Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is a professional breeder?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tanya1989, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

No arguments please :D :D

What do YOU consider a professional breeder? No body is right or wrong so there is no need to argue over it.

I've read on some threads that the "professional" breeders are the ones who show/ work etc and fully health test. What is your opinion. Are these professional breeders, if not why not? And what do you think a professional breeder is?

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

does it for a living ie profession = professional.

no other definition possible under those parameters.

3. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Does it because they have a love for the dogs they own/work with, not just for the money they may make at the end of it all and therefore cut any corners they possibly can.

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

the key is the word professional.

look it up, no other possible definition apart from doing it for a living.

ignore if they do all the checks
    if they love their dogs etc doesnt count.

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Thats what I considered... eg puppy farming, or those within a breed who have many breeding bitches, but are breeding quality healthy, successful dogs but need a license. The second are actually few and far between.

I consider a professional breeder to be a puppy farmer (in most cases), which in itself seems a contradiction in terms as normally to be a professional at something is a compliment or highly sought after title?

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

yep, just because your a pro it dont make you good or ethical at whatever you do.

just watch cowboy builders, they are all pro's

7. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

To me a professional breeder is someone who does health test but, breeds to make money out of it, whose dogs are a commodity not pets first and foremost.

Yes we breed, yes we health test but I would only say we are 'hobby' breeders as we only breed when we want a pup to carry on the line :)

leoti likes this.
  8. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Honestly, it's not a term I've ever heard of apart from on this forum.

There are many kind of breeders but none I'd refer to as 'professional', nor is it a term I recognise, but I guess if pushed, it would have to be someone that made a living out of breeding. This would encompass several kinds of breeders, including puppy farmers, byb and commercial breeders who breed for a living, but may or may not health test. I wouldn't include those who show and work and breed a few litters a year though, even if their life is dogs. Perhaps not so common in showing, but there are a number of working kennels that do make a living out of their dogs, however, breeding is a by product of that rather than a main source of income. It may supplement the income in some way, but the bulk of their income will probably come from training, and I wouldn't really refer to those as professional breeders either.

#8 rocco33, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I'd only heard it on here too. It just made me think when I read a comment ages ago on here somewhere that someone made when discussing health tests... went on the lines of "we can't all be professional breeders like you" when trying to make an argument why not to health test his mixed breed bitch before breeding her.

10. HeyMeow

HeyMeow PetForums Junior

One that doesn't exist? :p

To be serious, I thought both of my dogs breeders were serious but I was wrong. It turned out that money mattered more than the dogs.

Labrador:
    At first I had a lot of chemistry with the breeder and everything seemed to be fine, but as soon as my dog turned out to have allergy, she became kinda hostile and stopped answering my mails. Perhaps, she didn't want me to know that she kept breeding on the lineage that caused allergy..

Cairn:
    Same story, great at first, but as soon as I decide I didn't want to go into shows with my Cairn, (he was nervous and hated dog shows) They turned hostile, and when I run into them at a dog show, they pretended they didn't recognize me..

So right now, I am thinking money matters more than the welfare of the breed for most breeders. But please prove me wrong.

11. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

The term professional breeder to me means someone that makes a living out of breeding, so under that umbrella I would place puppy farmers,

Mo

12. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

It has to be someone who makes a living out it - and also a term I've only really come across around the forums.

There are what I would term PF and commercial breeders - the commercial breeders generally tend to do most / all of the available health tests and produce decent pups.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice