UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the really dumb question :eek:
I keep seeing lurchers advertised and they are things like: Father saluki whippet collie bull, Mother collie bull whippet and various combinations of those :crazy: So what exactly is a lurcher? Is it basically a pointy nose made up of different breeds? I'm really sorry if this sounds stupid but I've been seeing the advertisements and getting puzzled for a while now :blink:

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Any sighthound cross any other breeed. Often used for lurcher x lurchers and sighthound x sighthound, though I believe technically the latter are known as a longdog- though personally I just use the term lurcher.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
A running dog bred from parents that will make puppies suitable for their intended purpose
If you wanted a dog for rabbits a Whippet x Bedlington would be a good choice
If you wanted a dog for fox then something bigger like Greyhound or Deerhound crossed with something like a Collie would be nice

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
It's a cross bred sight hound. Some people have preferences as to what goes in the mix, hancocks lurchers are (I believe) greyhound x bc, I've chatted to other folk who've developed their lines which include breeds like bearded collies. There's a lot of concern amongst some lurcher afficionado's that bull breeds seem to be fashionable to put in the mix these days, I don't like the look of them, and I don't like the reason why some of them do it either.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
It's a cross bred sight hound. Some people have preferences as to what goes in the mix, hancocks lurchers are (I believe) greyhound x bc, I've chatted to other folk who've developed their lines which include breeds like bearded collies. There's a lot of concern amongst some lurcher afficionado's that bull breeds seem to be fashionable to put in the mix these days, I don't like the look of them, and I don't like the reason why some of them do it either.
That was quite a rarity when I had lurchers, seems to be the norm now

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Idiots are knocking them out all over the place :( very common now is whippet x SBT. Poor buggers still get labelled 'staffie cross' a lot of the time in rescues. Can't escape that distinctive head. I think they're nice dogs, the ones I've met have been good looking- but a fast and strong dog is a danger in the hands of an idiot. Mind you, any dog is a danger and in danger in the hands of an idiot.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
It is, because unfortunately, like bull breeds, lurchers with bull breed in the mix seem to attract some of the less desirable people you'd like to see owning them.
Obviously I am a less desirable person :cryin: :cryin:

I've never met an unpleasant Lucher owner. I have however, met plently of tw*ts with labradors ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.