Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What helps you?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Purplecatlover, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

When/if you feel low or anxious what helps you?

I really need all the help I can get at the moment - any quotes, mantras, experiences etc - anything.

Thankyou as always

huckybuck likes this.
  2. KCTT

KCTT PetForums VIP

Running or other exercise if running isn't for you.

I was once told stress and anxiety is a natural fight or flight response. By running or exercising you take the flight option which helps to ease the feeling. Other things are magnesium supplements and vitamin b complex if not already using. Hope you find what works for you x

3. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Just posted on your other thread lovely xx

4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Going for a walk in the countryside taking photograph's of tree's and wildlife. Very peaceful and gives me time to clear my head.

Of course, cat cuddles is the number one thing. xx

ewelsh and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Getting outside for a walk with Jack or pottering in my garden.

Have you thought of volunteering at a cattery or rescue kennels? Getting out to meet other like minded people and cuddling cats or walking the dogs might be uplifting?

Feeling isolated is not helpful :(

ewelsh likes this.
  6. Franlow

Franlow Guest

My Mum always used to say, you are never given in this life more than you can deal with, you are stronger than you think.

7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I am sorry your are feeling this way my love. X

I have my faith also my garden & pets. I really believe gardening is so nurturing very peaceful. Pets make you laugh all day long and ask for very little in return.

From a little one my mother has quoted this to me!

IMG_3776.JPG

huckybuck and Char8607 like this.
  8. Char8607

Char8607 Mum to Storm (b. 2010) and Luna (b.2017)

I'm so sorry you're feeling like this @Faye1995

As others have said if I'm feeling low I might go for a walk or even just sit in the garden if possible and watch the birds. Do you like baking? Or anything crafty? I love craft stuff or even something simple like colouring; it's distracts the mind and makes your body physically do something else all which help slow your breathing and give your brain something else to concentrate on.

There's a poem I love called Welcome to Holland it's actually quoted or used a lot by parents of children with additional needs, we use it at work to try and explain some of the emotions around adoption. But for me it just reminds me, very much like @ewelsh put above; things may not be the way you planned or even like but you're strong enough to take things on and be happy even of your happy isn't what you envisaged.

We are all here for you xx

huckybuck and Matrod like this.
  9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Faye if you are feeling really low and anxious you need to have a chat with your GP.
    Some people do benefit from anti depressants but GPS are supposed to offer 'talking therapies' first nowadays so you might be referred for counselling.
    I prefer herbal remedies for most things so have in the past taken Valerian for anxiety or St Johns Wort for low mood. Do discuss with GP first though.
    Xx

#9 Paddypaws, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Ringypie, Matrod and chillminx like this.
  10. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Time in the garden, just pottering, a long cuddle with little cat, a 'good' cry, being somewhere no-one will hear or care and screaming.

It can take a few days for the despair to subside, so I tell myself it won't last more than a little while, and spend a lot of time resting, at the time it feels like nothing will ever get better, but it does pass, and one day you will wake up and find that you are human again but may not even realise it happened.

Tell yourself it is not for ever and take some 'me' time. Music can help too.

11. Michebe

Michebe PetForums Member

I cant do many crafts anymore but i do find brushing Maggi relaxing when she is in the mood for a nice long brush, today she was bird watching so not interested so was a quick brush other than that i find the kids waffling nonsence sometimes help or sometimes drives me mad, and playing computer games helps as it keeps my hand and mind busy so stops thoughts from racing and me biting fingers.

12. Purplecatlover

Thankyou everyone. I managed to go out for a couple of hours with my mum and aunty but Ive come home early. I can't pretend to be happy and I don't want to ruin my aunties birthday, so I'm going to go home and just try and sleep. I will try some of the things you suggested. Cxx

huckybuck and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Routine helps me. I know it might sound silly but having things that I am obligated to do at certain times keeps me moving forward, otherwise I can just find myself stagnating or falling into bad habits. I also had a fair bit of CBT, which helped me recognise my trigger points and bad habits. It's not perfect, but these days I feel relatively normal about 75% of the time, which is way better that 8-9 years ago when I was a total mess.

Purplecatlover likes this.
  14. Purplecatlover

I've got home & laid on the bed and jasper has come and snuggled so far in with his nose touching mine & his paws on my cheek. My love for this little guy is indescribable, honestly

huckybuck and Char8607 like this.
  15. SimplyRosy

SimplyRosy PetForums Junior

When I'm feeling low sometimes a good bit of escapism really helps i love to read so a good novel is my drug of choice but film tv can be good too getting lost in another world can be a welcome break. Also make a list of things that I'm stressing over and put it in two categories things that I can do sometimes about and things that I can't. Then try and focus on the things that I can change and move forward with which feels more impowered. If you are feeling really low or have been feeling this way for a while it might be worth taking to someone about it. Depression is very common but lots of people don't seek out the help. Hope you feel better have lots of cat cuddles

16. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

do you keep a diary Faye? I have done this for years and years, the one I have at the moment is a five year one that my son got me for Christmas, only room for a couple of lines for each entry and I have faithfully written in it every night before I go to sleep so far, in five years time I will be reading it back and thinking you spent how much on cat food!

However in the past I have found it quite therapeutic to put down in a few (or a lot of) words how I was feeling, and then have gone back later to re-read and remembered what I did to pick myself up again when I was feeling low, how worried I was that my son would be scared when he transferred to High School when he was 11 (He will be 33 this month!), how depressed I was at times when I was trying to look after me and two small children all by myself and hold down a job, how proud I was sitting in the audience watching my youngest son getting his degree! and how we brought six week old Katie home in a cardboard box on the train and how the old lady sitting next to us nearly jumped out of her skin when Katie suddenly did a very loud meow! How devastated we all were when she died 14 years later (Katie, not the old lady!)

I feel that writing things down helps you to put into some kind of order in your mind, stops you from getting too overwhelmed and I think you have to give yourself credit for small achievements, you might have come home a bit early but you did go out for a good couple of hours, now you have earned yourself a snuggle with Jasper to give yourself time to gather your thoughts!

17. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

Taking a walk could help. Despite the fact that I am more of a dog person I can't deny the fact that cats are very relaxing. Simply letting Jasper fall asleep on your lap could help you to relax and gather your thoughts.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  18. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

I understand... I have suffered with anxiety and low mood in the past. Some things that have helped me in the past:
    5 good things. Every day try to write down 5 things that make you smile - however tiny, for example Jaspers gorgeous little jellybean paws... When the low mood hits hold onto those things, perhaps keep a diary of things that make you smile. Look at it when you feel that cold emptiness and remember there are still reasons to smile.
    Treat yourself - give yourself something nice to look forward to. Doesn't need to be big or expensive - for me a soak in the bath with a new library book. Or a cup of tea and a galaxy ripple. Perhaps a day out with a good friend.
    For me peace and quiet and being alone was not good - I tend to overthink and worry about things and go over hurtful situations from the past.
    CBT was a real help - it trained me to try and cap the toxic thoughts and rationalise my anxiety. If your doctor doesn't offer this, this website is helpful https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome
    Talking is good - we are all here for you.
    I don't know what has caused your current situation but remember nothing is permanent, things may be rubbish now, that doesn't mean that it will be rubbish forever. 8 years ago I was working in a stressful job, living in a horrid flat, in an abusive relationship surviving mostly on toast as all my money went on keeping Ringo (if I had lost him I would have lost my reason to keep going). I am now happily married to a lovely man, enjoy my new job etc.
    If you don't make a change things will not change... but by taking tiny baby steps you can get to a happier future. This may mean making some tough choices on the way but you will only become stronger.
    Above all you are beautiful and brave. Not everyone will understand how brave you are to admit you are struggling but by admitting it you have taken the first step to getting better.
    Gosh that turned into a bit of an essay! Want one of my ripples and a cuppa if you managed to get to the end?!

huckybuck, Lurcherlad and Paddypaws like this.
  19. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I believe in exercise and talking

Sometimes you need a sleep to switch off everything and stop it all. Try not to let it be all sleep as you will feel less energised after.

X

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

There is quite a nice book by Jonathan Heinrich which has quite a few coping strategies in it. I like the affirmation apps, you could download a few of them to your phone. If you listen to podcasts, Hay House World Summit, The bright Side, and I think there is one just called the Happiness podcast. I think you spend a lot of time at home alone with Jasper don't you? Sometimes you can feel less alone and anxious if you can listen to things like that.

In terms of general mindset, listing 3 things you are grateful for before getting out of bed is a great way to start. Do you do yoga? I find that helpful and you can do it at home using youtube or online programs. Walking is good and free. Just getting fresh air can do wonders.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice