Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is ear sniffing about?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Mylo sometimes irritates Mia as he sniffs her ears a lot. I check her ears and there doesn't seem to be any problems there. He does it to us too. He sniffs human ears thoroughly then gently nibbles your ear lobe.

2. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Fitz and Wybie are both like this, they love ears (human or canine) and eyes (again human or canine!!).

It's a fairly standard greeting in this house to get your ears nibbled by a whippet :lol:

I've no idea why though and neither Arnie or Lyssa are even vaguely interested in ears/eyes.

3. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

Apple is always doing it to Lolas, no idea why tho lol

4. IrishEyes

IrishEyes PetForums VIP

Horace is always licking and sniffing OH's ears but doesn't give mine any attention what so ever but that is alright with me because that would be a hard limit for me.. eurgh!

5. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Pretty sure they have important scent glands around ears and mouth just like the rear end, lol.

No idea if the same is true of humans :D

6. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Earwax is like nectar to dogs and cats - maybe it contains something vital -(e.g. lots of vitamin Z, essential for the maintenance of killer f@rtz).

Our lot not only lick our and each other's ears, but if they get the chance will steal waxy cotton buds from the bathroom bin.

7. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

:eek: Have you never heard the expression 'never put anything in your ear that is smaller than your elbow' ?

8. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Tiny elbows, huge ears - my cotton buds are about the size of those things they used to bash each other with on 'Gladiators' hahahaha:D

9. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

My brother ended up in A&E coz of cotton buds, i never use them

10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I call it whispering. Pen's been doing it all afternoon to Flynn, he's been grumbling at her.. I think it's appeasement too. :p

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Rudi is obsessed with ears and will nibble mine or spend ages sniffing Kilo's!

12. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

When I originally posted they were 'spooning' on the floor and Mylo had a paw across Mia's neck and his head over hers nuzzling and sniffing her ears. It was very sweet. I was watching wincing because I knew she would love it for a little while then, like lightening, would have his head in her mouth when she had had enough. Sure enough a couple of minutes later they were still 'spooning' but having a massive head fight. Even that looked really sweet as Mylo still had his forearm across her shoulders. It was like a raunchy love scene in the movies :D:D:D:D

13. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

OH's parents have a female lab and a male spangle. The spangle will lie for HOURS licking the Labs ears- YAK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice