Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is My shrimp doing and what gender are these guppies?!?!?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Brogan Birch, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Brogan Birch

Brogan Birch PetForums Newbie

(Sorry for the spelling mistake, Guppies) Hi! I would like to know what my shrimp are doing they just sit there and we'll do what i will show on a photo, They sit there for hours on end doing this. Also if you can I would like to know the gender of my guppies please!

Attached Files:

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Shrimp aren't always active. When they are feeding they will just sit. They may well be active at night. Mine tend to come out late evening and the rest of the time just rest.

You have at least two boy guppies. I don't know how many you have and some of the photos aren't very clear.

[​IMG]

mrs phas and Picklelily like this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Just to add it looks like your shrimp might be a bamboo/wood shrimp. These have fans of the front two "legs". They are pretty difficult to keep as they rely on a rich source of fine particulate food in the water column. Our efficient filters tend to remove this so slowly the shrimp starve to death unless they are target fed the correct food and the tank is mature with lots of plants. Hungry shrimp will resort to wandering about the tank floor trying to pick up edible particles. Unfortunately their fan appendages don't do this very effectively and they also damage them as a result making it even harder to catch food. I have never successfully kept them longer than 6 months. I hope you fair better than me.

Shrimp that appear similar but are much suited are amano shrimp Caridina multidentata.

https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-shrimp/bamboo-shrimp/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice