Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What have you done for your indoor or older cat, that has most improved their quality of life?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by blkcat, Jun 30, 2018.

1. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

I am so envious of your AC! 95% of the time in the UK it's not needed. But the last week or so I would have loved some. We have a ceiling fan but it makes the air so dry.

17 and 20 are fantastic ages. I hope we can do so well :) someone else mentioned this to me. I think I'd like to give a way to make the bedroom window more accessible. He has gone some steps in the living room for the sofa. I'm moremore he needs them yet, but there were a great price and really nice. So I picked them up for when that time comes. He died seem to like them a lot.

I have wondered how easy I should make it for him. I not sure if it would be good to stop him jumping altogether.

All his presents have been ordered now :) now comes the part where I refresh tracking pages until the end of the week :Cat

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I tried doing that for my old boy but he only avoided the stools I put in place for him:(

3. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Member

yes, I had that problem too in the beginning, i secured a bit of carpet to make any landing surface non-slip and gradually encouraged them up each step with treats, i did learn though to leave a bit of space between each landing surface, going up was ok but they struggled a bit coming down if they were too close, i also put a non-slip ramp in place but only one ever used it.

4. Puddy2shoes

yes 11 is young and no doubt he'll be partying til the wee hours of the morning when all those wonderful new toys arrive and i can detect a huge amount of exitement and anticipation from you waiting for them to come, it's lovely.

blkcat and leashedForLife like this.
  5. Rhea mother of Zeus

Rhea mother of Zeus Snuggling my crazy boy

I've heard you're all heat waving over there as well. Let's hope it's over soon:D

blkcat likes this.
  6. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

After being sprayed with valerian spray it was a hit, yes!

blkcat likes this.
  7. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

British heat is so close and muggy. It's deeply unpleasant :(

8. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Strongly agree. Looking forward to the end of summer already.

9. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

It's my favourite celebration of the year :) I dedicate a few days to just doing cat things and spoiling him rotten. It's much better than my birthday or Christmas :)

The big box just arrived :D do you think I should wrap it as is, or you know, check the contents is correct. Just to make sure nothing goes wrong on Saturday? ;)

He's more interested in washing himself than the box right now.

IMG_20180705_113152.jpg

Purrday prep is coming along, only two presents not under the cat tree now :)

IMG_20180705_113905.jpg

He's had a couple of small fights with the white present. It stinks if nip and has a bell on the gift tag. That might not have been my smartest idea.

10. Puddy2shoes

Oh wow, what a display, he’ll probably show more interest in the box once it’s empty and he can climb inside never to be seen again til the following day; i’m always looking out for new cat things please could you post photo’s of what you bought him once he’s ripped all the wrapping off them., thankyou.

Summercat and blkcat like this.
  11. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

A friend says exactly the same thing about the box :Hilarious I'd love to show you after the great unwrapping :) it's hard to find nice cat things, it's why I made the thread.

12. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Good job I opened the box, it's not right :(

Edit: they are being awesome about fixing it. All is not lost!

#32 blkcat, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Joy84 likes this.
  13. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

:eek:A cliffhanger!:Jawdrop:Jawdrop:Jawdrop

blkcat likes this.
  14. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Apologies for the hi-jack, but are there photos of your set up anywhere? I'm looking at getting a run and have been puzzling over how to attach it to the house. I posted in the cat runs/proofing thread yesterday about it.

Thanks in advance if you do.

blkcat likes this.
  15. leashedForLife

there are several cat-flap / tunnel / screen-room set-ups with photos on the Cat Runs sticky. :)
    I saw at least 4 or 5, there are possibly more.

- t

blkcat likes this.
  16. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Tis a twisty tail :)

bluecordelia likes this.
  17. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@MilleD It was a bit awkward but after 2/3 weeks it was obvious that Meeko wasn't going to be happy having to rely on somebody taking him out and bringing him in so we had to work out the easiest (not necessarily most attractive) way to attach a tunnel.
    Luckily we had initially built a small run over the back door so it was a matter of connecting the two............

Rather than spam this thread with lots of pics....heres a link to the thread I posted after we finished it.
    If you need to ask anything ,fire away :D............https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/meeko-has-his-own-door-key.373772/

There are a few pics in the "Cat Run Sticky" but god knows where they are.

MilleD and leashedForLife like this.
  18. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

We had such a busy day yesterday, I didn't have time to update the thread. It was very hot, 30+ degrees C inside, we were both feeling a little bit drained. One of those days where the ceiling fan doesn't help.

Anyway here we go :)

We started the day off with a game of spot the puss:

[​IMG]

Gift 1

This was his first present (don't scroll past the video if you want to guess :) )

Spoilers:

A cooling mat.

[​IMG]

I got him a dog one, because I wanted it to be comfortably big enough for him. He's about as big and long as moggies come.

At first he was not tremendously impressed and ignore it in true cat style:

[​IMG]

With a bit of treat bribery, he ventured on:

[​IMG]

Once he got the hang of it, he got comfy :)

[​IMG]

I am wondering if it's working properly. It doesn't seem very cool to me. I would liken it to the coolness when you turn your pillow over that disappears very quickly. If the mat as been in the sun, it's not even remotely cool. I will investigate further. He's not using it right now, preferring to sprawl on the clear table instead.

Lunch

Then we stopped for a spot of lunch. He got a voucher for a Lily's Kitten tray from Pets at Home for his birthday. So he had that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He liked it well enough.

[​IMG]

Gift 2

Next came this big present:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An Oz Pet Sifting litter tray:

[​IMG]

We finally took the plunge after being recommended it here a while ago. I thought he uses this several times a day. If I was looking to improve the quality of his life, maybe his loo was the way to go! He has been a wood pellet litter user for most of his life, so I expected he would take to it quite easily.

He didn't hesitate to get acquainted with it:

[​IMG]

Trying it on for size. He probably could have gone for the bigger one. But this was the same size as his previous tray and the bigger one wouldn't fit in the space.

[​IMG]

If I fits, I sits! He said :)

[​IMG]

I made him a plaque to go above his new throne. My friends nick named him 'His Royal Highness', so it may get some laughs from them when they see it. Of course, he didn't care.

Gift 3

[​IMG]

Out with the old, as basic English made plastic tray. As far as basic trays go, it had put in a fine few years service. Only gathering a couple of scratches right in the middle.

[​IMG]

In with the new!

[​IMG]

Setting the tray up:

He's tried it out this morning. All was well. Number 1 and 2. Only 2 pellets of litter made it outside the tray and no sawdust. No wet paws either. My greatest hope is that it reduced sawdust tracking and be a more comfortable experience for him. Sawdust on fur can't be nice.

Normally he would scoop all of the litter into a mound, then stand on the top of the mound. In this tray he left everything where it was until the end. When he was covering his business, he did get is claws caught in the holes in the sieve a few times. Hopefully he will get that hang of that.

I scooped it and shook it and everything feel through properly. I didn't lift the top tray off to shake it, as I didn't want to make a mess. I shook the whole thing. That seemed to work okay. If a little heavy. Previously I would chuck all the litter after every go or every other go, because he was only using a couple of scoops a tray anyway. I think over all this will be nicer for him but more effort for me.

It will be interesting to see if it's more economical. We were only got through a 30 litre bag of litter once every 2 or 3 months already.

It's slightly taller than his old tray and because the handles are on the ends where he gets in an out it makes it slightly higher again. He seems okay getting in an out but will keep a close eye that he doesn't catch his ribs on the edge because they point outwards. I might install a step if that becomes a worry.

I don't think the quality of the plastic moulding is fantastic. It has rough edges and a couple of little flaps of extra plastic on the sieve. The edges on the old tray are much smoother. I could sand these quite easily and quickly however. The weight of the plastic seems to be same, it flexes the same. My expectations for the tray were high, as the cost was £7 vs £50.

This was the gift that arrived damaged. It was chipped and heavily scratched in the corner, as well as having some other smaller scratches. I'm not sure how well the tray I have now will wear because of this. One of the reasons for decommission the old one was scratches, they collect dirt. We'll see how it goes! Brit Pet's customer service was good and did their best to make it right.

19. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Brushing

Next we had a break for a brush with the bristle brush. If I had to pick something that had most improve the quality of his life, letting him have my brush would be one of them! He loves it so much. If I pick up the brush he runs over to me like I have treats. I guess the bristle feel like the next best thing to a cat tongue.

Gift 4

This was a home made present.

[​IMG]

It's a ball mazed sorta thing. Another one of my corrugated cardboard creations.

[​IMG]

I thought if he liked it I'd made a more substantial one. He had a little play, but I don't see it getting a ton of use:

Birthday Cake

He had a tuna bake birthday cake (ergh the singing):

It was the first cake we've had we could eat together. It was fine. A little bland. It was made from a can of tuna, a few grams of grated cheese, an egg an a little bit of flour mixed together. Then baked for 20 minutes.

Gift 5

He was stuffed after that and chilled out with a Catching Lizard's catnip toy, his Aunt sent him from America:

[​IMG]

Gift 6

He had Deli Dreamies and some Thrive from my Mum (I'll spare you more videos!). And he had good fun knocking them out of his weeble penguin treat toy.

Gift 7

After that he was pretty tired again. He just wanted to hug his mouse on a stick:

[​IMG]

When he perked up again, he had a roll in some catnip:

[​IMG]

And a little go at Mr Wiggly:

Then a well earned rest of the sofa for the rest of the evening, after a hard day's partying :)

[​IMG]

If you got this far, bravo! You are very patient :) Thanks for celebrating Blk's birthday with us, I hope you enjoyed the photos :)

oliviarussian, Joy84, SbanR and 5 others like this.
  20. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

Belated Happy birthday Blk ;) you have been thoroughly spoiled you lucky boy!!

Lovely pics x

blkcat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice