinned foods (foods which don't have everything in it a cat needs, so can't be fed all the time) such as Applaws to a raw chicken wing (never cooked! Raw bones are great for them, they clean their teeth :) ) or a slice of lamb heart. These kind of treat foods should make up no more than 20% of their weekly food rota, though. :)

Hope that helps! :)

~Jes :)

7. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

We have tried many, many different foods for the girls. Some have been huge hits (MACs, Animonda Carney and Catz Finefood) and some have been complete disasters where I have literally thrown the whole tin out (Ropocat and some Catz FF flavours).

My recommendation would be, if you can, to get a trial mixed pack with different flavours. Zooplus, I think, you can only order in packs of 6 which is a waste if they don't like them. With the Happy Kitty Company you can order single tins.

8. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Sorry I sent this before finishing!!

We now have Charlie, who is 4 months. He will eat what the girls do but I also have Natures Menu Kitten food down for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice