Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what is happening with my cat??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Rony, May 26, 2018.

1. Rony

Rony PetForums Newbie

Look at these pictures..she is not ok...she has infection all over her body...vet prescribed ivertin injection...
    should I go for the treatmen?why asking...cause searching the web ...
    anyone knows what is happening with my cat!!she gets tired licking!!

Attached Files:

#1 Rony, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. KoolK

KoolK ❤️ Snowy's Mommy ❤️

Hi,
    Awww... poor baby :-(
    I'm sorry to hear this she definitly needs to be seen by a vet who can diagnose the problem and issue some treatment for her.
    Bless... her skin is so red... please take her to the vet who can treat her and alleviate the discomfort and pain via treatment.

I hope she gets better soon!

Good Luck! :)

moggie14, Lurcherlad and Rony like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Is she creating the sores by licking constantly? If so that could be a sign of stress so look at ways of reducing that.

Environment, calming plug ins etc.

Consider allergies : fleas, cleaning products, washing powders, food, etc.

Has the vet diagnosed a cause? Consider skin scrapes, blood tests etc.

From what I can tell Ivertin is a parasite med so presumably the vet thinks it’s a possible cause?

Did she have the injection? I would give it ASAP as she is clearly in a sorry state (along with looking at the other things).

#3 Lurcherlad, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  4. Lottiecat

Lottiecat PetForums Member

Please let her have the treatment prescribed as she must be do uncomfortable.

Rony, Lurcherlad and KoolK like this.
  5. jasperthecat

jasperthecat My best buddies.

Let's put it this way...would you not want someone who was looking after you to seek treatment for you if you had the same issue?

Get the poor thing looked at immediately and if the vet suggests the treatment then follow their advice ...judging by how uncomfortable it looks, I wouldn't hesitate!.

AmsMam, Rony and KoolK like this.
  6. Rony

Rony PetForums Newbie

thank you so much for your kindly replay...I love my cat very much.and I don't want to give her more pain and stress by injecting,I found oral ivermectin and give her 1.25mg...
    I never leave her outside...she stays home always...whenever she left came back with injury by other cats...
    stress may be...but its the licking what speared this...hope the tablet works for her!

7. Rony

Rony PetForums Newbie

thank you
    thank you for the caring...I do care that's why I make this post...actually I give her oral ivermectin of 1.25mg...ijenction may bring her more stress and pain...

but I don't know how frequently I should continue the dose...
    vet said of 0.5cc for 2weeks...

hope my decision may work!!!

8. jasperthecat

jasperthecat My best buddies.

I hope my reply wasn't rude as it wasn't intended that way...I just hate to see animals suffering distress when there's possibly a solution. I'm also very pleased that you are taking an active role in helping her....well done and I hope it's a success.

Regarding the vet's prescription, have you looked at any accompanying literature that comes with the drug, that might enlighten you but if not or you're unsure, get back in touch with the vet. They should inform you of how it should be administered correctly.

While you're waiting for the drug to work, I'm also sure that there are informed people on here who will advise how you might make her more comfortable in the meantime or help you identify the possible cause if the prescribed drugs aren't the answer.

Of course, let's hope the prescription solves the issue and do let us know how she's getting on.

KoolK likes this.
  9. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Is your cat especially afraid of/uncomfortable with injections? If not then why not let her have the injection? It's quick and over in one whereas tablets she has to have constantly.

Rony likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Has your cat been diagnosed by the vet as having mange or scabies? Ivertin/Ivermectin is an anthelmintic drug used to treat the following conditions:

ivermectin systemic
    Brand names: Stromectol
    Drug class(es): anthelmintics

Ivermectin systemic is used in the treatment of:

Rony and KoolK like this.
  11. Rony

Rony PetForums Newbie

well...good new...my cat is recovering fast.I gave her antibiotics for skin infection 150mg for 2days and coconut oil for her skin.
    her skin roughness is quiet faint....
    look at her isn't she happy!

Attached Files:

12. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

yvery good news indeed! Such a change.
    But do you know the reason for the infection yet?

Rony and KoolK like this.
  13. Rony

Rony PetForums Newbie

actually I didn't go with my vets prescription.I was so worrying...I search almost every possibilities and choose the right one... I think she was in stress that give her allergy and fleas made infection...and by this she got more worried and more allergy came with more itching and more infection...but truly coconut oil is miracle. ..go for it...use it in infection..

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Rony -

While coconut oil does have some benefits for cats, either used topically or with food, it’s important to be aware it can sometimes result in an upset stomach or diarrhoea. Its use should be monitored carefully.

Also it is high in saturated fats so it is wise not to use it if a cat has pancreatic inflammation.

Coconut oil is also very high in calories, so you would need to cut back elsewhere in her diet if you start feeding it to her often, so as to avoid unwanted weight gain.

A better alternative to coconut oil for treating inflamed dry skin in cats is Omega fish oil, which is added to the cat's food. Either salmon oil or krill oil (but not cod liver oil). My cats prefer the taste of krill oil. I buy the capsules from Amazon. Snip open the capsule with a pair of small scissors (e,g, nail scissors) and squeeze the contents onto food and mix well. One 500 mg capsule on alternate days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krill-Oil-...2985&sr=8-3&keywords=krill+oil+capsules+500mg

The best quality salmon oil for cats is by Aniforte. It comes in capsules so it keeps better than a loose liquid. Snip the capsule open the same way as for krill capsules, and give a dose alternate days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AniForte-S...&sr=8-1&keywords=salmon+oil+capsules+for+cats

Which antibiotic did you give her? 2 days treatment doesn't sound long. Usually a course of antibiotics to treat a skin infection is at least 5 days. There is a risk if a course is not completed that the bacteria will develop resistance to antibiotics and become 'superbugs'.

#14 chillminx, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Rony, sandy-cat and KoolK like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice