Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what is my tarantula??

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by matt_bowey, Nov 4, 2009.

1. matt_bowey

matt_bowey PetForums Newbie

:confused5:hi, can anyone tell me the species, gender and whether or not it will try to eat me. thanks. :confused5:

Attached Files:

2. waterlilyold

waterlilyold Banned

I don't know but she's a beauty :)

3. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

That's a Chile Rose.

#3 MissG, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  4. matt_bowey

care to elaborate on why?

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

theres no need to be like that, the member helped you, it was your comments that made them think you didnt know how to look after it.

6. Beowulf1976

Beowulf1976 PetForums Member

I'm sorry MissG but that was damn harsh judgement of someone you do not know.

Not all tarantulas are sold with their species name if it's an ignorant pet shop, or someone who has had it before and just doesn't know what it is. I wouldn't know that my spidey was a chile rose had it not been for my bf who knows loads about spideys.

Besides, there are many slings sold out there that get mixed up with others and end up being mis-sold or told as unknown species.

Matt Bowey:

The spidey is clearly healthy although I am wondering how big said spidey's set up is as Chile's are renowned for being active little buggers, mine is never in the same place.

Congratulations on owning a beautiful healthy specimen :)

7. matt_bowey

yes she did help and i appreciate that, i just do not appreciate judgement when she has no reason to assume poor care of the animal.

Biawhiska likes this.
  8. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I can understand that your angry about it but theres no need for insults. your 1st post was abit short. I'm glad you now know what type of spider you have now.

9. matt_bowey

beowulf, thanks for the advice, her house is about 1.5ft x1ft glass tank, she moves about but seems to freeze up when we are close or watching her.

we believe its a she:cool::

10. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

maybe she is shy/nervous to be held? have you ever held her?

11. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Can we keep this thread on topic and friendly ta.
    I cannot afford to buy everyone drinks lol.;)

12. matt_bowey

aye, point taken, i apologise for the insults and will be sure to be more detailed with queries in the future.:)

13. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

:) glad ya joined here, its a friendly forum, people will help when its needed, im sorry im not much help, I only have a bearded Dragon.

14. matt_bowey

dont think she has ever been handled tbh. would you advise getting here out?

15. matt_bowey

my gf has a bearded dragon also, well it's her x's, but he hasnt got anywhere to re-home it at the minute.

16. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i guess it would depend on the spider, if shes more wildish i wouldnt as she may get stressed. you could try just looking at her more often and see if she gets more relaxed

17. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

aw they are beautiful pets.

18. Beowulf1976

Beowulf1976 PetForums Member

You could try putting the hand of whoever is going to hold her in the housing to get her used to humans, be aware that she might flick hairs on you though, usually aiming for the eyes :S Always ensure that your face is never near her enclosure if you are trying to interact with her. Note that the flicked hairs will also embed into your skin and irritate you and sometimes they are so fine that you cannot see them.

Spend at least a couple of weeks with your hand in the container KEEP FACE AWAY, if she constantly runs away or flares up at you, you know it's going to be a no go.

You also have to decide what you would do if she suddenly ran up your arm, ask yourself honestly, would you flick to get her down, therefore throwing her across the room and killing her, or would you be able to remain calm no matter what?

If you know you would definitely freak then handling a tarantula, then obviously handling is out of the question.

If you believe in all honesty that if she ran up your arm you would be able to remain calm and cool then you might be able to handle her IF she lets you.

Never try and rush the process, she will let you know if she's had enough of your hand being in there. Move it out as soon as she flares, that is the pre-warning of what she is about to do. All tarantulas have the ability to flick their hairs, it's just that Chile Roses are damn well covered in them.

I called mine Charlie because I didn't know if she was a he or he was a she lol that way whichever he/she is, the name is cool :)

Let me know if you want any more help. I've never handled a tarantula myself, I'm still too nervous, but I have researched into it a great deal, hence being able to pass the information on to you :)

Hope this helps.

19. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Answer no no and no cant tell you anything only that its hairy and scarey:eek:

20. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i think you can sex them from thier under bodies (i have no idea what its called) although dont quote me and only on sexual mature spiders i think.

She looks fab, Im not overal keen on spiders i dont mind them and think i wouldnt mind having one if i didnt have to take it out lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice