Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What is a balanced diet

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tinktinktinkerbell, Aug 22, 2013.

1. tinktinktinkerbell

To you?

I keep hearing the words balanced diet but no one explains what a balanced die is to them

And I'm not just talking about the generic eat 4-5 fruit and veg a day, surely there's more to it than that

So give me your one day balanced diet, listing everything you eat in quantities

2. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

To me a balanced diet covers all the food groups and essential nutrients needed to keep a body healthy and active. It varies depending on gender, height, weight, activity levels and age but as a rule keeping it varied with lots of fruit and veg, a minimal amount of processed food and plenty of calcium and iron.

I can give you a list of what I ate yesterday but I don't work in quantities - I don't weigh food but I do eat fairly small portions and I stop eating when I am no longer hungry.

#2 Aurelie, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

A packet of crisps in both hands.:D

4. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Lol :D

Balanced is basically a mixture of carbs, protein, fats, vitamins etc.

An easy example if I cook a lasagne would either have it on its own or with a simple salad. Someone I know would serve it with either a load of chips or a big baked potato as well as garlic bread - pasta, potatoes, bread are all carbs so too many carbs.

If you had say a chicken salad with no carbs and wanted a pudding you would be ok having say fruit crumble, apple pie whatever as the carbs in that are balanced by the salad. If you had a big roast dinner with roast potatoes, yorkshires etc you would be better balancing that with fruit salad or a low fat yoghurt

5. Prowl

Prowl Guest

tome food is about enjoyment and haveing reasonable portions and variety in your meals.

It should not be about lots of ££££ from vulnrable and insecure people.

6. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

a balanced diet is the same for everyone. just some people choose not to have a balanced diet and others do.
    [​IMG]

7. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

You have to remember a balanced diet isn't just a single day affair, though, it's also a balance over time. So, for example, I usually have cereal for breakfast, but on Saturday I might treat myself and have a cooked brekkie, as once a week isn't going to cause huge problems (in reality it's a lot less often than once a week these days!) as long as the overall balance is decent.

Have you had a look at the principles behind schemes like Slimming World or Weight Watchers? I've never used them but have a wheelchair using friend who has done both over time and lost several stone :) Even if you don't join the clubs, you might be able to get hold of the handbooks from people who don't want them any more, or if you know someone who does either of them they could get a second copy for you - my friend has done that for other people, a lot cheaper than being a member! :)

~Jes :)

8. reallyshouldnotwearjods

reallyshouldnotwearjods PetForums VIP

glass of wine in each hand - one red and one white x

9. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

"The Wheel of Good Health" is what we were taught at school :D
    (CRL's picture)

10. loukodi

loukodi PetForums Senior

Where you can stand on one leg, have a bottle of wine in one hand and bar of chocolate in the other and not fall flat on your face :D

11. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

A balanced diet is where you balance yourself by placing at least one hand very firmly on the kitchen counter whilst weighing yourself. :D

12. porps

porps Swollen Member

balanced diet means ordering bar snacks when you get a round in.

13. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I love the answers on here. There were bound to be hilarious replies.:D:D
    I guess I don't eat sensibly all the time. I love chocolate, crisps, biscuits & other things I class as naughty, but at my age who cares. I am only over weight, not obese & I do love chocolate.:D

14. reallyshouldnotwearjods

reallyshouldnotwearjods PetForums VIP

15. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I don't really fuss about what I should and shouldn't eat. I know the foods to avoid, the foods to eat in moderation and the foods to eat freely.

I like to think I'm sensible but if I fancy something sweet and sticky then so be it - a little of what you fancy does you good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice