Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what is it like to show a cat

Discussion in 'Cats Shows and Events' started by aella851, Aug 4, 2009.

1. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

i was wondering how much it costs to show a cat? also what is the day like? Do you have to go reguarly or occasionally? sounds like a nice hobby to have??
    angela :)

2. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

It depends on whether you are showing under GCCF or TICA. I cannot answer for TICA but with GCCF you can in theory show your cat every two weeks but if you so wish you could just show him/her once or twice a year - basically as often or as little as you feel inclined! This is very approximate as costs vary from cat club to cat club but you looking at about £30 - £35 to enter your cat for say an Open Class + 3 Miscellaneous Classes. But don't forget you have to add your travelling and any food/drink to that unless you take your own. It is a long day and you have to be at the show hall basically no later than 9.30 and you may not leave until 4.30 - 5.00 p.m.

It is fun and you get to meet like minded folks!

3. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

You have to factor in the cost of show equipment too, for the GCCF thats white blanket/vet bed, white food and water bowls, white litter tray. For TICA and FB you can put what ever you like in the pens, but most people decorate the pens with drapes that show off their cat, or for TICA purchase and use a sturdi shelter.

It is a great hobby and its nice to spend the day with like minded people. Most in all registries are very friendly.

4. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

When my wife Sue first suggested showing cats i really didn't care for this idea but as she doesnt drive i was quite happy to take her to different venues so she could show the cats, i really thought this was going to be a boring miserable day lol, how wrong i was, its so addictive once you have been bitten by the show bug you want it more and more. You meet lots of breeders and exhibitors and learn so much at a show and theres usually a few good trade stands where you can always by cat related products toys food etc, my advice would be to go have a look at a show near you and get some idea of how things work. good luck..............CHRIS.

5. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Showing is great fun!

It can be costly but it's a hobby. It can be a long day, but there are usually things to do around or near the venue. Getting to meet lots of people who are as potty about their pets as you are is a big plus too :)

6. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

It can be a very, very long day!

I love seeing all the other cats & kittens. It's odd because with dogs you can see other dogs & puppies out and about on walks but with cats (purebred, at least) it is extremely unlikely you will meet or see them in person outside of a show.

It costs about £30 to show one cat (unless you have a large breed you may want to add £15 to double the pen size), £15 for show equipment & perhaps £20 for all the grooming equipment you will need (various combs, brushes & shampoos). This obviously excludes travel, lunch (as you will be there ALL day), show programmes, any bits & bobs you want to buy at the show & any other passes you need.

7. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

Although it can be a long and tiring day i think its a great day out, and if your cat/kitten is lucky enough to get an awardof any type you will be on a high for days i promise you lol. good luck..............Chris

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice