UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
My opinion, raw meat is best for cats. Many feed what's known as frankenprey, which is a diet mimicking whole prey.
Of course cats wouldn't eat beef, turkey, chicken etc. in the wild but it's still closer than tinned or dry foods.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
In my opinion raw is the best for cats, but I do feed a mixture of pouches and a prey diet.

Most of my friends go a little pale when I feed my cats day old dead chicks, mice, quail etc

The family have got used to it now though ;)

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
By far the best is a raw diet.
As an easy beginners option look at Natural Instinct food. I feed this as I don't have much spare time for making my own right now and it works out great. They eat less of it than they would tinned food too. As a guide, my chunky growing BSH boy eats 240gm per day.

·
Registered
299 Posts
By far the best is a raw diet.
As an easy beginners option look at Natural Instinct food. I feed this as I don't have much spare time for making my own right now and it works out great. They eat less of it than they would tinned food too. As a guide, my chunky growing BSH boy eats 240gm per day.
How heavy is he? Is it good estimate to say that if being fed on NI, food intake per day should be 2-3% of their body weight and 5% for kittens? I am getting my kitten on Monday and he will be between 2.5-3 kg and I estimated that I should feed him no more than 150g of raw food.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
While I agree that raw is best it only is the "best" food when it is properly balanced in terms of meat vs bone vs liver vs other organ meat. Otherwise, it is quite possibly one of the worst foods you can feed your cat.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
How heavy is he? Is it good estimate to say that if being fed on NI, food intake per day should be 2-3% of their body weight and 5% for kittens? I am getting my kitten on Monday and he will be between 2.5-3 kg and I estimated that I should feed him no more than 150g of raw food.
In terms of raw feeding, anything goes for kittens. Don't get hung up on feeding percentages with them (that is more or less something that has crept in from dog raw feeders).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I havent got a cat yet just doing research and getting ready hope for kitten but honestly at this at the moment is going by the way side what with so many rescues in my area responding to a ad I put up, going to take out some money and take a taxi to them and see whats what today paying for a nurse to come sit with grandparents for two hours, costing me enough for a long weekend this lol but want to do it right.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
He is 6kg, but thats not really relevant. 240gm per day is what he is happy with. if he seems hungry he gets more, but then he is still young so thats fine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Our 7 month old BSH is 4kg now, and powers through 250g a day of NI.

Cats are pretty good at regulating their intake, unlike dogs which will eat until the puke, then eat the puke.

G

·
Our 7 month old BSH is 4kg now, and powers through 250g a day of NI.

Cats are pretty good at regulating their intake, unlike dogs which will eat until the puke, then eat the puke.
I completely disagree. Two of my cats will, and have always, eaten and eaten. If allowed to self regulate they eat until bloated, panting, drooling and are sick.

You're feeding him more than twice the top recommended amount of food. Do you not think that's a bit too much?

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
I am getting my kitten on Monday and he will be between 2.5-3 kg and I estimated that I should feed him no more than 150g of raw food.
Young kittens should be fed all they can eat basically, and kittens often eat more than adults.
My adults on raw eat approx 200-250g per day over 3 meals, kittens get fed 5 times a day and will eat about the same amount.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I completely disagree. Two of my cats will, and have always, eaten and eaten. If allowed to self regulate they eat until bloated, panting, drooling and are sick.

You're feeding him more than twice the top recommended amount of food. Do you not think that's a bit too much?
But she has got a 7 month old kitten? :confused:

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Young kittens should be fed all they can eat basically, and kittens often eat more than adults.
My adults on raw eat approx 200-250g per day over 3 meals, kittens get fed 5 times a day and will eat about the same amount.
Blimey! Have you got bruisers? My two male cats are asking whether they can come and live with you!

But I do think that some cats are better at regulating their food intake than others. My girls are fine but both boys love their food and given half the chance one of them -at the very least - would be spherical....

·
Registered
784 Posts
See, I'd love to feed mine less raw but when I have, they just moan at me because they're hungry.
When I've fed DAF minces in the past I feed the same amount as tinned food (~200g a day per cat). NI minces have been slightly less than the 100g per meal, but then that puts my "one tin per day" out of sync (as I have one meal left) so I have a tin open all night. But then boy cat is still growing so I could just feed him a bit more. Greedy so and so!

·
Registered
158 Posts
But she has got a 7 month old kitten? :confused:
Yep, and the 5-6% of weight rule for kittens makes is pretty much spot on.
He gets 90g in the morning, 70g at 5pm, and 90g at bed time.
He's a healthy weight and not hungry, so the amounts must be fine.
Comparatively, he needs about 350g of Carny/Smilla per day to keep him from moaning about food.

We should be able to scale NI back to 200g when he is fully grown, as he is going to be well over 6kgs then.

Also, he is indoor only, so can't supplement his diet in the wild if he gets peckish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.