Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is going on with my dog? *WORRIED!*

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PaulLiverpool69, Nov 7, 2012.

1. PaulLiverpool69

PaulLiverpool69 PetForums Newbie

Hello, my first dog is about 6 months old, a Jack Russell/Shih Tzu Cross. Last night we were in the park and he started coughing and exhaling really quickly through his nose. He was shivering violently on and off (not all the time), and rubbing his paws against his muzzle.

I immediately thought he was choking, and so did the same things I would do if a child was choking. Nothing came out, and I checked his mouth and there didn't seem to be anything there.

He seems, off and on, to be rubbing his tongue repeatedly against the top of his mouth, and again today while in the house, he started shivering for a few seconds, rubbing his paws against his muzzle etc.

I can't see anything in his mouth, could it be something to do with him teething? A tooth fell out a couple of weeks ago, and he's started chewing my wooden chairs... Don't want to take him to the vets and get charged a million pounds to be told it is perfectly normal.

By the way, he's not unusually quiet, whining etc, seems normal apart from when he's doing the really disturbing thing!

2. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

You could ring and speak to the vet's nurse first as that would be free, although I'd take him to the vet.

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

A vet would be your next move.
    Have you checked the roof of his mouth between his teeth, I remember a dog in one of my classes years ago who got a piece of wood lodged there. Or it may be something up his nose, but thats a job for a vet.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

It could be an upper respiratory infection - possibly kennel cough.

I would take him to your vet tomorrow but ring them first because if it is kennel cough, it's highly contagious.

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Was gonna suggest reverse sneezing but the shivering and keep rubbing at his muzzle doesn't fit with that. I'd give the vets a call personally. Could be some sort of illness or something has gone up his nose or stuck in his throat or something.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its possible that if he has been chewing wood there is a splinter stuck somewhere like the roof of his mouth in the pallet or the back of his throat its not beyod the realms of possibility although I would think that would likely be more constant or more frequent.

I also notice though that he is part Shi tzu, There is a condition in certain breeds and the shi tzu is one of them called elongated soft pallet. Its at the upper back part of the throat and is a flap, that stops things like food and water entering the airways, Exercise can bring it on which would make sense being out walking perhaps, but it can also cause problems with breathing when they eat drink or even just swallow. It can even happen when sleeping or relaxing.
    Coughing as well as breathing problems can happen, they can snort and wheeze too. So it does sound like the symptoms he is getting possibly, and as things can get into the nasal airways, that would follow too with the pawing of his muzzle as well perhaps. You cant see it by just looking at him, or trying to look into his mouth, usually they have to be anaesthetised as its at the upper back part of the throat. Its not life threatening as such, but it can cause panic and distress and fear which would also possibly explain the shaking. It is a hereditary/genetic condition, and if left it can progress and cause more problems. Considering the breed or part breed he is, and the symptoms it really does need checking out, even if its not this, there is something deffinately amiss and whatever it is its causing stress and discomfort. It often needs surgical correction if it is elogated soft palate.

#6 Sled dog hotel, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice