UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I am in a panic thinking my kittens are fat :crying::crying::crying: as they have a big of sag at the bottom (?). I feed them 400g of food per day and leave dry food for them? Is this too much - should I get rid of the dry food. What is the correct weight for my 8 month babies :-(.

I dont want to make them ill and unhealthy crying:

Thank you x

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
lol, i remember rushing to the vets with a 8 week old kitten whos belly almost touched the floor, i was worried but the vet said he would grow into his fat.
aslong as they are wormed correctly all is fine x:)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Have they been dewormed? and the weight depends on their breed and if they been neutered/spayed or not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for replying

catcoonz - I feel like one of those parents who gets upset if someone calls her baby fat :mad:

Merenwenrago - I have been using Advocate but will worm them aswell. They are netuered and are tabby BSH - does this make a difference?

:)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Thank you for replying

catcoonz - I feel like one of those parents who gets upset if someone calls her baby fat :mad:

Merenwenrago - I have been using Advocate but will worm them aswell. They are netuered and are tabby BSH - does this make a difference?

:)
Neutered cats tend to get fat easier so you shouldn't feed them as much as an unneutered one.

Think my cats were between 1 and 2 kg's at 8 months

Edit: I meant 2 - 3 kg's was thinking of 16 weeks for my moggies

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Neutered cats tend to get fat easier so you shouldn't feed them as much as an unneutered one.

Think my cats were between 1 and 2 kg's at 8 months
My kittens are nearly 2 kgs and are 13 weeks!!! At 8 months I would expect them to weigh at least 3kgs if not more.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Amber and lynx are quite small so was going by their weight they are only over 3 kgs the last time I checked

you must have a heavy breed if they are nearly 2 kg's at 13 weeks :D

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Amber and lynx are quite small so was going by their weight they are only over 3 kgs the last time I checked
Well the OPs cats are BSH which are a very large and chunky cat - full grown they should be at least 5kg and boys can be up to 8-10 kg so I think maybe they need to consider that, judging them against your cats is only going to worry them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the OPs cats are BSH which are a very large and chunky cat - full grown they should be at least 5kg and boys can be up to 8-10 kg so I think maybe they need to consider that, judging them against your cats is only going to worry them.
Thanks what a relief! When they were 5 months they weighed 3.4kg so thank you cos I am getting freaked thinking I am over feeding them :). I just want to get it right x

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
YOur choice really - but I would only get rid of the dry food cos I don't like dry food - they are 8 month old kittens from a big slow growing breed and they need their food. If you get rid of the dry offer them more wet. The pouch underneath is meant to be there it's a primordial pouch. Without it your cat would be too thin.

I would feed them about 3 times a day.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have two male dsh one ginger tabby the other ginger and white and at 12 weeks one was 2kg and the other was 1.9kg, I was told by my vet that this is perfectly healthy and my kittens are going to grow into big stocky cats :) I leave water down all day feed them 2 tins of kitten food 3 times a day 1 tin in the morn half for lunch half for dinner I leave their biscuits down all day and give them treats if they fancy them. I was always worried about over feeding my cats but apparently they are eating the correct amount :)

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
You're right you can. Vets are always going on about BSH being overweight, but the fact is that they are tabletop cats with a leg at each corner. That's the way they're supposed to be! The way to tell if your cat is too fat is to feel the spine line and the ribs. If you can feel both, then they aren't horrendously overweight.

I have a friend who's forever calling my very showy Persian girl fat because she's a typical Persian, square. However, cuddle her and you can still feel her ribs and spine beautifully. Go with your gut. You should never restrict a growing kitten's food as it will do more harm than good. The pouch is a primordial one and is meant to be there. It's not really indicative that they're overweight at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.