Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What Is It

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by LaurasPets, Nov 1, 2012.

1. LaurasPets

LaurasPets PetForums Junior

Ok so we have recently moved to a new house and the garden is full of rubbish and dog poops,we have only llived here 5 days and my Dad and brother have seen a rat in the twice in the last two days.....but it's not brown it's more of a beigey/light coffe colour ( thats how they explained it anyway) and my Dad said it was VERY cute. My Dad HATES rats he thinks they are disgusting creatures :)eek::mad: ) and for him to say that makes me think it may not be a wild/vermin rat. Also they have only seen 1 and I know rats live in large familys and it's not shy either it came right up to our back door. I don't want this rat to be killed by a trap/pest control,because I HATE that sort of thing and I also don't think it wild....Have you ever heard of a rat like this on it's own(?). What should I suugest my parents do about it...
    Thank You

2. kat04kt

kat04kt PetForums Member

It sounds very likely to be a domestic rat.

I'd get a friendly rat trap, i.e. one that does not kill. Once you've caught the rat you can look for available rescues.

Could be an idea to call a few up now to see if they have space.

Where abouts in the UK are you? I can give you some details of rescues close to you.

xx

3. kat04kt

kat04kt PetForums Member

Here's a link to a directory of rescues:

Links -

Furry Friends are very very good, they are in Surrey. Give them a call as they maybe able to help with transport. Just saw you're in Essex, they may have someone who can offer transport, perhaps half way. There's also the fancyratsforum and there's a lot of rescues on their and also just rat lovers, as there are here.

But if you can source a rescue spot then I'm sure they will be lots of people who will help you get Mr Rat to the rescue :)

xx

4. Maltey

Maltey PetForums VIP

There's also Essex Guinea Pig and Rodent rescue.
    If it's domesticated you might not even need a trap. A nice yummy treat might do the job!

5. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

i also think it sounds pretty domestic; poor wee rattie!
    a lady not too far from me recently found a dwarf hamster wandering around outside her house, so its not That much of a leap to assume this lone, non people-shy rat may have been a pet once...

6. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

I am in Harlow too! If you get it I might be able to foster/adopt the rat.

7. LaurasPets

LaurasPets PetForums Junior

Thank you all for your advice. I live in Essex Harlow to be exact and I'm not sure if any rat rescues but I will look around :)
    If it is just a common brown rat.....will it be put down:confused:
    I really hope it is a domestic rat, where will I be able to find a humane trap,that want harm him/her...

8. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

B&Q do a squirrel trap...that's what I had.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice