Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is F I P

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by catzz, May 11, 2010.

1. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Just had to take Rosie to the vet because she's been off her food and really lethargic for a couple of days. The vet did all the usual tests and it turns out she has a high temperature (39.5) (Is this particularly high? Vet said probably a bug or an infection and has treated symptomatically - anti inflammatory for the temperature and a course of antibiotics. He did say that in a minority of cases it could be down to FIP. i know I should have asked what that is but I didn't so I'm asking here... She's back at the vets on Friday for a recheck so hopefully she'll be ok by then.

By the by, I know vets try to sell their food but he did recommend Royal Canin and said all his cats are on it - I think he actually breeds cats so I assume he knows more than the average vet. I know there's the whole wet / dry thing but aside from that and the fact they do wet pouches, I know there's been some concern over RC. What is the issue with it? One thing I did notice is that they do really specific food - ie young female neutered. Is that just a con?

Sorry to waffle, I realise there are two questions here. I hope you can help.

2. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

3. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Thanks for your quick reply. I have a feeling it's probably not FIP and just a bug as she seems to have picked up a bit already. She jumped up on the table (not something she's done for a couple of days) and started eating grated cheese out of a bowl. Then I mixed some of the RC wet in with her felix - yep she's still a junk food addict - and she was eating it as it came out of the packet! She's eaten about 3/4 pouch altogether and a handful of RC dry. She'd only eaten about half a pouch a day for the last couple of days so hopefully she's on the mend. Could the anti - inflammatory jab have worked that quickly to bring her temp down and make her feel better? SHe only had it a couple of hours ago. She's still pretty lethargic but hopefully that'll improve. Not looking forward to ramming the pill down her throat tomorrow afternoon!

4. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Spooky! My cat has had the exact same symptoms through the whole weekend: Lethargic, off his food, was so weak by Saturday he wobbled on his feet (for the very short time he was on them, anyway. He was carried most of the day). Took him to the emergency vet on Sunday and got anti-inflammatory and antibiotic injections (plus gave us some pills to give him) as his temperature was just under 42 degrees! :eek:
    Thankfully that had gone down by the next day to just under 39 (went to our regular vets for a checkup). He's now much better, although still rather sleepy and very picky about food (very rare for him!)

39 degrees is a little high, but hopefully the inflammatory has brought that down (the normal cat temp is 38C I believe).

FIP, like shutterspeed has said, is fatal and cannot be cured. Have you any other cats? I believe FIP is common in places where large groups of cats are kept together due to the contagious nature of the virus. Do get a second opinion though, and if your cat is an only or indoor cat the chance of getting FIP is very slim (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I personally wouldn't touch Royal Canin foods. From what I've seen of their ingredients (of both wet and dry) they contain far too much cereals (looking at a handful of dry foods Maize is found either first or second on the list and the best "meat" is Dehydrated Poultry meat - eep!). The wet foods aren't much better; the quality seems similar to Whiskas: Animal derivatives, cereals, derivatives of vegetable orgin, etc. I have a friend that feeds his cats some of their dry food and the kibble really does give off a really strong unpleasant whiff!

As for the specific foods, I have no idea about them. They are most likely a con, because the ingredients do look awfully similar.

Best of luck with your cat and hope she gets better soon! :D

EDIT: Yep, the anti-inflammatory jab work REALLY quick! There was a noticeable difference in Locke when we got home from the vet on Sunday - he was far more alert, wanted to move about and even gulped down some food! :D

#4 Vampyria, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  5. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Back to the drawing board re food then - she does seem to quite like Natures Menu so we'll work on that when she's feeling better.

She's an only cat and although she does go out she doesn't have much contact with other cats. She only goes in the garden and although the neighbours cats are round and about they tend to stare at each other more than anything else. All the neighboours cats seem fine so hopefully it's just a bug. Vet didn't actually say he thought it was FIP, just that that was one thing that could cause a high temp so I'm not unduly alaarmed yet, especially as her appetite seems to be picking up. He's more than happy to test for it if she's not better by Friday so hopefully all will be well.

6. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

It could definitely just be a bug :) From what my vet said the list of possible causes for having a high temperature is as long as your arm! It really could be anything. She mentioned pneumonia, or even a bug that one of the household has picked up from outside (Locke is an only indoor cat).

Nature's Menu is good quality stuff! It can sometimes cause smelly poos in some cats so watch out for that :p HiLife is similar in quality (ranging from 45% to 60% meat depending on the range), so that might be a good backup to try also.

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

My two boys were the same over the bank holiday weekend - off their food, slow and high fever - same as you, a trip to the vets of a magic jab and pills. They are now as good as new!

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

If you are looking for cat food, then here are some options of high meat wet foods:

Bozita - 93% meat content in their tetrapacks and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus. Bozita also do a tinned version, which is a pate but 97% meat
    - Purely, as Dally Banjo has pointed out, has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home.
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places.
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type.
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Luxury

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen - 90% meat content - available from them directly: Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat - available from them directly: Lily's Kitchen • Organic Dog Food, Organic Cat Food • Natural Complete Pet Food • Certified Holistic, Ethically produced • Natural dog food, Grain free cat food.
    -Grau - 89% meat content - available from zooplus
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day
    - Ziwi Peak - new to the UK market - available from the bern per food website - based on the raw feeding principle: http://www.bernpetfoods.co.uk/acatal...t_Cuisine.html

purrlover likes this.
  9. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Thanks Hobbs. Been trying all sorts with her and Nature's Menu is the one I've had most success with so far so I'll attempt to do a proper transfer over from felix once she's properly better. At the moment, Felix is the only thing she'll reliably eat and at the moment I just want to make sure she is actually eating. The vet did tell me how to do it properly - same advice as on here, except he wants her on RC - and also said, only slightly tongue in cheek, you have to be careful with changing their food too quickly because as well as upsetting their tummies they can also get suspicious and think you're trying to poison them and then stop eating altogether! She's had so little the last two or three days, I don't want that to happen.
    having said that, I did try her on a bit of RC wet which she seemed to like
    Argghhhh cats!! why do they have to be so picky???????????????

10. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I had a cat die from this, and it was much more than just not eating and very unpleasant :(

Hope your cat is ok x

11. Nickyglow

Nickyglow PetForums Senior

Hiya

Just read this post, I lost two kittens a couple of months ago due to FIP, they where both housecats and I had no idea what FIP was at the time. It is pretty rare and my vet hospital said it was their first case in years when I initially brought Tigsy to them.

Hopefully it is just a bug and by the sounds of it your baby is picking up as I type so it sounds good. Your vet seems good that they are looking out for it as my normal vet didn't even know what FIP was when I first took my kitten in.

If yo would like any further info on FIP I have a very long thread on the forum about what happened.

12. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Hiya

Agree with hobbs on the food part, and it would be great if you can switch him over to a better food than felix when he is better. In the meantime though its more important he eats something than nothing, so if it must be felix then go ahead!

Your vet was good for making an early suggestion as to FIP, often they leave it until the last minute and it comes as a MASSIVE shock to people, however i think your right and your boy is just a bit unwell rather than ill with a fatal disease.

To the person who said FIP is common in multicat households, its most definatly not.

FIP is a mutation of the feline coronavirus. Almost all cats will be exposed to coronavirus at some point in their lives, although your right, it seems to be more endemic (in the environment) in households with multiple cats. coronavirus doesnt usually cause any real problems or significant illnesses but in a very very few cases it can mutate into FIP. Nobody knows why it occasionally mutates, and just because one cat has mutated it doesnt mean that other exposed cats in the household will.

Hope that clarifies a few points, and i wish you all the best of luck with your cats junk food habit and wish him a speedy recovery too x

13. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

How is your little one doing today?

14. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

She seems a bit better today thanks. She's seems a lot brighter and more alert. She's still not eating much and did throw up the cat chew stick treat almost as soon as she ate it. I think that's a one off though, It was virtually unchewed when it came up so maybe she just swallowed it too fast?

15. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Well she was back at the vet today and has to have x rays tomorrow as her chest is not sounding too good :( He wants to check for FIP but said that as she seems to be responding to the antibiotics it probably, hopefully isn't. I really really hope it isn't :(
    Her temperature has dropped at bit and she is brighter and more alert. The vet said FIP cats don't respond to treatment so the fact that she has picked up is a good sign.

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed that she will continue to respond to the meds and get better soon!

17. Sarnajes

Sarnajes PetForums Member

I too have lost a kitten to FIP and know how awful it is.

It seems unlikey that your cat has FIP if she is responding to the antibiotics. High temperature is just one symptom of many. My Daisy developed problems with her eyes and kidneys and despite interferon injections we couldn't save her.

FIP is a very misunderstood disease. It most commonly occurs in multi cat households and is caused by a coronavirus which most cats carry. Very rarely the coronavirus mutates and becomes FIP. Cats can catch the coronavirus from one another (usually from faeces in the litter tray) but more often than not shed it for a few months then eliminate it from their bodies. A cat can catch the coronavirus but not FIP from other cats.

Your vet is sensible to check for FIP. I do hope that it isn't the cause of her symptoms and she makes a full recovery.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice